Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
How to make an enemy spawn facing a certain way - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods - Development (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-38.html)
+---- Forum: Development Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-39.html)
+---- Thread: How to make an enemy spawn facing a certain way (/thread-11868.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: How to make an enemy spawn facing a certain way - Your Computer - 12-15-2011

Not sure what you meant by wanting the monster to not have animations, but if it is as how i interpreted it, then why not just use the .dae file of the monster? If by animation you meant walking to the path node, you could just place the path node 0.01 meters or less in front of the monster in the direction you want him to stare at (and possibly have a timer remove all patrol nodes). As for the monster disappearing before reaching him: monsters are automatically disabled under one condition: the player is out of the monster's activation distance. Default distance is 40 20 meters. The only way the monster will stay activated when the player is out of the activation distance is if the player can still see the monster. Your only option if the monster disappears is to increase the activation distance, in this way the path node directly in front of the monster will work; however, as implied, the monster, if triggers are active, will be sticking around for a long time.

RE: How to make an enemy spawn facing a certain way - Cryaotic - 12-15-2011

(12-15-2011, 09:47 AM)Your Computer Wrote: Not sure what you meant by wanting the monster to not have animations, but if it is as how i interpreted it, then why not just use the .dae file of the monster? If by animation you meant walking to the path node, you could just place the path node 0.01 meters or less in front of the monster in the direction you want him to stare at (and possibly have a timer remove all patrol nodes). As for the monster disappearing before reaching him: monsters are automatically disabled under one condition: the player is out of the monster's activation distance. Default distance is 40 meters. The only way the monster will stay activated when the player is out of the activation distance is if the player can still see the monster. Your only option if the monster disappears is to increase the activation distance, in this way the path node directly in front of the monster will work; however, as implied, the monster, if triggers are active, will be sticking around for a long time.
That sounds like exactly what I am aiming for! Though my final question is, how do I increase the activation distance of the enemy?

RE: How to make an enemy spawn facing a certain way - Your Computer - 12-15-2011

(12-15-2011, 10:02 AM)Cryaotic Wrote: That sounds like exactly what I am aiming for! Though my final question is, how do I increase the activation distance of the enemy?

Open up the monster of choice in the model editor. Then go to Settings > User defined variables. You'll find it there; you can't miss it. When saving, though, be sure to give the .ent file a different name (e.g. servant_grunt_longrange.ent), or else the game will choose the original. Then in the level editor, click on the monster and on the right click on "..." and open your modified monster. Also, i hope you followed step 8 on setting up a development environment.

RE: How to make an enemy spawn facing a certain way - Cryaotic - 12-15-2011

(12-15-2011, 10:07 AM)Your Computer Wrote:
(12-15-2011, 10:02 AM)Cryaotic Wrote: That sounds like exactly what I am aiming for! Though my final question is, how do I increase the activation distance of the enemy?

Open up the monster of choice in the model editor. Then go to Settings > User defined variables. You'll find it there; you can't miss it. When saving, though, be sure to give the .ent file a different name (e.g. servant_grunt_longrange.ent), or else the game will choose the original. Then in the level editor, click on the monster and on the right click on "..." and open your modified monster. Also, i hope you followed step 8 on setting up a development environment.

Russ Money and I just spent a good many hours trying to get it to work but for some reason it just won't work.

We really don't know why and we even did everything you've mentioned but it simply won't work.

It really is alright and I can make do with what I've got so far, but thank you for the assistance. :]