Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
HOW TO INSTALL CONVERSIONS, HOW TO RUN THEM AND TROUBLESHOOTING - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-35.html)
+---- Forum: Technical Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-37.html)
+---- Thread: HOW TO INSTALL CONVERSIONS, HOW TO RUN THEM AND TROUBLESHOOTING (/thread-20271.html)

HOW TO INSTALL CONVERSIONS, HOW TO RUN THEM AND TROUBLESHOOTING - The chaser - 02-10-2013

HOW TO INSTALL CONVERSIONS, HOW TO RUN THEM AND TROUBLESHOOTING

How to install them:

Open the .zip the conversion comes in: There are 2 types of full conversion:

-Isolated full conversion

This one is plain simple: Drag the single folder to your redist (Amnesia/redist), open the conversion folder and click the .bat. Simple as that.

-Full Conversion (F**k you, why are you so complicated for some people)

Open the .zip. You should see lots of things like:

Billboards
config
entities

Well then: Drag EVERYTHING to the redist. Full conversions are designed to not overwrite the main files, so if a file is overwritten, you did it wrong. Sorry to tell you that.
Then, run the .bat. Everything should go fine.

TROUBLESHOOTING

I have found out how to solve the problem of:

EXCEPTION_ACCES_VIOLATION in module Amnesia.exe at 0023:004A67A8"

THIS ASSUMES YOU'VE HAVE INSTALLED IT CORRECTLY

I've observed that this is a quite common problem around Full conversions, and I'm opening this thread in order to help people who has the same problem:

The numbers of the error aren't really important, what is important is the .log:

Let's use Tenebris Lake as an example. My log
(placed in Documents/Amnesia/tenebrislake/hpl.log) said this: (at the final)

Directories (they are different in each operating system)

Windows XP: "My Documents\Amnesia\"
Windows Vista & 7: "Documents\Amnesia\"
Linux: ".frictionalgames/Amnesia/"
Mac: "Library/Application Support/Frictional Games/Amnesia/"

Code:
User Initialization
--------------------------------------------------------
ERROR: Couldn't load language file 'tenebrislake_config/tenebrislake_lang/spanish.lang'
ERROR: Couldn't load language file 'tenebrislake_config/base_spanish.lang'
ERROR: Couldn't load language file 'tenebrislake_config/tenebrislake_config/base_english.lang'
ERROR: Couldn't create font 'menu_gui_default.fnt'
WARNING: Could not find language file entry 'Continue'

Now, what you have to do is to:

Go to the same place:

Documents/Amnesia/tenebrislake/

There, there will be a .cfg file named main_settings.cfg.

It looked like this (for me)

Code:
<Main ShowMenu="true" ExitMenuDirectly="false" SaveConfig="true" DefaultProfileName="dev_user" StartLanguage="spanish.lang" UpdateLogActive="false" LoadDebugMenu="false" ScreenShotExt="jpg" ForceCacheLoadingAndSkipSaving="true" ShowPreMenu="true" />
<Graphics TextureQuality="1" TextureFilter="2" TextureAnisotropy="16.000000" Gamma="1.500000" Shadows="1" SSAOActive="true" SSAOSamples="16" ShadowQuality="2" ShadowResolution="2" SSAOResolution="0" ParallaxEnabled="true" WorldReflection="true" EdgeSmooth="true" GBufferType="0" NumOfGBufferTextures="3" OcclusionTestLights="true" Refraction="true" ShadowsActive="true" ParallaxQuality="0" ForceShaderModel3And4Off="false" PostEffectBloom="true" PostEffectImageTrail="true" PostEffectSepia="true" PostEffectRadialBlur="true" PostEffectInsanity="true" />
<Engine LimitFPS="true" SleepWhenOutOfFocus="true" />
<Screen Width="1024" Height="768" FullScreen="true" Vsync="false" />
<Physics PhysicsAccuracy="2" UpdatesPerSec="60.000000" />
<Sound Device="0" Volume="1.000000" MaxChannels="32" StreamBuffers="4" StreamBufferSize="262144" />
<MapLoad FastPhysicsLoad="false" FastStaticLoad="false" FastEntityLoad="false" />

What you have to do is to change the StartLanguage, so it looks like this:

Code:
<Main ShowMenu="true" ExitMenuDirectly="false" SaveConfig="true" DefaultProfileName="dev_user" StartLanguage="english.lang" UpdateLogActive="false" LoadDebugMenu="false" ScreenShotExt="jpg" ForceCacheLoadingAndSkipSaving="true" ShowPreMenu="true" />
<Graphics TextureQuality="1" TextureFilter="2" TextureAnisotropy="16.000000" Gamma="1.500000" Shadows="1" SSAOActive="true" SSAOSamples="16" ShadowQuality="2" ShadowResolution="2" SSAOResolution="0" ParallaxEnabled="true" WorldReflection="true" EdgeSmooth="true" GBufferType="0" NumOfGBufferTextures="3" OcclusionTestLights="true" Refraction="true" ShadowsActive="true" ParallaxQuality="0" ForceShaderModel3And4Off="false" PostEffectBloom="true" PostEffectImageTrail="true" PostEffectSepia="true" PostEffectRadialBlur="true" PostEffectInsanity="true" />
<Engine LimitFPS="true" SleepWhenOutOfFocus="true" />
<Screen Width="1024" Height="768" FullScreen="true" Vsync="false" />
<Physics PhysicsAccuracy="2" UpdatesPerSec="60.000000" />
<Sound Device="0" Volume="1.000000" MaxChannels="32" StreamBuffers="4" StreamBufferSize="262144" />
<MapLoad FastPhysicsLoad="false" FastStaticLoad="false" FastEntityLoad="false" />

The problem should be fixed now. Have a good time playing Full Conversions! 0/ Smile

RE: How to solve a common problem in Full Conversions - plutomaniac - 02-11-2013

For now it is very small to make it a sticky thread. I suggest we wait until lots more stuff are added. Usually though the log provides the error information helpfully.

RE: How to solve a common problem in Full Conversions - The chaser - 02-11-2013

Humm... how about making this thread the "Troubleshooter" of full conversions. I'll dig this sub-forum and add things to the list Smile

For the sake of the forum Smile

RE: How to solve a common problem in Full Conversions - plutomaniac - 02-11-2013

Yes, we'll see how it will turn out. The important things when it comes to stickys are:

1) Make it idiotic simple to follow
2) Have everything in one thread

The main goal is to have very few stickys that actually help and not just take space at the top of a subforum.

S**t, I've taken a look and there's NOTHING. A lot of them are just badly installed conversions, or the error that I just pointed out.

Well, then this is going to be a "HOW TO INSTALL CONVERSIONS, HOW TO RUN THEM AND TROUBLESHOOTING"

I would like to know what's the path in Linux and Mac, the equivalent of Documents/Amnesia/ so linux and mac users had it easier.

1) There are full conversions that do overwrite files, especially the lantern with the flashlight. Although it is not recommended that's how it was done pretty much before White Night.
2) You can find the linux, mac locations at the troubleshooting guide, problem X.

I will talk with the other guys about this topic and make a decision...

Okay, different directories updated.

Didn't know that there were conversions that overwrited files... which are we talking about?

Some older ones, there are many actually from 2010-2011 for sure. Basically if someone does not devote some time to edit resources.cfg, create folders etc... he will end up overwriting game files. I started playing these from around December 2010 so yes I've seen many.