Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Slender: The Arrival Beta - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Slender: The Arrival Beta (/thread-20424.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Slender: The Arrival Beta - bluel0bster - 02-21-2013

Pre-ordered Slender: The Arrival and just got through playing the beta. Gotta say, it's scary as hell, definitely a step up from the original.

Anybody else tried this yet?

RE: Slender: The Arrival Beta - No Author - 02-21-2013

Nope.avi

RE: Slender: The Arrival Beta - rtjhbfvsrry - 02-21-2013

It looks really good - spectacular graphics for a Unity game. It's essentially the same game though, except the map is randomized so you'll more often get lost and won't be able to memorize where to go.

I quite liked the original, it frightened me quite a bit (and kicked off sleepless nights as I immersed myself in Slenderman Media) but at this point the mechanics are a bit too familiar and the many, many terrible ripoff games have really devalued it. It gave me a few jumpscares but that's it. Sad

Still, the beta is only a remake of the original and the full game will be an entirely new experience, so looking forward to it. Hope Parsec makes use of the mechanics he created for "Where Am I?" before Slender. That game was wonderfully subtle in being unsettling.

RE: Slender: The Arrival Beta - PutraenusAlivius - 02-21-2013

Crazy combination:
Play Slender, Slender: The Arrival, Penumbra: Overture, Penumbra: Black Plague, and finally Amnesia one after the other. YOU CANNOT SLEEP FOR 2 MONTHS!

RE: Slender: The Arrival Beta - Brosive - 02-21-2013

(02-21-2013, 03:04 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Crazy combination:
Play Slender, Slender: The Arrival, Penumbra: Overture, Penumbra: Black Plague, and finally Amnesia one after the other. YOU CANNOT SLEEP FOR 2 MONTHS!

Why would you put Slender on that list, it isn't even scary. (IMO)

RE: Slender: The Arrival Beta - Nyarlathotep - 02-21-2013

Was never on the hype train for the original. It was a neat game but never found it to be amazing. Cheap deaths annoyed me.

Pre-ordered the full game on an impulse, though, only 5 dollars? The graphics are surprisingly good. I'm enjoying the beta a lot more than the original. Huge improvement, scarier and feels less cheap with the slender placement at times.

The full game is not going to just be a collection fest, either. An interview they've had discussing the flow of the game sounds very promising. I just hope they tone down the difficulty a bit more, at least as an option. The beta is very tense, and for me it's been up in the air whether or not I'd actually be able to finish the search. I'd hate for that kind of outcome in a full campaign structure, at least without a decent save point.

RE: Slender: The Arrival Beta - Exostalker - 02-21-2013

Remove all the slenders from this list and THEN you won't sleep for 2 months.

RE: Slender: The Arrival Beta - rtjhbfvsrry - 02-21-2013

Hah, looks like I'm the only one here who was utterly terrified by the original. It's no Amnesia but it came pretty close to giving me a heart attack for at least the first three or four times. For what is billed as a short experimental game I think it did it's job quite well and I'm looking forward to the full game.

The developers (Parsec and the studio he collaborated with) stated in an interview that Amnesia was one of their big inspirations for the direction it went. Also the story is written by the Marble Hornets people, so I'm sure it'll be weird as hell.

RE: Slender: The Arrival Beta - Brosive - 02-21-2013

(02-21-2013, 04:55 PM)Exostalker Wrote:

Remove all the slenders from this list and THEN you won't sleep for 2 months.

I would still be able to sleep, but thats just me.

RE: Slender: The Arrival Beta - NaxEla - 02-21-2013

In my opinion, Slender: The Arrival wasn't nearly as scary as the first slender. I was terrified by the first slender. Maybe I'm just used to the mechanics of the game, not sure.