Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
The (not BL but) Anime Thread - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: The (not BL but) Anime Thread (/thread-19522.html)

RE: The (not BL but) Anime Thread - Red - 11-14-2013

(11-13-2013, 04:13 AM)Abraxas Wrote:
(11-12-2013, 06:09 PM)Pyöveli Wrote:
(11-06-2013, 04:45 AM)Hyperfrog Wrote: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-12/3rd-madoka-magica-film-to-open-in-u.s-canada-on-december-6

!

Dayum, many of my friends have requested me to start watching the series,
but i just haven't got into it yet. Does it really live up to the hype?

To be honest, I honestly don't feel that it does. I mean, it's great that it takes the whole 'magical girl' genre in a darker direction, but to me there's something missing. The characters are written okay, but they're still pretty two dimensional, and their behaviors and reactions are rather predictable. I feel that the morbidity of it was the only thing keeping me watching, not the characters.
I also thought it was funny that they pretty much gave away the entire plot in the previews.
I've watched now like 6 episodes and my only complain maybe the lame music
sometimes, it doesn't bring emotions when it should. Still lived up to my expectations.
Good show. Best Magical Girl anime to date.

RE: The (not BL but) Anime Thread - VaeVictis - 11-14-2013

(11-14-2013, 02:55 PM)Pyöveli Wrote:
(11-13-2013, 04:13 AM)Abraxas Wrote:
(11-12-2013, 06:09 PM)Pyöveli Wrote:
(11-06-2013, 04:45 AM)Hyperfrog Wrote: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-12/3rd-madoka-magica-film-to-open-in-u.s-canada-on-december-6

!

Dayum, many of my friends have requested me to start watching the series,
but i just haven't got into it yet. Does it really live up to the hype?

To be honest, I honestly don't feel that it does. I mean, it's great that it takes the whole 'magical girl' genre in a darker direction, but to me there's something missing. The characters are written okay, but they're still pretty two dimensional, and their behaviors and reactions are rather predictable. I feel that the morbidity of it was the only thing keeping me watching, not the characters.
I also thought it was funny that they pretty much gave away the entire plot in the previews.
I've watched now like 6 episodes and my only complain maybe the lame music
sometimes, it doesn't bring emotions when it should. Still lived up to my expectations.
Good show. Best Magical Girl anime to date.

Yeah, and I liked it too, but the whole thing seemed rushed to me.
You'll have to finish the series first to see if you agree.
Lina Inverse (The Slayers) trumps all in terms of magical girls, for me at least.

Considering to watch "Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind" . Do you have any opinions on this?

RE: The (not BL but) Anime Thread - Draug - 11-14-2013

(11-14-2013, 06:49 PM)Pyöveli Wrote: Considering to watch "Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind" . Do you have any opinions on this?

Not the best from Ghibli. A little bit boring.

Totoro
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Porco Rosso
Ponyo

were all better imo.

(11-14-2013, 08:13 PM)droog Wrote:
(11-14-2013, 06:49 PM)Pyöveli Wrote: Considering to watch "Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind" . Do you have any opinions on this?

Totoro
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Porco Rosso
Ponyo

were all better imo.
I've watched all of those expect Ponyo. Never even heard from it. Would you recommend?

RE: The (not BL but) Anime Thread - Acies - 11-14-2013

(11-14-2013, 10:12 PM)Pyöveli Wrote:
(11-14-2013, 08:13 PM)droog Wrote:

Totoro

Spirited Away

Howl's Moving Castle

Porco Rosso

Ponyo

were all better imo.

I've watched all of those expect Ponyo. Never even heard from it. Would you recommend?
Seems like disney's mermaid story. Haven't seen it though. I liked Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind - even if it might be considered slow/boring Smile

RE: The (not BL but) Anime Thread - Draug - 11-15-2013

(11-14-2013, 10:12 PM)Pyöveli Wrote: I've watched all of those expect Ponyo. Never even heard from it. Would you recommend?

It's a little bit more "childish" than the other ghibli movies, but very cute and made with love. Smile Definitely recommendable.

I forgot to mention "Arrietty"- also a very great movie from studio ghibli.

RE: The (not BL but) Anime Thread - VaeVictis - 11-16-2013

Battle Angel Alita.

Watch it.

RE: The (not BL but) Anime Thread - Mechavomit - 11-16-2013

A letter to Momo
Whisper of the heart
Children who chase lost voices
Wolf children Ame and Yuki

Can you guys recommend something like the ones I mentioned please? Something with a slice-of-life feel to it, but with a bit of fairy tale too. Very vague, I know, I suck at explaining.

RE: The (not BL but) Anime Thread - Red - 11-17-2013

(11-16-2013, 04:48 PM)Mechavomit Wrote: A letter to Momo
Whisper of the heart
Children who chase lost voices
Wolf children Ame and Yuki

Can you guys recommend something like the ones I mentioned please? Something with a slice-of-life feel to it, but with a bit of fairy tale too. Very vague, I know, I suck at explaining.

Beelzebub? Good series imo , i don't what do you mean by "fairy tale" aspect, fantasy? This show has slice of life and supernatural setting, but the main reason i watched it was the excellent comedy! The serie is about 60 ep long.

Shakugan no shana trilogy, romcom, slice of life, fantasy anime and a good one.
Each season is 24 ep long.

Mushishi google that, it's good.

(11-16-2013, 02:42 PM)Abraxas Wrote: Battle Angel Alita.

Watch it.

Definitely, if i have time.