Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
At the end of Penumbra: Oveture what is the thing that takes you away? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Penumbra: Overture, Black Plague & Requiem (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: At the end of Penumbra: Oveture what is the thing that takes you away? (/thread-17328.html)

Pages: 1 2

At the end of Penumbra: Oveture what is the thing that takes you away? - darkely - 07-29-2012

At the end of Penumbra: Oveture what is the thing that takes you away and why doesn't it just kill you?

RE: At the end of Penumbra: Oveture what is the thing that takes you away? - Adny - 07-29-2012

*Contains Spoilers*
If you've played any of Black Plague, even the first level, it should be apparent. The main enemy or "Tuurngait" takes you away and locks you in a cell. This type of behavior from the enemy is plausible because in the first level you find a audio recording of another prisoner talking about the enemies weakness, but Frictional Games decides to slap you in the face and the audio cuts off right before it's revealed.

Hope that helped.

RE: At the end of Penumbra: Oveture what is the thing that takes you away? - darkely - 07-29-2012

@andy well I've played all of the games but I did not remember... but it still does not make sense why they would keep you in a cell... what use would you be of to them?

RE: At the end of Penumbra: Oveture what is the thing that takes you away? - Adny - 07-29-2012

Either it's never truly explained or I just didn't pick up on it. The only thing I can think of aside from the generic "experimentation", would be that the enemy is aware that Howard is your father (who is one of the only people that can talk to the Tuurngait), but that wouldn't explain the other prisoner.

RE: At the end of Penumbra: Oveture what is the thing that takes you away? - gandalf91 - 07-29-2012

Tuurngait is a virus, (whether or not it is ultimately benevolent, malevolent, and to what extent). Viruses spread through replication. It cannot fulfill that which viruses do without a series of hosts. All the enemies in BP were once human, if it should have killed you, why shouldn't they have died as well?

RE: At the end of Penumbra: Oveture what is the thing that takes you away? - darkely - 07-29-2012

@andy *sigh* yet another bloody hole in the story :'(

@gandalf and/or andy speaking of the intentions of the Tuurngait are they good or bad (in your opinion)?

RE: At the end of Penumbra: Oveture what is the thing that takes you away? - Damascus Rose - 07-29-2012

(07-29-2012, 03:40 AM)darkely Wrote: @andy well I've played all of the games but I did not remember... but it still does not make sense why they would keep you in a cell... what use would you be of to them?
Probably because they knew he was infected, or wanted to infect him or something

^So basically Phillip and his father were special because they were the only known people who could communicate with them?

RE: At the end of Penumbra: Oveture what is the thing that takes you away? - Oscar House - 07-29-2012

Uhh, Philip got infected somewhere between Overture and Black Plague, as the symptoms of infection (déjà vu, aural distortion and what have you) don't start appearing until in Black Plague. I would say the Tuurngait captured you because they want to keep expanding the hive mind. When Philip escapes from his captivity, they turn hostile towards him.

RE: At the end of Penumbra: Oveture what is the thing that takes you away? - gandalf91 - 07-29-2012

(07-29-2012, 12:23 PM)Oscar House Wrote:
Quote: I would say the Tuurngait captured you because they want to keep expanding the hive mind. When Philip escapes from his captivity, they turn hostile towards him.

Exactly. I don't see any of this as a plot hole at all. It had to start somewhere (infecting, not killing people). As evidenced, most of the scientists working in Shelter were infected and became part of the hive mind, not killed. It probably killed those who seemed most of a resistive threat (could explain why they try to kill you after you escape).

As for its intentions, I see some good mingled with bad. (A lot in this world is gray, despite us wanting to see everything black and white. This also seems a huge theme in all of Frictional's games thus far.) Have you already played through Black Plague all the way yet..? Wouldn't want to spoil any of the details.