Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Is map making hard? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: Is map making hard? (/thread-5158.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Is map making hard? - Mr. X - 10-25-2010

Only thing that is hard imo is getting the map to work in-game, i followed all instructions but it still wouldnt work Q__Q

RE: Is map making hard? - Zergalag - 10-25-2010

Mr. X, I'd recommend copying someone else's custom_story_settings and edit it so it works for you. That's what I did, and it works like a charm.

RE: Is map making hard? - PrinceCola - 10-26-2010

So when i buy the game is the map creators already in it? Some kind of update on steam?

RE: Is map making hard? - Kurton - 10-26-2010

I have a similar question as OP. What I'd like to know is how does the editor work? Is it subtractive / additive brushes like Unreal, or is it arranging pieces from sets, like as groups of "Walls", "Floors", and "Ceilings", etc?

Of course, if there were a Mac version out already I wouldn't have to ask this. -.-

RE: Is map making hard? - Slith - 10-26-2010

I would say the editor is by far one of the easiest one I've ever used but still offers the creative room to make pretty much exactly the custom story of your liking. Might take an hour or so of trial and error but when you get into it it's very rewarding Smile (Note: scripting on the other hand can be a hassle, but check out the tutrorials and other peoples custom stories to get the idea how it works)

The editors is a seperate download from the Frictional Games site. Just download and stick the files inn your amnesia redist Wink

Kurton: It's like arranging peices from sets (walls and objects). For floors and ceilings you'd make a plane and apply a texture (this can be done for walls also).

RE: Is map making hard? - zlandael - 10-27-2010

The map editor is very, very, easy. It just takes time and patience to create the levels (in one sitting. oops)

RE: Is map making hard? - Mr. X - 10-28-2010

(10-25-2010, 07:38 PM)Zergalag Wrote: Mr. X, I'd recommend copying someone else's custom_story_settings and edit it so it works for you. That's what I did, and it works like a charm.

Oh, i'll try that, thanks! Big Grin
(10-25-2010, 07:38 PM)Zergalag Wrote: Mr. X, I'd recommend copying someone else's custom_story_settings and edit it so it works for you. That's what I did, and it works like a charm.

IT WORKED!!! Thank you very much! I wish i could give you 10000 hugs ;_;

RE: Is map making hard? - house - 10-29-2010

(10-28-2010, 02:32 PM)Mr. X Wrote:

Oh, i'll try that, thanks! Big Grin

IT WORKED!!! Thank you very much! I wish i could give you 10000 hugs ;_;

It works if you imagine it. Smile Or send your 10,000 hugs in the mail. I've gotten like, 10 Custom_story_settings to work. (I've already made lots of maps.)