Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
porting music and maybe monsters from TDD to A:AMFP?
Doomed316 Offline

Threads: 3
Shocked  porting music and maybe monsters from TDD to A:AMFP?

I was just wondering if it were possible at all. Its like porting an older game to a new engine (example: serious Sam tfe and Tse). Could it be done? It would create some neastolgia for a lot of fans and possibly open nodding for the game. (update) Just added brute theme for the pig creature chase music. I am going to see if I can add the shadow chase theme instead and see if that amplifies the scares. Also I think I might have gotten the servent grunt to work (will update further) (update) never mind the grunt doesn't work but it seems to react when I walk near it though
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2013, 01:33 AM by Doomed316.)
09-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Find
wretch Offline

Threads: 4
RE: porting music and maybe monsters from TDD to A:AMFP?

As the servant grunt from TDD exists in the game files, it's very likely the grunt was used as an enemy placeholder at some point in development which would mean that you most likely can add TDD monsters to AMFP.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 11:02 PM by wretch.)
09-16-2013, 10:59 PM
Find
Doomed316 Offline

(09-16-2013, 10:59 PM)wretch Wrote: As the servant grunt from TDD exists in the game files, it's very likely the grunt was used as an enemy placeholder at some point in development which would mean that you most likely can add TDD monsters to AMFP.

placeholder? What do you mean?
09-16-2013, 11:04 PM
Find
wretch Offline

(09-16-2013, 11:04 PM)Doomed316 Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 10:59 PM)wretch Wrote: As the servant grunt from TDD exists in the game files, it's very likely the grunt was used as an enemy placeholder at some point in development which would mean that you most likely can add TDD monsters to AMFP.

"Placeholders are an excellent way to support code development without waiting on asset completion. Using placeholder graphics decouples programming and art schedules, allowing them to progress independently of each other. By using quick and effective placeholders, the coders can get to work on what’s important without being held back waiting on final assets to be finished."

Quoted from here, since I'm pretty bad at explaining something properly: http://mvinetwork.co.uk/2010/03/28/place...-in-games/
09-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Find
Doomed316 Offline

(09-16-2013, 11:11 PM)wretch Wrote:

"Placeholders are an excellent way to support code development without waiting on asset completion. Using placeholder graphics decouples programming and art schedules, allowing them to progress independently of each other. By using quick and effective placeholders, the coders can get to work on what’s important without being held back waiting on final assets to be finished."

Quoted from here, since I'm pretty bad at explaining something properly: http://mvinetwork.co.uk/2010/03/28/place...-in-games/

my assumption is that it won't be easy to do. Its not like I can port the models and Ai config to AAMFP can I?
09-16-2013, 11:20 PM
Find
wretch Offline

(09-16-2013, 11:20 PM)Doomed316 Wrote:

my assumption is that it won't be easy to do. Its not like I can port the models and Ai config to AAMFP can I?

The model, config, and animations of one of the Amnesia TDD enemies is already in the game files, but not used in the game. You can find it in *amfp folder*/entities/enemy/servant_grunt

It's very likely this was used at some point in development, which would mean the model is fully working for AMFP.

As for the AI, well the .ent files which have the monsters stats have plenty to do with the AI. I haven't tried it yet, but it is definetly possible.

As for the music, since both AMFP and TDD's sound files use the same format (.ogg), porting (replacing) music is as easy as copypasting the sound into the AMFP folder and renaming it. If you want to add brand new sound files into the game without replacing any old ones, you'll probably have to script them in. It should be already possible, since you can modify the .hps (which control the maps script) files already.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 11:29 PM by wretch.)
09-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Find
Doomed316 Offline

(09-16-2013, 11:26 PM)wretch Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 11:20 PM)Doomed316 Wrote:

The model, config, and animations of one of the Amnesia TDD enemies is already in the game files, but not used in the game. You can find it in *amfp folder*/entities/enemy/servant_grunt

It's very likely this was used at some point in development, which would mean the model is fully working for AMFP.

As for the AI, well the .ent files which have the monsters stats have plenty to do with the AI. I haven't tried it yet, but it is definetly possible.

As for the music, since both AMFP and TDD's sound files use the same format (.ogg), porting (replacing) music is as easy as copypasting the sound into the AMFP folder and renaming it. If you want to add brand new sound files into the game without replacing any old ones, you'll probably have to script them in. It should be already possible, since you can modify the .hps (which control the maps script) files already.

I am not seeing amnesia a machine for pigs in my steam comon folder at all. Its in my documents for some reason

I think I get what you mean by place holder. I was beta testing a game and dug up some history on the game and they used unreal tournament 3 weapons as place holders for the weapons they planned on using. I would need the HPL2.5 editor if it exists for the servent grunt to be ported
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2013, 12:02 AM by Doomed316.)
09-16-2013, 11:48 PM
Find