Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Was Amnesia your first horror game? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Was Amnesia your first horror game? (/thread-10705.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Was Amnesia your first horror game? - CheshireUsagi - 10-11-2011

I'm actually finding this to be a very common trend, a lot of people seem to be saying that Amnesia is the first horror game they've ever played. This includes myself, I never even had an interest in the genre until this game came along.

I can't help but wonder why, of all games, this one would suck me in the most, and for other people as well; what made Amnesia really pique your interest in the genre? What sets it apart from all those other horror games out there?

I'm really looking forward to reading your guys' insight to see if it matches my own. :3

RE: Was Amnesia your first horror game? - Googolplex - 10-11-2011

My first horror game was Penumbra (Overture, Black Plague and Requiem).
After that I was waiting for Amnesia's release, because at this time Penumbra was the best game of all time for me.
Amnesia was even fantastic, but Penumbra was the better experience at all.

I play no other horror games, because I don't like to be a superhero.

RE: Was Amnesia your first horror game? - LuckyBlackCatXIII - 10-11-2011

Well hey, familiar face!

Amnesia was the first horror video game I ever played since I've never been much of a fan for the genre, as I felt most games didn't really capture the true essence of horror. After seeing the "Oh shit I have a bag of milky ways!" video along with countless others where men were screaming like little girls I just had to see what it was about this game that was causing this.

And because of that I can say that I am so glad my curiosity got me to play this game.

RE: Was Amnesia your first horror game? - MasaMainio - 10-11-2011

It wasn't my first. First horror games I played were The Exmortis (1, 2, 3) and the Stone of Anamara. Afterwards my friend introduced me to Amnesia and it was one hell of a game. After that I played all Penumbra.

Amnesia really was a good game, but Penumbra had better story line, experience and overall was a better game.

I hope Frictionals next game will be close to the Penumbra style, Al thought they should keep the Amnesia game mechanic.

RE: Was Amnesia your first horror game? - Cryaotic - 10-11-2011

I dabbled in a few flash horror games when I was younger for literally a minute or two before I fear quit.

My first real horror game was Penumbra Overture, which I never actually was able to finish because I didn't have the nerve. Then I finally tackled Amnesia.

So first horror game I actually beat? Yes, yes it was!

RE: Was Amnesia your first horror game? - CatFood - 10-11-2011

Yes, Amnesia was the first horror game that I played. My friend introduced me to it. After I beat Amnesia, I played all the Penumbra games and loved them also. Then it seemed like I hit a wall. I tried many other horror games, but I didn't seem to have as much fun as I did while playing Amnesia/Penumbra. Still to this day, I can't find a game where I've had as much fun as I did while playing Amnesia and Penumbra.

Edit: Hello Cry!! ^ Huge fan Big Grin

RE: Was Amnesia your first horror game? - TheJesut - 10-11-2011

It was one of my first, I have played silent hill+ the penumbra series. (Silent hill 3 great game). Other then those yea just about. After penumbra and amnesia I have been playing thm ever since.

RE: Was Amnesia your first horror game? - Mina Darsh - 10-11-2011

My first horror game was... Well, don't laugh, Doom 3. Big Grin Of course Amnesia mobs the floor with Doom 3 as Doom is purely: "Boo!" "Eek!" *Shoots, and on goes the journey to get off Mars.*

RE: Was Amnesia your first horror game? - Frost - 10-11-2011

Amnesia was my first, yes. My first exposure to it was a screencap of a grunt. I just sat there and stared at it, terrified, and I loved it.
I ended up doing my own research on the game (too much research, bad idea). I loved the storyline, the insanity, the physics, and the lack of guns, since I have no experience with first-person shooters.
It was just about everything I ever wanted in a game. Plus horror. It's awesome.
What made me sad was trying to look for similar games after I had finished Amnesia and Penumbra...

RE: Was Amnesia your first horror game? - CheshireUsagi - 10-12-2011

(10-11-2011, 09:55 PM)Frost Wrote: Amnesia was my first, yes. My first exposure to it was a screencap of a grunt. I just sat there and stared at it, terrified, and I loved it.
I ended up doing my own research on the game (too much research, bad idea). I loved the storyline, the insanity, the physics, and the lack of guns, since I have no experience with first-person shooters.
It was just about everything I ever wanted in a game. Plus horror. It's awesome.
What made me sad was trying to look for similar games after I had finished Amnesia and Penumbra...
I think the lack of any actual weapon was the thing that really drew me to it the most. I'm tired of horror games where you can just shoot things to make them go away, it just seems boring and redundant. Having the power to just kill anything that comes in your path completely ruins the feeling of dread and helplessness that true horror instills. In Penumbra, you can kill the dogs with the pickaxe, but its exceedingly difficult and you still lose your wits if you don't pull it off right. I think everyone's just been waiting for these games to come along, games that require you to use your wits instead of just shooting everything mindlessly.

(10-11-2011, 02:11 PM)LuckyBlackCatXIII Wrote: Well hey, familiar face!

Amnesia was the first horror video game I ever played since I've never been much of a fan for the genre, as I felt most games didn't really capture the true essence of horror. After seeing the "Oh shit I have a bag of milky ways!" video along with countless others where men were screaming like little girls I just had to see what it was about this game that was causing this.

And because of that I can say that I am so glad my curiosity got me to play this game.
YOOOO. <3

You'll be sad to know that the "milky ways" video that made us all be curious about amnesia has been removed from youtube. sad day. D: You might have already known that though. :'D