Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Which character should the story follow?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Philip, following the Overture plot
26.32%
5 26.32%
Philip, following the Tech Demo plot
26.32%
5 26.32%
Philip, following a mixed/new plot
15.79%
3 15.79%
Amabel
21.05%
4 21.05%
Other
10.53%
2 10.53%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What would you like to see a fan-fiction of?
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13
What would you like to see a fan-fiction of?

So yesterday I explored Word 2010 for a while, a program that I've had for some time but never really pressed all buttons and used all commands in. So in order to get a concrete text to try out the new features and layouts on I wrote a Penumbra short story. It's basically just Philip walking around outside until he finds and enters the hatch, but I like how the layout and all turned out plus it was great practice for my english.
So I might end up writing a bit more.

So anyways what part of everything would people like to see fan fiction of? I could write either basically what happens in the game or written from Amabel's perspective at the time of the outbreak or something like that. Or some completely unseen character in a part of the Shelter that Philip never visits, like Dermot the security guy mentioned in one text :p
Right now the text is also Overture-true. I was also thinking of perhaps making it Tech-Demo themed. There's a lot of really cool things going on in the tech demo so I might end up mixing them into something somewhat original.
Just got a bunch of free time right now and feel like passing time.
I'll also try making a poll just for the heck of it Wink

The pdf can be downloaded here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?k012thyzmyz
Page one is just a test cover page I did with the built in cover-page function.
First artwork is edited art by the Penumbra team, the second one is an edited screenshot.
The page header isn't very neat. Nor is the "cover page". But I was trying out functions so they're in there anyways.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
05-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Find
Felix Atagong Offline

Threads: 2
RE: What would you like to see a fan-fiction of?

I wouldn't mind a graphic (fan-made) novel about Penumbra, although there is the chance that it would be utterly boring: all the same rooms, corridors, artefacts, etc... serious weeding to make the story going would be needed...

But of course one could spice up the story by adding flash-backs from the (dead) people Philip meets (and the notes he finds):
Red obviously, but also Amabel (she sees Philip coming in, she runs at him arms wide open to give him that promised hug, and realises - a little too late -he is going to kill her...)
The story from the guy who turned into a dog...
The story of the guy who cut off his own tongue...

And it could (try to) explain some loose ends:

how does it come that Phil is captured at the end of Overture and not killed, like all the other Infected do when they meet him?

why do the Infected in the corridors try to kill Philip as it is just a matter of time before he turns into a zombie as well?

why do the Infected kill all those scientists instead of capturing them and infecting them (like they apparently did with Phil)?

Some Penumbra 2006 TD Hints and a Dutch localisation file can be found at http://atagong.com/penumbra
05-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Website Find
Kedjane Offline

I don't think anyone turned into a dog Big Grin But one guy went pretty much nuts and started eating dogs, I think.
But yes. It's a bit hard to make it interesting when you do it the exact same.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
05-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Find
Petike Offline

Threads: 35

(05-29-2010, 05:44 PM)Kedjane Wrote: I don't think anyone turned into a dog Big Grin But one guy went pretty much nuts and started eating dogs, I think.
But yes. It's a bit hard to make it interesting when you do it the exact same.

It was implied, that Frisk became severely mutated and crazy, ever for an Infected. Though we never saw what he looked like after he started living (and eating) in the kennels, his mere presence in the kennel sequence unnerved me better than any of the other scary scenes in the series. I was effin' scared after I beat the kennels section and I had a hard time going to sleep after that. Smile

A graphic novel or some written fan fiction would be nice, but it really needs an original approach from the author. I agree that telling a more point-of-view story or extrapolating Philip's journey beyond the official ending of the Tech Demo could prove fairly interesting. Personally, I'm still toying with that old idea of writing an Overture parody (pre-emptively titled Penumbra : Overkill), but I currently have more important work to do. Undecided
(05-26-2010, 04:52 PM)Kedjane Wrote: The pdf can be downloaded here:
Page one is just a test cover page I did with the built in cover-page function.
First artwork is edited art by the Penumbra team, the second one is an edited screenshot.
The page header isn't very neat. Nor is the "cover page". But I was trying out functions so they're in there anyways.

Pretty good.

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2010, 01:58 PM by Petike.)
06-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

I'd say Tech Demo.
Mostly it was the first Penumbra ever made and there for should have had some sort of an good ending. Now it just leaves questions.

Also, I think it was the most scariest of all of them.
Tech Demo > Black Plague > Overture > Requiem.

06-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Website Find
jaom7 Offline

Threads: 0

(06-19-2010, 02:06 PM)Scraper Wrote: I'd say Tech Demo.
Mostly it was the first Penumbra ever made and there for should have had some sort of an good ending. Now it just leaves questions.

Just one question , is the tech demo still available for download? if so, can you provide a link? I am curious about it.
07-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Find
TheLittleGarfield Offline

Threads: 2

http://www.frictionalgames.com/site/penumbradownload Enjoy

Meh...
07-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Find
naturon Offline

Threads: 1

(07-02-2010, 01:58 PM)jaom7 Wrote:
(06-19-2010, 02:06 PM)Scraper Wrote: I'd say Tech Demo.

Just one question , is the tech demo still available for download? if so, can you provide a link? I am curious about it.

http://www.frictionalgames.com/site/penumbradownload/

I don't particularly mean to practice condescension by saying this, but a simple Google search containing the details "Penumbra", "tech demo" and "download" yielded a download link hosted on this site.
07-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

That's what I wrote in one night, .pdf format so easy viewing. 900 words, just up until Philip reaches the hatch. There's two bits of artwork two: one is an edited artwork by Frictional and one is an edited screenshot. I've also got a third bit of artwork, a screenshot from the first tech demo corridor edited in a similar way.
Tonight I'm really bored so I might write a bit more soon.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
07-14-2010, 12:57 AM
Find
MassacrMan Offline

Threads: 3

(07-14-2010, 12:57 AM)Kedjane Wrote: http://www.mediafire.com/?k012thyzmyz
That's what I wrote in one night, .pdf format so easy viewing. 900 words, just up until Philip reaches the hatch. There's two bits of artwork two: one is an edited artwork by Frictional and one is an edited screenshot. I've also got a third bit of artwork, a screenshot from the first tech demo corridor edited in a similar way.
Tonight I'm really bored so I might write a bit more soon.

I absolutely loved it, any plans to continue?
07-14-2010, 11:38 PM
Find