Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
[WIP] New Monster (Slime?) - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods - Development (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-38.html)
+--- Thread: [WIP] New Monster (Slime?) (/thread-18470.html)

Pages: 1 2

New Monster (Slime?) - Vyzor - 09-23-2012

I abandoned a monster I made long ago just to play around with animations and possible use it in a custom story but I just gave up cz lazy ass Tongue
Anyways I know I haven't given much to this community so I decided to make it public to those who would like to use it in their CS/Mod. I just need to adjust a few things in his settings and make custom sounds for him.
I think this model can maybe scare the shit out of someone if used properly, when I made this I wanted him to work in the following way:
Spoiler below!
In the first encounter the player would only be attacked if he gets close to it, I made a static of the Idle pose so it looks like the red meat from the "Shadow".
Idle
Notice Pose: The monster emerges his head groaning to the player (great to work as a scare I suppose?).
notice1
notice2
notice3
Attack Pose: He tries to devour the player with his wide mouth.
Atk1
Atk2
Atk3
Walking Pose
walk1
walk2

I honestly dont know where did I get the idea for this monster he looks like jabba XD[Image: 2564925.JabbaTheHutt.jpg]

I know it looks pretty weird but if used in a good atmosphere I think it'll work out.
Should I release soon as possible or just don't bother? Let me know guys Smile

Sorry for my english.

RE: New Monster (Slime?) - Mooserider - 09-24-2012

Nice! This looks great, I'd definitely keep the hell away from it Smile

RE: New Monster (Slime?) - Mine Turtle - 09-24-2012

this is quite the interesting idea for a mob; though id give some feedback on the model itself. the texture of the model looks really stretched in most of the animations; might wanna check that out before releasing the model. the stretching might also be caused by your weightpainting; so i might be wrong on the entire thing. all the same, it should be taken into concideration if youre planning on releasing this to the community. but overall, however, its a nice idea!

RE: New Monster (Slime?) - Vyzor - 09-24-2012

(09-24-2012, 09:27 AM)Mine Turtle Wrote: this is quite the interesting idea for a mob; though id give some feedback on the model itself. the texture of the model looks really stretched in most of the animations; might wanna check that out before releasing the model. the stretching might also be caused by your weightpainting; so i might be wrong on the entire thing. all the same, it should be taken into concideration if youre planning on releasing this to the community. but overall, however, its a nice idea!

When I made this model I was still learning and I gave up entirely on the CS I was working on Tongue
But yeah I'll try to improve a few things Smile thanks for the comments

RE: New Monster (Slime?) - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - 09-24-2012

Looks surprisingly scary for a slime. Big Grin If you're still interested in working a bit on it, I think you could try and see if it would look good if you changed the texture to look more similar to the shadow. Something red and veiny, like a freaky organ...dunno it could also backfire and make it look like an angry steak.
It also depends a bit on the setting it's used in I guess.

Would like to see it in motion Smile

RE: New Monster (Slime?) - crisosphinx - 09-24-2012

You know, I'm impressed by your concept of adding a slime to Amnesia; however, it doesn't feel like it would be part of the world. You have to remember that everything must coincide.

Sorry, but here is a little critique:
  • Something about it's walk looks extremely awkward and impossible (it should crawl if anything, I'd assume).
  • I think it should be re-textured (there is a ton of texture stretching, so some extra faces/ edgeloops are in order).
  • You should probably do alpha maps instead of hard modeling for the trails of the character.
  • Make the character more smooth (it's blocky head is odd for a slime... a slime is... well.. slimy! XD It's a ball of slime, not a blocky of slime ;] )
  • The weight-painting looks bad, from what I can tell. It looks like it's moving too much of one area (if it's joints are moving out too far, that might be the reason why).
  • Last, but not least, you have some very interesting mouth slime-stretching. Make sure to blend in the areas that are... well... visible. It looks like the slime-strands are on top of the mouth, not in it. ;]
I'd suggest fixing it, but you've done a lot of work thus far. Is it fully animated at the time being? O:

RE: New Monster (Slime?) - Robby - 09-24-2012

The model is impressive. But the "stretching" parts are quite noticeable. That kind of turns me down. If that would be fixed, things would be better.

RE: New Monster (Slime?) - Vyzor - 09-24-2012

I'll post a video of it's animations soon Smile And this monster was called Blob_monster so it rly isnt supposed to be a slime Tongue but kind of looks like one xD about the stretching u'll see during the animation what I was trying to achieve though I think I could do a better work on the texturing(I'll take into consideration what Hirnwirbel said).

RE: New Monster (Slime?) - Statyk - 09-24-2012

Has anyone ever seen the classic The Blob movie? That movie is quite disturbing. O_o... I actually like this model. The stretching mouth is a very nice touch. With some Edges and weight paint adjustments, this could be a really nice monster.

RE: New Monster (Slime?) - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - 09-25-2012

Y'know... if you scale it up a bit and stick a few eyes to it you could almost call it a shoggoth and give it to TheRockWorm as a christmas present ^^