Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
[SCRIPT] Directional particle system - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods - Development (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-38.html)
+---- Forum: Development Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-39.html)
+---- Thread: [SCRIPT] Directional particle system (/thread-13856.html)

Directional particle system - Adrianis - 03-08-2012

I want a situation where, to give the impression of wind blowing down a corridor towards a player, I'm using ps_dust_push.ps, which blows dust in a certain direction

However, when I spawn this with the create particle system function, its default direction means its blowing in a -X direction, when I need it coming toward the player on the +Z.

Does anyone know of an easier way to do this than making a custom PS every time its needed in a specific direction?

RE: Directional particle system - Obliviator27 - 03-08-2012

No way to do this other than making a custom particle. It's not difficult to figure out how to change directions.

RE: Directional particle system - Adrianis - 03-08-2012

(03-08-2012, 09:34 PM)Obliviator27 Wrote: No way to do this other than making a custom particle. It's not difficult to figure out how to change directions.
Damn, Ok thanks for your help mate

RE: Directional particle system - Apfel - 03-09-2012

(03-08-2012, 09:17 PM)Adrianis Wrote: I want a situation where, to give the impression of wind blowing down a corridor towards a player, I'm using ps_dust_push.ps, which blows dust in a certain direction

However, when I spawn this with the create particle system function, its default direction means its blowing in a -X direction, when I need it coming toward the player on the +Z.

Does anyone know of an easier way to do this than making a custom PS every time its needed in a specific direction?

Well, I think you can just rotate the Area in which you want to create the particle system.

RE: Directional particle system - Strembitsky - 03-09-2012

No, you cannot do that.

RE: Directional particle system - palistov - 03-09-2012

(03-09-2012, 04:18 AM)Strembitsky Wrote: No, you cannot do that.

Yes actually you can rotate areas to change the orientation of spawned particles. I've done it multiple times, and not for just particles. Anything spawned at a script area (with the exception of monsters, I believe) will spawn in the same orientation as its parent area. You just need to test it out in-game a few times to make sure you've got the area facing the proper way.

RE: Directional particle system - Adrianis - 03-09-2012

(03-09-2012, 07:10 AM)palistov Wrote:

Yes actually you can rotate areas to change the orientation of spawned particles. I've done it multiple times, and not for just particles. Anything spawned at a script area (with the exception of monsters, I believe) will spawn in the same orientation as its parent area. You just need to test it out in-game a few times to make sure you've got the area facing the proper way.
Sweet, does that mean you use the create particle system at entity function, but replase the string asEntity with an area name?

RE: Directional particle system - MrBigzy - 03-09-2012

Not all particle systems can be rotated. In the particle editor, a particle system's "coord system" can be set to local or world. If set to world, it will be set in a specific direction and can't be rotated. You'll have to change it to local if the particle system isn't rotating in the editor.

RE: Directional particle system - Adrianis - 03-09-2012

(03-09-2012, 01:42 PM)Adrianis Wrote:
(03-09-2012, 07:10 AM)palistov Wrote:

Sweet, does that mean you use the create particle system at entity function, but replase the string asEntity with an area name?
To answer my own question, yes you do. Thanks for your help Palistov