Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! (/thread-20831.html)

RE: Question - Spooder Wekd - 07-23-2011

In case anyone was wondering how i would do it, if I were to do it, which I will not, at least not anytime soon.
I would use code similar to that of cheat engine to get the x,y,z and rotational values of the player.
I would then create a standalone application to send and receive the data over the magical interwebs.
After that some more cheat engine esque code would be used to push the values of the other player into the game.
The only hiccup would be how to show the other player, which I would likely do by modding all the levels and adding an extra object to it, which would receive all the necessarily data, and move/rotate itself accordingly. However there are no animations, so the player would likely just be represented by some sort of wooden box or other random object, or maybe even a static character model...
This same concept could be used to synchronize enemy positions, and items.

Problem is that it would be insanely difficult to do, and it would likely be very slow.
Also, the enemies would only target one player, and since the AI would technically be running on both clients, the AI would try to rip itself in half, could be solved by allowing each player to have the enemy on their client target them, but then in order to show both local enemies and the other player's enemies, I would have to mod all the campaigns to double the enemies, one for attacking and one for receiving the data from the other player's game.

Gosh, I have to stop thinking about this...too tempting...

RE: Question - Tanshaydar - 07-24-2011

Am I the only person who is completely sure any multiplayer related project or idea is stillborn.

RE: Question - Apjjm - 07-24-2011

(07-24-2011, 04:11 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Am I the only person who is completely sure any multiplayer related project or idea is stillborn.
Nope, you are not the only one. I am sure many think this is something that would not be that fun anyway, what with ruining the atmosphere and all, even if the stars aligned and out of the heavens dropped a multi-player client.

RE: Question - Spooder Wekd - 07-24-2011

(07-24-2011, 04:22 AM)Apjjm Wrote:
(07-24-2011, 04:11 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Am I the only person who is completely sure any multiplayer related project or idea is stillborn.
Nope, you are not the only one. I am sure many think this is something that would not be that fun anyway, what with ruining the atmosphere and all, even if the stars aligned and out of the heavens dropped a multi-player client.

It would definitely be fun, once you've beaten the game a few times, to experience it again with a friend, for the hell of it.
But it will never happen, the amount of time and effort someone would need to apply, and still a high probability of it being slow(framerate wise) and unentertaining...it's just not probable...

Two ideas to improve gamplay (and bring more scares!) - N4ch007 - 08-10-2011

I saw some ideas about the use of microphones, but they didn't mention this. Sorry if they wrote it somewhere else and I missed it :/

---

Hi guys.
I've been watching some videos of people this game (which I'll get next month) and the following came to my mind.

What if the game could detect that you have a microphone and make good use of it?
I think of two things to do with it:
- To keep your sanity, you should have to speak a few words to yourself every now and then, but...
- DON'T SCREAM! the in-game monsters WILL hear you...
- It could also help in the case that you play some kind of multiplayer game where other players are also around the castle, and you can speak loud to see if they are close (always respecting the effects that walls have on sound). If you find someone, you will have to scream directions of where you are. If you manage to meet, you can share information whispering, but you also have the risk of letting more monsters find you...

I hope you guys like this and feel that it can be incorporated. I think this can make for a nice gameplay element.

RE: Two ideas to improve gamplay (and bring more scares!) - Kman - 08-10-2011

But wait... don't insane people talk to themselves? Haha whatever, I like the idea of communicating with others if they had multiplayer though. I kind of doubt the new game will even have multiplayer though considering it's frictional that's making it.

RE: Two ideas to improve gamplay (and bring more scares!) - dph314 - 08-10-2011

I think any game where monsters/opponents could here you would be awesome.

RE: Two ideas to improve gamplay (and bring more scares!) - N4ch007 - 08-10-2011

(08-10-2011, 12:44 AM)kman Wrote: But wait... don't insane people talk to themselves? Haha whatever, I like the idea of communicating with others if they had multiplayer though. I kind of doubt the new game will even have multiplayer though considering it's frictional that's making it.

They do, but on the other hand, keeping the brain concentrated and exercising the language may help on some situations. Think of Tom Hanks on Cast Away.

RE: Two ideas to improve gamplay (and bring more scares!) - Bek - 08-10-2011

This gets brought up a lot actually.

RE: Two ideas to improve gamplay (and bring more scares!) - Kman - 08-10-2011

(08-10-2011, 02:15 AM)N4ch007 Wrote:
(08-10-2011, 12:44 AM)kman Wrote: But wait... don't insane people talk to themselves? Haha whatever, I like the idea of communicating with others if they had multiplayer though. I kind of doubt the new game will even have multiplayer though considering it's frictional that's making it.

They do, but on the other hand, keeping the brain concentrated and exercising the language may help on some situations. Think of Tom Hanks on Cast Away.

to be honest i haven't seen Cast Away... and the worst part is i want to grow up to be a movie director *prepares for slap in the face*