Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
The (not BL but) Anime Thread - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: The (not BL but) Anime Thread (/thread-19522.html)

RE: The (not BL but) Anime Thread - Macgyverthehero - 08-24-2014

I don't get how anime is a popular thing among american audiences. I look it at and it's a unique art style, but to me it just feels like nonsense, especially with dialogue.

RE: The (not BL but) Anime Thread - CorinthianMerchant - 08-24-2014

And how many series have you watched?

RE: The (not BL but) Anime Thread - Macgyverthehero - 08-24-2014

I honestly have not watched a lot of anime shows, I've seen people at my school watch anime in their spare times and I even have a friend or two who are into it. However, I have played games developed by Japanese creators, like two Metal Gear Solid games, and Resident Evil 5 & 6, and the dialogue most of the time in those can get quite ridiculous. Even some cutscenes in those games don't make sense.

Can you give any examples?

RE: The (not BL but) Anime Thread - Nice - 08-24-2014

im still trying to "get" into the anime but i have a hard time getting along with it aswell, or see what the specialty about it is. I've watched a bunch of episodes of Welcome to NHK and while it did have some hilarious moments, it wasnt enough to keep me hooked

Watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes (available on YT), Serial Experiments Lain and The Tatami Galaxy.

RE: The (not BL but) Anime Thread - Red - 08-24-2014

The dialogue of Metal Gear Solid is because of the dub. That might be the reason for some absurdity. Translating, lip syncing, all those take something old and original away and add something new, Hideo Kojima didn't write.

And Dogfood, look for something else. Welcome to nhk might not be the best to start. I found it boring in my opinion. There's a vast pile to choose from. I would say start watching Steins;Gate now.
It's only 24 episodes long, and might be boring at the start. But the drama is like in Breaking Bad when the shit starts. Brilliant sci-fi anime to many degree. After you have finished watching about 100 animes more, start monogatari series, it has something you can't find from any tv series or movie. The story telling is unique, setting is unique but the most unique thing are the characters. The whole anime is brilliant. Best way to transform a novella to tv-adaption.
If you ever come to liking in romantic stuff, watch Clannad series. I won't spoil, but I'll say: if the drama is what you seek, go and watch, your eyes will leak.
Best website to watch is KissAnime. Works the best for both mobile and desktop.

Anime can get you hooked, I am prime example as I've watched total 400+ animes and assuring I don't over exaggerate. It's one way to spend your freetime from exhausting everyday.

RE: The (not BL but) Anime Thread - Potato - 08-24-2014

(08-24-2014, 06:14 PM)Macgyverthehero Wrote: I don't get how anime is a popular thing among american audiences. I look it at and it's a unique art style, but to me it just feels like nonsense, especially with dialogue.
If you're looking for something a bit more deep or interesting dialogue-wise, like Röd mentioned, I'd recommend the Monogatari series or anything else by animation studio Shaft. It has a really unique art style and some interesting themes. As for viewing order, I'd just recommend how they chronologically came out, which is Bakemonogatari > Nisemonogatari > Nekomonogatari > Monogatari Series Second Season > Hamamonogatari.

Also Kaiki is the absolute best. meat meat meat

RE: The (not BL but) Anime Thread - CorinthianMerchant - 08-30-2014

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/ztFhd8n70jQ[/video]

RE: The (not BL but) Anime Thread - Froge - 08-31-2014

crnthn pls