Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Lets Play - advice? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Lets Play - advice? (/thread-17839.html)

Pages: 1 2

Lets Play - advice? - darkely - 08-19-2012

I've been thinking of doing a lets play video of a few horror games. I ordered a decent mic. a few days ago and I am wanting for it to arrive.

Some questions for lets play video makers...

-What am I supposed to do?! I honestly don't scare that easily and when I do I don't really talk. Basically I am asking what do I say? do I just play and talk whenever? help...
-Does it matter if I do a lets play on an old game?

Technical questions about lets play videos...

-Recording software? I've been using bandicam which works well but any other ideas?
-Do you backup your videos or no?

RE: Lets Play - advice? - Froge - 08-19-2012

I love watching Let's Plays, especially on games I've never played or even heard of before. What makes me choose one youtuber over another is entirely dependent upon quality of commentary (other minor details such as visual or audio quality don't matter much....just make sure the video doesn't totally suck). Keep your voice generally interesting (so don't go monotone), react to things the way you'd expect the audience to react. Aside from RPGs (which are games for completionists imo) a blind Let's Play usually works better. When not "reacting" to anything talk about interesting stuff, like what you think will happen in the game, your ideas and opinions about the game, etc.

RE: Lets Play - advice? - Adny - 08-19-2012

Don't put on a fake persona, chat with inanimate objects (and when I say chat I mean make both sides of the conversation by yourself), or pretend to react to something or greatly over-exaggerate your reactions. If you want to commentate, make sure you really like doing it instead of just doing it for laughs like so many people do.

Imo, horror is the easiest of gaming genres to commentate on; you can get by on just reacting to the scares and saying very little, rather than having to come up with some witty banter to please your audience.

RE: Lets Play - advice? - Ghieri - 08-19-2012

I use FRAPS for recording, which gives you HD videos. They are large files, but I can usually compress them to less than 500 mb using Windows movie maker.

As for the dialogue, go crazy and have fun, while incorporating your personality. If you are timid, like I was when I first started(Because that was so long ago, haha.), then do a few practice videos. I like to listen to the recording of my voice without video. If it sounds entertaining, then I know I have something to work with.

RE: Lets Play - advice? - Traggey - 08-19-2012

Just be yourself, that's all I can say.

Oh, and use fraps, because fraps is the shit.

RE: Lets Play - advice? - JMFStorm - 08-19-2012

Only problem with FRAPS is that you can't control the volume of your mic :S

RE: Lets Play - advice? - darkely - 08-19-2012

(08-19-2012, 10:52 AM)Traggey Wrote: Just be yourself, that's all I can say.

Oh, and use fraps, because fraps is the shit.
lol thanks - I will try my best Smile

(08-19-2012, 10:55 AM)JMFStorm Wrote: Only problem with FRAPS is that you can't control the volume of your mic :S
That was an issue for me... I used my laptop and mic. to record audio (via audactiy) with a Xbox 360 headset. I ended up having to record game play only then use my mic. to comment and etc. Afterwards I had to edit the video and make sure the audio lined up properly.

I am going to try and get a new mic. that has better quality. I am still working out the kinks with my method because if I choose to do a horror game I don't want the reaction to be faked I want it to be genuine... so that will be a problem - any ideas? :p

I made my first Lets Play on a game that is not very popular (but a lot of fun)... suggestions?
Spoiler below!
[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/L9sJr9F2RxU[/video]

I am kind of worried about how am I supposed to compete with PewDiePie and other LPers.

RE: Lets Play - advice? - Traggey - 08-19-2012

You can record video using fraps and then record your mic seperately using Audacity and then simply match the audio up in your video editor of choise.

RE: Lets Play - advice? - darkely - 08-19-2012

^Thats what I did in my first LP I just did. One issue is that since my Xbox 360 headset only records I have to use my desktops speakers (they are loud) so I can hear the game. The headset catches my voice plus the audio (which I don't want it to). So once I get my new headset I can record and hear the game ^_^ which will solve my issue for the most part.

RE: Lets Play - advice? - Melvin - 08-19-2012

You should check out my lets plays for inspiration. If you want I could help you with them!