Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods - Development (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-38.html)
+--- Thread: [Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread (/thread-11760.html)

RE: Screenshot criticism thread - No Author - 03-16-2013

(03-16-2013, 04:55 PM)DeAngelo Wrote: OK, I see what you guys are saying about the lamp. My CS is gonna be a pretty linear story-focused one so I actually didn't plan on giving the player any tinderboxes in the first place, but I'll keep that "examine area" trick in mind for any future times I want to have a lamp for decoration but not have it be lightable. I've added the colors you suggested and moved the billboards so they don't clip through the floor (I hope)

Here's a screen with your suggestions. From this angle, the far billboards almost look like they're clipping, but I went up to them and they fade right before they hit the floor so I think I got the angle perfect.

Spoiler below!
[Image: 2013-03-16_00001.jpg]

The color doesn't seem right to me.

RE: Screenshot criticism thread - DeAngelo - 03-16-2013

(03-16-2013, 05:05 PM)Robosprog Wrote: Billboards look nicer now, though the actual spotlight color seems a bit.. off, maybe make it 0.8, 0.45, 0.13? Just a bit lighter than the billboards and it'll give the room a golden color (i feel terrible for this haha xD)
Don't feel bad, you're trying to help me and I commend you for that. Last person who tried to help me needed psychiatric treatment for 4 years. And if we can't get a good color going I'll eventually just close the curtains and say "fuck it, it's night time." lol. Here's it with the spotlight changed. Also I changed the boxlight to be the exact same color as the billboards to give the billboards a less "in your face" feeling. I think it looks pretty good, but let me know.

Spoiler below!
[Image: 2013-03-16_00002.jpg]

(03-16-2013, 05:25 PM)Robosprog Wrote: I like it, boxlight should be a tad darker though, and a bit more brown so the golden color compliments it. I think a carpet might benefit the library as well, and maybe a shield on the wall in between the curtains.

Thanks. I'm taking a break for now, but I'll get some more screenshots up tonight or something. About the carpet and stuff, I always do superfluous decorations last as I find that it makes selecting objects a pain. Definitely gonna throw some carpets down and whatnot Smile

RE: Screenshot criticism thread - Khyrpa - 03-16-2013

Contrast.
Spoiler below!

[Image: ncjmoj.jpg]

See what I'm getting at here?
Took the pic into photoshop, decresed the lower values, decreased the lower values of red.

If you want a calm feeling for the place, sure dont use as much contrast, but it looks a lot less engaging that way. Mine could be more like a sunset type of lighting as in a more direct one light source.

(03-16-2013, 07:11 PM)Khyrpa Wrote: Contrast.
Spoiler below!

[Image: ncjmoj.jpg]

See what I'm getting at here?
Took the pic into photoshop, decresed the lower values, decreased the lower values of red.

If you want a calm feeling for the place, sure dont use as much contrast, but it looks a lot less engaging that way. Mine could be more like a sunset type of lighting as in a more direct one light source.

How would I get that effect in game? Lowering the box light while putting the spotlight up a bit?

Alright, Pushed the boxlight down to 0.3,0.1,0.03. Still looks a tad red so feel free to give me a better brown number set. I'm gonna see if I can find a guide online with like pictures to let me pick a color and then see what numbers would make that color. Also, can anyone tell me what the heck the A does in the settings? I assume it stands for Alpha or something, but changing it doesn't seem to do anything.

Spoiler below!
[Image: 2013-03-16_00003.jpg]

Edit: Just tried it with the R at .2 instead of .3 and here's the result.

Spoiler below!
[Image: 2013-03-16_00004.jpg]

RE: Screenshot criticism thread - Adny - 03-16-2013

The latter is preferable imo; it offers a better contrast. Also, as far as I know alpha has no effect on box lights, only particles/billboards/spot/point.

Something I just noticed though:
At the bottom of the window sill, it looks like a pretty significant amount of light is bleeding through.

(03-16-2013, 08:19 PM)Adny Wrote: The latter is preferable imo; it offers a better contrast. Also, as far as I know alpha has no effect on box lights, only particles/billboards/spot/point.

Something I just noticed though:
At the bottom of the window sill, it looks like a pretty significant amount of light is bleeding through.

Thanks. The bleeding is probably the pointlights I'm using to illuminate the window itself. I'll make the ones near the bottom smaller.

RE: Screenshot criticism thread - FlawlessHappiness - 03-16-2013

I started an overgrown theme.

Spoiler below!

[Image: 30xecuw.jpg]

Spoiler below!

[Image: 2zhdx54.jpg]

(03-16-2013, 08:30 PM)BeeKayK Wrote: I started an overgrown theme.

Spoiler below!

[Image: 30xecuw.jpg]

Spoiler below!

[Image: 2zhdx54.jpg]

Why does Creepshow spring to mind...