Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! (/thread-20831.html)

Suggestion for multiplayer - SoldBeer - 01-17-2011

Hello there FrictionalGames!!!
I have a huge idea/suggestion for such a huge game.Idea
I suggest that in the next game there should be a multiplayer.
Like hide and seek: somebody is Daniel and sombody is the hunter.
The "Daniels" (or the hiders), are supposed to survive as much time as they can from the hunters. They can hide, run, do anything you did in the singleplayer but to survive.

I really hope that my idea will be used in the game.
Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

RE: Suggestion for multiplayer - Tanshaydar - 01-17-2011

Yep, everyone with exactly one post has a huge/great/wonderful/fascinating idea.

You're playing too much Left 4 Dead, and just fyi, L4D is not a horror game; and I really hope devs from Frictional Games doesn't give a sh*t about these posts.

RE: Suggestion for multiplayer - mattwestwick - 01-17-2011

In other words,

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Really they should implement this wonderful idea and give the inventor at least %50 of all profits from the game.

RE: Suggestion for multiplayer - SoldBeer - 01-18-2011

(01-17-2011, 12:21 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Yep, everyone with exactly one post has a huge/great/wonderful/fascinating idea.

You're playing too much Left 4 Dead, and just fyi, L4D is not a horror game; and I really hope devs from Frictional Games doesn't give a sh*t about these posts.
you should probably read what i wrote before you start trolling-
i didnt said it will be like l4d i didnt said that the hiders have guns and sh*t so please my friend, read.

RE: Suggestion for multiplayer - Tottel - 01-18-2011

Multiplayer would ruin the whole immersion for me. When you're alone, you do things slow and at your pace.
When you play with more people, even if only 1 extra, you get a completely different gaming experience.

To me, no multiplayer.

RE: Suggestion for multiplayer - Deu sex - 01-18-2011

(01-18-2011, 09:39 AM)Tottel Wrote: Multiplayer would ruin the whole immersion for me. When you're alone, you do things slow and at your pace.
When you play with more people, even if only 1 extra, you get a completely different gaming experience.

To me, no multiplayer.

same here

RE: Suggestion for multiplayer - hollowleviathan - 01-18-2011

Hiding in static and generally poor hiding spots doesn't work well against other players, who are cogent smart and have good eyesight, very unlike the Grunts and Brutes.

RE: Suggestion for multiplayer - Zoridium JackL - 01-19-2011

(01-18-2011, 08:57 AM)SoldBeer Wrote:
(01-17-2011, 12:21 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Yep, everyone with exactly one post has a huge/great/wonderful/fascinating idea.

you should probably read what i wrote before you start trolling-
i didnt said it will be like l4d i didnt said that the hiders have guns and sh*t so please my friend, read.

he wasn't trolling, he was merely stating that this a very l4d approach, for example, it would be impossible to balance, because if you make the grunts faster than the player, then the player is literally helpless, and if you make them slower, why would the player bother to hide, and really, it wouldn't be much fun tbh, also, there is no objective or immersion, the whole point of these games it to get you to immerse yourself, there's no immersion if you are playing the "hunter", you can't immerse yourself in that kind of a role at a whim, and then you have no objective, i challenge you to name one part of amnesia or penumbra when you haven't had at least one objective to achieve. while this idea seems good at first it isn't, if this game were more like L4D then it would be a great idea, but it isn't L4D therfore it doesn't work. and it would have to be 1v1, which really doesn't bode well in most games, in terms of multiplayer, a co-op direction would be far more effective.

RE: Suggestion for multiplayer - Bek - 01-19-2011

Not to mention that adding any form of multi would be an incredible amount of work for a very risky and so far unpopular idea.

RE: Suggestion for multiplayer - GraphicsKid - 01-22-2011

Part of making a horror game is one that will be played ALONE! That way you have nobody to lean on for emotional support. This is the main reason why I'm pretty irritated at Dead Space 2... they put in multiplayer... okay well that's not very bad at al- IN THE SINGLEPLAYER STORY! WTF? Well that IS bad. Nothing ruins the immersion more than hearing your obnoxious friends saying "that's what she said" every time somebody says "wow that's huge!".

Please frictional, don't heed to these silly demands. Multiplayer would destroy the immersion and tension of the game. Unless of course both players were focused on the game rather than having fun with each other... but that kind of defeats the purpose of playing a video game TOGETHER! I remember playing halo 1 split screen with 4 players. It was great fun because when you got killed, you'd reach across the room and punch the guy who killed you, and laugh it off, and attempt to get revenge. This light-hearted mood has no place in a serious horror game.

Sorry, not to sound like a kill joy, but yea multiplayer is a great idea for every game except this one.