Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! (/thread-20831.html)

RE: why not a multiplayer mod??? :D - Gunslingerjh - 09-05-2009

It would be great if it was the kind of multiplayer like Left 4 Dead.
But, if you want multiplayer, you need levels. Cause penumbra is almost one big map!

Game Modes - Lawliet - 05-06-2010

Hi,

I just pre-ordered the game based on the nice discount and the promise of activation via Steam. This was all done in good faith to support an indie developer. But however, I still know next to nothing about this game other than the fact that it is horror-themed FPS.

So, I have the most important question to ask:
- What are the game modes? Single player? Co-op? Multiplayer?

If it is multiplayer or co-op, I can coerce persuade my gaming buddy to pre-order the game as well.

Hope to hear from you soon!

RE: Game Modes - Cheesezorz - 05-06-2010

I am sure this game will be Singleplayer only. As much as I love Co-op, it would probably not work in this game so well.

Also, pointing out, this game cannot really be called a First Person Shooter, since it mainly focuses on stealth and puzzles. I'm quite sure you will not get your hands on any weapons in Amnesia.

RE: Game Modes - eliasfrost - 05-06-2010

Horror themed first person sneaker Wink

RE: Game Modes - Thomas - 05-06-2010

Single player only!

We are focusing on making the intended experience as good as possible, and trying to add some kind of multiplay would only detract us from doing so.

RE: Game Modes - Lawliet - 05-06-2010

Thanks for the prompt reply. A little disappointing but I will look forward to this game when it's released!

RE: Game Modes - Kaese - 05-06-2010

While I can't see multiplayer in the game itself at all, having it supported in the engine would be pretty awesome.
People could do all kinds of crazy physic coop challenges or totally different games from what I have seen from the scripting.
We already have Gmod, but hey, you can never have enough physics multiplayer games to just screw around.

RE: Game Modes - Yuhaney - 05-06-2010

(05-06-2010, 07:31 AM)nackidno Wrote: Horror themed first person sneaker Wink

Exactly! It doesn't include any shooting.

Tech Ideas - Som1Lse - 12-08-2010

WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS IN THE ENTIRE POST AND CAPS IN THE FIRST SENTENCE!

We've all seen those tech feature blog updates from Frictional Games.
Some of them are really great especially if you want to make a Custom Story.

I have also got a few ideas.
Please note that not all of these ideas are meant to be for any upcoming game and some of them are merely just speculations on new kinds of gameplay.
Do not flame me for any of those reasons. since I do know, that some of them are not something that will be added recently and that some of them may seem completely impossible.

1. Dynamic decals:
    Everyone who uses the editors knows what a decal is. Or well, at least most.
    There is a spilled wine decal, and we have probably all seen it.
    If you haven't then check out Daniel's room (also known as guest room) and check the left room (the one that isn't locked) there are some broken bottles near the chimney (or whatever it is called) and bellow them is a spilled wine decal.

Now that's pretty realistic, but one thing that is weird however, is that when you pick up a bottle and throw it the bottle breaks but there is no spilled wine or anything.

My idea here is that it would be cool if you could assign a decal to an entity and then when it breaks it generates that decal.

We also know that when you try to place a decal on a non-static entity (like a chair) and then move it, the decal flies in the air.
    If you could set a decal to dynamicly update, so it wouldn't fly but rather stick to the object, then it would be cool
  2. Massive Endings:
    Some of you might have tried out Heavy Rain.
    It has 18 different ending sequences that can be combined in numerous ways.
    And every sequence changes a bit depending on how you played the game as well.
    Frictional also seems to like multiple endings, but their multiple endings so far as all been like you get a final choice in the end of the game.
    In heavy rain all the decisions are not just in the final level but rather in the later levels in the game.
    In Amnesia there is one ending (Agrippa ending (also known as good ending)) that requires you to complete a short puzzle before hand, but it is rather simple and is only done on the levels right before the end. (no complaint, it is still well made)
    I think it would be cool if there were more possibilities in endings in possible future games as well as possible future custom stories.
  3. Horror Multiplayer
    Admit it. You have all played other games in multiplayer mode, but it isn't really scary since you always have a chat build into the game as well as a headset so you can talk with your team mates.

Well what if there were no chat and the only communications you had were talking and shouting, and what if the sound volume decreases he farther you were from each other.

Imagine playing the Choir with 5 of your friends.
    You could choose to go to each room together one at a time or split up into three groups and take them all at once.
    Also imagine that you lose the rest of your group and have to find your way back.

Of course the Amnesia storyline doesn't really allow this kind of gameplay but it would be cool, wouldn't it.
I will add more if I get any other ideas.

RE: Tech Ideas - Frontcannon - 12-08-2010

CoOp has already been discussed, look in the large Thoughts on Piracy-thread, I've made a post there too:

Quote:Multiplayer, especially CoOp, needs coordination. Coordination needs communication, and communication kills atmosphere.

To make a MP-game truly scary, the communication would have to be fitted perfectly into the game environment, which means not using VoIP for talking to your friend, but using the game. The voices would have to match the ingame avatars / characters, which means they have a position in the game world, are affected by echoes and distance to the player.
It's still a pretty rough idea, but imagine listening to your friends voice as if he'd be an ingame NPC.. I think it could avoid the usual problems and actually preserve the game's original atmosphere.