Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

My problems with the expansion
Shev Offline

Threads: 25
My problems with the expansion

Yeah I know it was free, but I'm still free to say what could have been improved.

Everyone on this forum will probably cover what was good over and over again, so I'm going to skip ahead to what could have been improved (even if this was rushed, its still better to have some criticism)

Spoiler below!
First off: The new monster. While he is scarier than most things you see, he is no successor to jawless. The ring around his mouth made me think of this guy http://images.wikia.com/ed/images/f/f8/Jimmy.gif
Even better example: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20..._Jimmy.jpg and the voice acting of the one who patrols the darker area had good voice acting, but horrible for a monster. He reminded me of thugs in oblivion who where looking for you.

The new rope(?) thing you added is nice, but the cracks inbetween the joints or whatever is connecting them together are a bit too obvious. You can probably solve this by extending the leangth a bit more so it fills in that hole and then curving the edge so its harder to tell theres a joint there.

Just the only problems I can think of off the top of my head that I had with it, I guess this is a place to post your beefs with it. Over all though there is way more good than bad.

i spam meme 4 raeg
04-13-2011, 01:42 AM
Find
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13
RE: My problems with the expansion

No saves, an exciting new twist and painful curse all at once! Angry Tongue
04-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Find
marzy Offline

Threads: 2

New monster was cool. I have no idea what you mean by the rope..

Sounds like you're really picking at nothing heh Wink
04-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

Amnesia had ropes before...
04-14-2011, 11:22 PM
Find
Shev Offline

(04-14-2011, 11:22 PM)nofsky Wrote: Amnesia had ropes before...

You mean like the one with thats connected to the lantern connected to the door? Because I honestly don't recall any that had huge gaps in between the joints like that one did.

(04-14-2011, 09:32 PM)marzy Wrote: New monster was cool. I have no idea what you mean by the rope..

Sounds like you're really picking at nothing heh Wink

The monster was lame in my opinion. He was really just a guy with a slight red tint to his skin, no eyes, a x on his chest, some random chains around his arm, and a collar which I thought was one of those round obnoxious retainers. Nowhere near as creepy as the original monsters from amnesia.

As for the rope this. its a small thing but something to improve.
http://i56.tinypic.com/jql4iv.jpg
It was a lot more obvious in game than in the screenshot.

(04-14-2011, 03:32 PM)gandalf91 Wrote: No saves, an exciting new twist and painful curse all at once! Angry Tongue

Yeah that was pretty cool. Reminds me of RE: Outbreak where you could save, but if you died you had to start from the begging of the game, and your saves deleted.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the expansion was bad, its actually great. I'm just pointing out things to improve on, because I'm about progress.

i spam meme 4 raeg
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2011, 11:50 PM by Shev.)
04-14-2011, 11:29 PM
Find
marzy Offline

Threads: 2

Each to their own I suppose, I thought it looked good.. I'm glad it didn't stray away from the original monster design too much. Still freaked me out Big Grin
04-15-2011, 12:52 AM
Find
thepaleking Offline

Threads: 1

Spoiler below!
Though the monster wasn't as gruesome as the grunt, it was still scary while maintaining the context of the game. Remember that unlike the grunt, it is not a supernatural enemy; it's a man that has been tortured and had his eyes gouged out.
04-15-2011, 05:01 AM
Find
Pojoman Offline

I thought the monster had awesome sounds, the chains rattling when he walked gave me the shivers
04-15-2011, 05:23 AM
Find
Shev Offline

(04-15-2011, 05:01 AM)thepaleking Wrote:
Spoiler below!
Though the monster wasn't as gruesome as the grunt, it was still scary while maintaining the context of the game. Remember that unlike the grunt, it is not a supernatural enemy; it's a man that has been tortured and had his eyes gouged out.
I honestly didn't find him scary at all. And just because its not suppose to be supernatural, doesn't mean that it couldn't be improved. I'm not saying it was bad, but it wasn't exactly good either.

(04-15-2011, 05:23 AM)Pojoman Wrote: I thought the monster had awesome sounds, the chains rattling when he walked gave me the shivers
The one in the darker area didn't sound intimidating at all, it just reminded me of the guys from oblivion from how he sounded.

i spam meme 4 raeg
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2011, 09:05 AM by Shev.)
04-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Find
Macil Offline

I loved Amnesia: TDD ...

I'm not sure how I feel about this DLC. I appreciate that it was free and I think it had its moments. It certainly had good production values and to say that I didn't enjoy it would be a lie. I think the no-save thing spoiled my opinion somewhat. Here are my criticisms for those who care:

Spoiler below!

I didn't like the design of the second puzzle.

I can understand the logic looking back on it, but arriving there without that hindsight, I think, requires a few leaps of logic.

Given these two statements:
  • "Using the Puzzle Box has proven more difficult as she tends to always choose two slides with characters facing the same way."
  • "Father said I picked the wrong slide yesterday when I made the chambermaid cry. He wanted me to pick the one with the sword, while I picked the man on the right."

.. the implication, to me, seems to be that two men facing the same way (right) is the WRONG answer. In order for you to conclude slide 4 and slide 3, you have to assume the combination to the Puzzle Lock has been changed by Justine from however her father had it set up to begin with (you also have to assume the order in the Soul Journal is correct or relevant). I'm not convinced this is a reasonable assumption to make.

Also, were the lit/unlit chandeliers ("look for divine inspiration") and the different sized statues (I believe there's 4 short men and 3 tall men, btw -- coincidence?) meant to be red herrings? Heh.

I didn't care for the inability to save. Having to finish the whole DLC in one-sitting seems unnecessary (and usually very inconvenient for me) and I don't think the frustration of either: #1. accidentally killing one of the dudes (assuming your goal is to save them and for me it was), #2. missing a note, #3. getting nipped once by the enemy (and dying) and having to start over is worth it.

In fact, I didn't even finish the DLC myself (not sure I will, either) -- I watched the last 3 minutes or so on YouTube after getting caught (barely) in the flooded area and saying "forget it" -- of course, those aren't the exact words I used. I had started over a few times already (I'm a box tower master now, btw.)

This is coming from someone who has finished a Dead Space 2 Hardcore run and thought that was pretty intense, heh (at least you get 3 saves there). Amnesia's style isn't conducive to the "Iron Man" or "hardcore" style, IMO -- you're just going to desensitize people when you have to restart.

I understand that the Valve/Portal ARG probably had some influence on the "hardcore" decision and I know some people like it (that's cool). I understand the sense of achievement one gets from doing it (see my point about Dead Space 2 above) -- I'm just not convinced it works here. Again, this is just my opinion.

That said, I enjoyed the level design, the new voices, sounds, the new "monster" (he has some foul language!) and of course the atmosphere (I hope this stuff is available in the edtior ...) I got some legitimate chills and was certain the Suitor was going to break out of the library door. Think that freaked me out the most. Unfortunately, restarting turned fear into apathy/anger after awhile.

BTW -- is that Mad Moxxi (from Borderlands) as Justine? Sure sounds like it.

Still looking forward to the next game. Thanks for your hard work on this!
04-16-2011, 02:47 AM
Find