Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
How to make Enemies - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods - Development (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-38.html)
+---- Forum: Development Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-39.html)
+---- Thread: How to make Enemies (/thread-17604.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: How to make Enemies - EXAWOLT - 08-10-2012

fishnugget, if you wanna make your own monster, download any of these 3D programs and learn them by searching in the site forums(most sites does have these) , or find anyone in this forum to make them for yah

RE: How to make Enemies - Obliviator27 - 08-10-2012

What you're asking for is a huge request. Making these things isn't as easy as you may think. I've been playing with 3d modelling tools myself for probably 6-8 months now, and I still don't have the skills to create my own enemy. You need to have artistic ability, something that I certainly don't have. Creating both of what you need would take a long, long time and much dedication.
For the time being, I would recommend you stick with the default enemies. The most "editing" you could do to the Grunt or Brute would be a re-texture, and even that would take time.

RE: How to make Enemies - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - 08-10-2012

......okayyy. Now just out of curiosity let's see how long it would take me to make the Jason model in the quality I demand of myself when modeling. Big Grin
I'll assume that I have enough time to work 8 hours a day.

1. creating an anatomically correct naked human basemesh: ~2-3 days, depending on the level of detail desired. The mask makes it easier because face always takes the longest and he doesn't show any skin so I won't need to make photoprojections.

2. creating the clothes: His clothes are pretty simple pattern-wise (simple shirt, pants and jacket) but realistic folds are always a huge pain to do and his clothes have a lot of wrinkles. (I prefer doing folds by hand instead of simulating cloth to have more control). I say ... 3 days including the shoes and mask. (Mask is very easy, Shoes are pretty painful)

3. time for retopo/ lowpoly. 1 day until the geometry is nice and clean, 1/2 day for UV layout.

4. baking the normal map and ambient occlusion from high- to lowpoly. Very straightforward in theory but I've baked enough stuff to know that SOMETHING always goes wrong. Better give me a whole day for this, just to be safe.

5. Texturing. He's not super-fancy texture wise but still, all those dirt and blood stains might take a few tries until they look believable. 1 day. (including spec map and fine details for the normal map)

Let's see...that makes... 9 1/2 days for the mesh and material if I could work the whole time straight without any distractions or other stuff to do.

On to the rig. Having already written some useful MEL-scripts to make this process easier I think I could crunch the whole joint hierarchy and control rig into one day. Skinning takes 1/2 day.

Animations take about one day each, depending on how long/ complicated they are. Let's say we need a walk, idle and attack. idle is easy, attack is hard, walk is average, so 3 days.

sooo... that's at least 15 days of non-stop work I'd have to do for a complete stranger on the internet for a project I don't even know. Sorry but even if I had the time for it, it still wouldn't happen. Sad

RE: How to make Enemies - Statyk - 08-10-2012

I agree with Kman. Considering you don't seem to know how to use Google or understand the difference between the HPL2 tools and 3D modeling programs, I would just suggest using the original monsters until you decide to study up.

And no offense, these "monsters" don't exactly seem serious enough to be made. I can't imagine how your "story" is going to play if you include Jason and fucking MLP with a chainsaw.

Spoiler below!
[Image: picard-facepalm.jpg?1240934151]

RE: How to make Enemies - CorinthianMerchant - 08-10-2012

(08-09-2012, 08:16 AM)Fishnugget Wrote: [Image: 124487 - flutterrage fluttershy hey_hey_...ED.MOV.png]
[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/gvdf5n-zI14[/video]

RE: How to make Enemies - failedALIAS - 08-10-2012

Invite someone over to your house, and throw a rock at them.
Look at that! You made an enemy.

RE: How to make Enemies - Froge - 08-10-2012

Lol'ed at this whole thread.

RE: How to make Enemies - lolmaster - 08-10-2012

oboy, op must not feel like the sharpest knife in the drawer right about now

RE: How to make Enemies - failedALIAS - 08-10-2012

(08-10-2012, 07:03 PM)lolmaster Wrote: oboy, op must not feel like the sharpest knife in the drawer right about now
Really? Because it seems that every comment he(she) makes is a painful stab in my being.

RE: How to make Enemies - The chaser - 08-13-2012

Ok, here i go. I'm using blender, and i still have to know well how does it work. I tried to:
1: Import the brute
2: With edit mode, i got some edges of it's sword and i moved them, so it seems an axe, and I exported it as a .dae (with another name, of course)
Then, i went to Model editor and I tried to import the mesh. It crashed. I know that modeling is very hard, but for my CS i would like to have a bit different character.
I think that it is a texture problem, but i'm not sure.
I don't exactly know if i'm asking too much, but i want to do something for beggining. Perhaps i should begin with desks, or something, but i'm not really interested on furniture.