Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! (/thread-20831.html)

RE: My Next Custom Story - DamnNoHtml - 09-13-2011

You're not really showcasing anything so it doesn't really belong in the showcase.

RE: My Next Custom Story - ZyLogicX - 09-13-2011

So you both arein your own map, and lets say room B has the solution to progress further into Room A and instead.? And by communicating with your friend you will progress further?

RE: My Next Custom Story - DRedshot - 09-13-2011

Yes ZyLogicX, that is how I'm planning on doing it.
Also, DamnNoHtml, - I wanted it in showcase because people in CS&M tend to be browsing for help, whereas people browsing "Showcase" tend to be looking for custom stories to play.

This thread won't really get many responses here, because the people who will be playing the custom story are usually in the other sub-forum (showcase) So if it got moved it would get responses from people who will be playing it. For example, The only three responses i've got from this thread are from people making custom stories themselves. Big Grin

RE: My Next Custom Story - Elven - 09-13-2011

Always finish old then go the next project - my suggestion Smile. But else Co-op sounds amazing idea Tongue

RE: My Next Custom Story - NylePudding - 09-13-2011

(09-11-2011, 11:41 AM)DRedshot Wrote: I am about halfway through my current custom story, but i'd like a bit of a break from it's story. This doesn't mean the project's dead, I just want a break, like everyone doing the Teamnesia preject.

So I have a few suggestions, and I'll let you choose which one I should do! Obviously my favourite choice will influence the final decision slightly, but if one choice dominates the rest, I'll go with it.

Choices:

• Hardcore mode: I'll recreate the original Amnesia maps with rearranged puzzles, different mechanics and more dangerous monsters. I will not be changing the story at all! - This is like a 'Hard' button on any other game, just with more noticable differences. Hopefully this option will increase the playability, and the rearranged stuff will make you unable to anticipate what is coming next!
  • Survival mode: Unlike most current survival modes out there, this will be serious, with lot's of effort focusing on scripts, and monster AI. The player will not be able to hide in a closet permanantly for a couple of reasons, the most important of these is that his health is slowly draining. The map will feature a complex barricading system, a method to lock doors, and a scoring mechanism... Both barricading and locking a door will make it harder for them to break through. The player must survive by collecting laudanum which spawns throughout the map!
  • Co-op Amnesia: Yep! I know some people love the idea of co-op, and some people hate it, but this will be a never before tried way of making a custom story. Some of you may know that two or more players in one game is impossible, so I've had to design a little work-around. Two friends will start the custom story together (they must be able to communicate somehow) and they will begin a varety of puzzles together, with one person finding a note in one world, which hints to the other what they should do. If the players do not cooperate, there will be some serious consequences for both of them... Obviously there will be more to it than picking up a note, reading it et cetera, but not much more, because notes are one of the only ways to transfer information from one players world to the next.
Vote on your favourite idea above, I may or may not start it before my current story is finished. You can also vote for me to not make another story yet, and finish my current one now. If you have any more suggestions, tweaks or questions, just ask below!
Frankly all of those ideas are incredibly awesome in their own way. Big Grin

Even though I would look forward to all of them, survival would be the most interesting I think. The scoring idea would make it really re-playable, and no other custom story (to my knowledge) has had that as a concept.

RE: My Next Custom Story - DRedshot - 09-13-2011

(09-13-2011, 08:54 PM)NylePudding Wrote: Frankly all of those ideas are incredibly awesome in their own way. Big Grin

Even though I would look forward to all of them, survival would be the most interesting I think. The scoring idea would make it really re-playable, and no other custom story (to my knowledge) has had that as a concept.
Thank you, I have had these ideas in my head for a while now, and I couldn't resist sharing them Smile
The scoring system will be great, and quite easy to implement, but will use up possibly thousands of lines of the .lang file.

I'll wait untill tommorow night before finalising the results, but I think i'm leaning towards the sensible option and completing my current story first. The problem is, I'm a one man team, and progress has practically stopped due to lack of motivation... I've just been doing other things, which is quite dissapointing because of all the good feedback i've been getting with the story :/

RE: My Next Custom Story - HumiliatioN - 09-13-2011

Definitely Co-Op amnesia. I wanna know how you do this one.. Its not that simple in my opinion Smile

RE: My Next Custom Story - aidan499 - 09-14-2011

it is impossiable for a co-op story unless friconalgames add a option in. so.... i dont know about the co-op option you might need to leve it behind.

RE: My Next Custom Story - DRedshot - 09-14-2011

As I've said earlier
Quote:"It's important that people should know that you will not be able to see each other, you will each be in your own map"
the multiplayer element will arise from the fact that you have to speak to each other to progress.

Basically you are each in your own world, and when one person solves a puzzle they will recieve a hint which will help the other person complete their world.

This hint does not have to be a note, but there will be no way to physically interact with the other player in-game, so levers, puzzles etc will be restricted to your own world.

RE: My Next Custom Story - Pr3d4t0r - 09-14-2011

(09-14-2011, 03:18 PM)DRedshot Wrote: As I've said earlier
Quote:"It's important that people should know that you will not be able to see each other, you will each be in your own map"
the multiplayer element will arise from the fact that you have to speak to each other to progress.

Basically you are each in your own world, and when one person solves a puzzle they will recieve a hint which will help the other person complete their world.

This hint does not have to be a note, but there will be no way to physically interact with the other player in-game, so levers, puzzles etc will be restricted to your own world.

Great idea ! Could be awesome ! But when you finished the campain one time, you know what to do no ?