Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What's the worst part of the game? (Opinions)
Spooder Wekd Offline

Threads: 10
What's the worst part of the game? (Opinions)

So, I'm seeing a lot of redundancy in the treads as of late. So I ask you a question that I do not think has been asked before. What is the least strong point of the game, in your opinion?

For me, it's the enemies. In penumbra, an enemy would patrol an area until you killed it. This, coupled with the fact that enemies were extremely plentiful, made the game very tense. I felt less scared knowing in Amnesia I could just hide and it would all be over soon. Also, there were very few enemy encounters in the game, and none were all that memorable. I hate to bring up penumbra again, but there were boss-ish enemies, and intense chase sequences. I would have liked to see more of these in Amnesia.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2011, 12:58 AM by Spooder Wekd.)
01-01-2011, 12:57 AM
Website Find
Sel Offline

RE: What's the worst part of the game? (Opinions)

Just about everything after meeting Agrippa.
01-01-2011, 01:05 AM
Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16

(01-01-2011, 01:05 AM)Sel Wrote: Agrippa.

01-01-2011, 01:56 AM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

I don't know why everyone hated Agrippa so much. I know he talked a lot but I was just so damned happy to finally find someone that I didn't really mind...
01-01-2011, 02:02 AM
Website Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

For me it would have to be the characterization. Not the characters themselves, but how they are introduced and built.

Spoiler below!
I liked it more in Penumbra where your objective was constantly to get to someone who promised you something in return for your help. I was compelled to find ways to get to Red, Eminiss, and Amabel because I built up a relationship with each.

In Amnesia, the only living person is Agrippa, and there's barely any buildup to his reveal. You then do some tasks for him and continue onward. I think there should have been more characters to actually build a friendship with, rather than just learn about through flashbacks and notes.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2011, 05:42 AM by Sexbad.)
01-01-2011, 02:44 AM
Website Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

This thread is going to be one huge spoiler.

The part of the game from the end of prison, going into Cistern until you meet Agrippa, or so, there's little plot advancement, I got a little antsy, kept expecting to hit a sideplot or something to expand on the story. While I enjoyed the atmosphere puzzles and design of that area, it seemed a little too slowly paced, like it was earmarked for some expansion of Alexander's character if they had time, and they did not.
01-01-2011, 05:07 AM
Find
Shev Offline

Threads: 25

Spoiler below!
Game got predictable.

Enemys stopped being scary after the dungeon, except the first real encounter with a brute in the sewers.

Stealth system needed a little bit of work.

Some puzzles seemed to contradict how the game tries to be all immersible, and give you multiple solutions. For example: In the dungeons when you get the hammer and chisel, why can't you use one of the square shaped stones as a hammer instead of having to go find the hammer?

Sanity system needed work. I mean, they probably should have thought of another way to keep a player in the light, so they have to debate over hiding and risk being seen by staying in the light, however being afraid of the dark is just kinda lame.

I can understand being in like the storage room level where its completely dark everywhere, but if its a well lit area and you're in the small shadows, you shouldn't start losing it. They probably should have made it more related to strange events and monsters, rather than the darkness.

(01-01-2011, 02:44 AM)Lee Wrote: For me it would have to be the characterization. Not the characters themselves, but how they are introduced and built.
Spoiler below!

I liked it more in Penumbra where your objective was constantly to get to someone who promised you something in return for your help. I was compelled to find ways to get to Red, Eminiss, and Amabel because I built up a relationship with each.

In Amnesia, the only living person is Agrippa, and there's barely any buildup to his reveal. You then do some tasks for him and continue onward. I think there should have been more characters to actually build a friendship with, rather than just learn about through flashbacks and notes.

Spoiler below!
I honestly didn't even turn that lever he told me to turn to talk to him at first, because I was like "Something really bads going to happen if I do.... Turns out I was right"

Actually, tbh aggrisomething wasn't that bad.

i spam meme 4 raeg
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2011, 05:26 AM by Shev.)
01-01-2011, 05:21 AM
Find
Culinus Offline

Threads: 0

There are mainly two things that I thought could have been a lot better.

First, there were several things (specifically in puzzles) that just felt unclear. Not that the puzzles were too hard, but rather that they were very simple but just unclear about how things operated. Like the "break the window puzzle", that's hardly a puzzle, just a new game mechanic. Same thing goes with detonating the explosives in the cellar, I think I spent 30mins trying to get the thing to explode and even after I succeeded I'm still not quite sure what I did. I don't mind being stuck on a hard puzzle if I find it stimulating, but spending an unnecessarily long time figuring out something incredibly simplistic just makes me hit my head on the desk after completing it rather getting an endorphin kick out of having achieved something.

The second thing is that the Brute and Grunt just disappear after having been on a level for more then a couple of minutes. I like the fact that they can just seemingly appear and disappear because things that doesn't obey the laws of physics are scary, but after a while you figure out that if you haven't completed a level / map in a certain amount of time you're completely safe from monsters, unless you trigger some event.

Those are the two things that I really found to be "bad" when playing the game (although over all it's a very good game, I can point out bad things in any game). I would however like to add one thing that wasn't actually bad, it could just have been a lot better. I'm talking about the shadow. It just had such potential to be really good and scary, it sounded really awesome when reading Daniel's Note to Self; something unknown is following him that destroys everything in it's way and can't be fought. However, even though the shadow filled it's purpose, it wasn't really scary in any way, shape of form. I think it would have been better if the shadow was rarely encountered, hardly ever seen and not actually made of any matter; like a shadow or energy form.

And another thing that I would like to see improved in the next game would be if there was less need to hit the Tab key. It breaks immersion having to hit it every time I'm getting hit by the Water Lurker Thing to see my health for example. I really loved the fact that there was hardly any UI or that you got text message indication of your Health / Sanity instead of having a bar / percentage amount. But having some other indication like blood on your screen (or something more original) to show how well your doing would add to the experience. It would also be cool if you could get your items without actually pausing the game.
01-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

(01-01-2011, 05:22 PM)Culinus Wrote: And another thing that I would like to see improved in the next game would be if there was less need to hit the Tab key. It breaks immersion having to hit it every time I'm getting hit by the Water Lurker Thing to see my health for example. I really loved the fact that there was hardly any UI or that you got text message indication of your Health / Sanity instead of having a bar / percentage amount. But having some other indication like blood on your screen (or something more original) to show how well your doing would add to the experience. It would also be cool if you could get your items without actually pausing the game.

In Penumbra, you could assign hotkeys (numbers 1-9) to any item. You also had an effect on the screen when you took damage. I find it interesting that everything that is not stellar in this game is actually in the older games by Frictional...
01-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Website Find
DIGI Byte Offline

Threads: 20

Yeah whats the deal with that!?

Why did frictional remove some features for the game? just because it wasn't in the standalone game-play?

features are nice, leave them in :S
Spoiler below!

Its the reason I HAD TO CANCEL COURAGE!!!

I mean really? was it that resource heavy that you had to remove a few paragraphs of code?
honestly I kinda want to make a mod for penumbra instead :S

01-02-2011, 12:27 AM
Find