Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: [Arch64] Problem running Penumbra Collection (Any game)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Originally, I did not want to make a new thread for this so fast after making my earlier one, but since the forum software attaches new posts rather than updating the whole thread, here it goes:

First, the output:

[anthrax@lynxcore PenumbraCollection]$ ./blackplague
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  138 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  182 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  36
  Current serial number in output stream:  39
Penumbra: Black Plague exited unexpectedly, please check
/home/anthrax/.frictionalgames/Penumbra/Black Plague/hpl.log
for any error messages
Also try running
ulimit -c unlimited
And re-running Penumbra and try and recreate the error
then submit the generated core file or stack trace

Contents of hpl.log:
[anthrax@lynxcore PenumbraCollection]$ cat /home/anthrax/.frictionalgames/Penumbra/Black\ Plague/hpl.log
-------- THE HPL ENGINE LOG ------------

Creating Engine Modules
Creating graphics module
Creating system module
Creating resource module
Creating input module
Creating sound module
Creating physics module
Creating ai module
Creating gui module
Creating haptic module
Creating scene module

Initializing Resources Module
Creating resource managers
Misc Creation

Initializing Graphics Module
Init low level graphics
Setting video mode: 800 x 600 - 32 bpp
Init Glee...OK
Setting up OpenGL

ulimit is set to unlimited.
Error persists for Black Plague, Requiem and Overture.

I see a small window popping up and dying, and that's it.
Had a xinerama multidisplay setup, disabled one monitor so I am now running on 1680x1050 on an NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT (driver version 260.19.29)

Output of df:
[anthrax@lynxcore ~]$ df -h
Filesystem                          Size  Used Avail  Use% Mounted on
udev                                 10M  164K  9.9M   2%    /dev
/dev/disk/by-label/archroot   7.3G  6.1G  801M  89%  /
none                                 1.5G      0   1.5G   0%   /dev/shm
/dev/sdc1                           99M   16M   79M  17%  /boot
/dev/sdc4                          141G  100G   35G  75% /home

I suspect this is a problem with the graphics system, but since neither log nor console gives any useful information, I'm stumped.

Also, I don't know what the game means by "then submit the generated core file or stack trace", since I haven't found any.
ldd blackblague.bin

First look it seems as though you don't have the 32 nvidia libraries installed correctly.

the output of LDD will tell us which version of libGL is being used. Then make sure that is the one FROM the 32bit nvidia libs.

If that is correct, then try removing libraries from the "libs" folder in the game installation that you already have on your system.

As for the coredump.. That requires a little bit of extra work.
Make sure that the core dumps are named with a PID

(as Root)
sysctl -w kernel.core_users_pid=1

Next,enable core dumping
ulimit -c unlimited

Now make sure you can write to the penumbra game directory (if you installed this under your user account, then no issue). then run the game and when it bombs run
gdb ./blackblague.bin ./core.####
replace #### with actual PID the core was created from.. Tab completion, or ls core.* to see what it is.
(and BTW.. this whole fiasco is handled soo much better in Amnesia)
[anthrax@lynxcore BlackPlague]$ ldd blackplague.bin =>  (0xf7716000) => not found => not found => /opt/lib32/usr/lib/ (0xf7680000) => not found => not found => /opt/lib32/usr/lib/ (0xf767a000) => /opt/lib32/usr/lib/ (0xf7653000) => /opt/lib32/usr/lib/ (0xf764b000) => /opt/lib32/usr/lib/ (0xf7603000) => not found => /opt/lib32/usr/lib/ (0xf7576000) => not found => /opt/lib32/usr/lib/ (0xf755a000) => /opt/lib32/usr/lib/ (0xf746a000) => /opt/lib32/lib/ (0xf7444000) => /opt/lib32/usr/lib/ (0xf7428000) => /opt/lib32/lib/ (0xf72dd000) => /opt/lib32/lib/ (0xf72c3000) => not found => /opt/lib32/lib/ (0xf72b9000) => /opt/lib32/lib/ (0xf72b5000)
    /lib/ (0xf7717000)

But exists in /usr/lib/ as well as /usr/lib32 and according to file both link to the right version of in their respective directories.

Quote:If that is correct, then try removing libraries from the "libs" folder in the game installation that you already have on your system.

This did not work. All of a sudden I got some other libs missing, mainly

Quote:(and BTW.. this whole fiasco is handled soo much better in Amnesia)

Yeah, that's another shoe. Purchased Amnesia with Penumbra, but since my connection sucks I had to relogin to the download site about 6 times for penumbra alone, and now my order ticket or whatever is suspended for the moment. Will have to contact someone come january 3rd.
That is really odd. My suggestion is to try another "simpler" 32 bit openGL application and see if it works. And try poking the Arch linux forums for extra assistance as my experience with Arch specifically is rather limited.
After prodding the depths of my system, I came to the conclusion that my almost-complete-system-goes-to-hell-update yesterday left me with incomplete packages and libs. gonna reinstall now.
Great, it works now! Reinstallation of all the 32bit-libs did the trick! I'm off getting scared Big Grin

See ya and thanks for the help!