Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Lang Editor Tool (V1.1 - Spell Checker Added) - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods - Development (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-38.html)
+---- Forum: Development Resources (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-42.html)
+---- Thread: Lang Editor Tool (V1.1 - Spell Checker Added) (/thread-12213.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Lang Editor Tool (V1.1 - Spell Checker Added) - Apjjm - 12-31-2011

AMNESIA LANG EDITOR TOOL - V1.1

About:
I've always found myself prone to making syntax errors when writing the language file data for amnesia, but yet i found the existing Lang tool (HplLangTool) not quite what I was looking for either. It was also lacking a way of merging files together. So I've written up this new tool.

Features:
  1. Reads / Writes valid XML LANG files. Provides some error insight if there was a parsing failure.
  2. Allows appending lang files together. If there is an entry collision the old entry is kept, and a message output to the "info" box.
  3. Easy to use, for adding & removing categories & entries you shouldn't even need the mouse.
  4. Collapsible tree structure to make categories easy to navigate.
  5. Resources information parsed
  6. Move entries between categories by dragging and dropping.
  7. Script support. You can easily write scripts (C#) to generate language file content.
  8. (new) Spell Checker support added
Download
Latest Version (V1.1) [DropBox]

Requires .net framework 3.0 to run.

Old Versions:
Spoiler below!
Quick Usage Guide
Open up a language file using "Open". The Left hand side should list all the categories with a little "+" icon next to them (If a category has no entries then no + sign is listed). You can expand the categories by clicking this to show all the entries. Click an entry once to highlight it - the text associated with this entry should appear on the right. You can delete an entry by highlighting it and pressing the delete key.

Double click and entry or category to rename it. A list of other options are available by right clicking on on the left hand pane.

Full list of Keyboard Shortcuts:
Spoiler below!

Ctrl + O : Open
Ctrl + S : Save
Ctrl + N : New

Ctrl + W : Add Category (Main tab)
Ctrl + E : Add Entry (Main tab)
Ctrl + P : Add Path (Resources tab)
Shift + Delete: Delete entry (Whilst not in focus)

Cut, Copy & Paste supported too.

Known bugs:
None, currently.

Todo:
Spoiler below!

Look at how hard a language-change feature is to make (i.e. dictionaries for the spell checker in multiple langs).
Feel free to suggest some features.

Strike-through means fixed/Added for next version.

RE: New Language Editor Tool (Beta) (Testers Wanted) - palistov - 12-31-2011

Apjjm strikes again! Minds will be blown!
Already poking at it! Looks very neat and easy to use Smile

I'll add to this later but so far:

1) When using Save As, Append and Open, default directory is set to Documents folder. Perhaps have it default to the app's parent directory? I placed mine in the Amnesia root, but was sad-face panda when I saw it jumping to my Docs folder (which is miles away from Amnesia's directory. Relatively.)

Never mind, app remembers directory after you actually open/save/append something

2) If user chooses Open while an unsaved work is in progress, it erases said WIP. It's bad practice to not save your work, but of course this might cause some unfortunate folks to lose work.

3) Raw text used in the app is put directly into the lang file -- return characters aren't converted into [br]. Might want to make a note to folks to let them know to use [br] when they want a new line/paragraph.

RE: New Language Editor Tool (Beta) (Testers Wanted) - Apjjm - 12-31-2011

Good finds & ideas - will get onto those tomorrow.

RE: New Language Editor Tool (Beta) (Testers Wanted) - BlueFury - 12-31-2011

This looks rather interesting, maybe i'll use it once.

RE: New Language Editor Tool (Beta) (Testers Wanted) - Statyk - 12-31-2011

I'm so used to the traditional way of typing everything by hand... But this looks pretty interesting, I'll have to give it a try =]

Just fixed the tree view flicker problem - i am now very happy Big Grin. If anybody else uses C# and gets a flickering treeview i strongly recommend reading this.

Am now working on adding confirmation dialogues. Will have a new version out either in 4 hours (after that i'm out), or tomorrow.

Quote:I'm so used to the traditional way of typing everything by hand... But this looks pretty interesting, I'll have to give it a try =]
Same here. I wanted to make something very fast to use, just as fast as doing it by hand. Hopefully with some refinement i'll get this tool to that point.

Playing around with it now and wow, I must say, I don't know if I'll be going back to traditional. XD This will help big time with Sciophobia, as it will contain a lot of dialogue/subtitles.

Oh the work you put out Apjjm. =] Very easy to use!

RE: New Language Editor Tool (Beta) (Testers Wanted) - SilentStriker - 12-31-2011

I've also downloaded and tested it abit and I must say it's great! Helps me alot!

great work Apjjm Smile

Just fixed a bug where &amp tags were not written back properly (written back as '&' which won't parse). Fixed for &lt and &rt too, so i wouldn't advise overwriting any key files with the output until the new version is uploaded. If you do though, a quick search for "&" in notepad will let you fix any files.

As stupid as I sound right now, could you put that in layman's terms? I'm not quite the programmer at the moment >>