Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! (/thread-20831.html)

RE: New Amnesia, multiplayer ? - IsaacJGL - 06-06-2012

(02-19-2012, 12:08 AM)zober Wrote: Thats sad in my opinon. I believe that is many players thats want the Multiplayer function.
And who is that many players that want MultiPlayer?

RE: New Amnesia, multiplayer ? - CrazyShootin - 06-07-2012

Well. Amnesia plays a lot on the fact that all humans have instincts as pack animals. We get scared and unsure a lot easier when alone than in a group. Which means that it would probably kill a lot of the actually horror experience of the game. What you mentioned here sounds like a touch of the portal 2 co-op. Try that instead ^^

RE: New Amnesia, multiplayer ? - imgoneimdead - 06-07-2012

My reply to multiplayer amnesia. YOU BROKE MY HAND AND MY ATMOSPHERE
RARARARARA

RE: New Amnesia, multiplayer ? - virginsuicides - 06-10-2012

(02-18-2012, 11:46 PM)zober Wrote: As everyone know, a new amnesia is being created and Me and some friends were discussing how much fun it would be if you could play multiplayer (2-4 players). For example, one would have to each other's help to "boost" up a friend on a shelf and there is a key one would need to get ahead in the game.

Some suggestions for how to develop the multiplayer in amnesia:

One should not be able to block each other at the doors, etc.
They run through their team players (Left 4 Dead style) rather than to stop and get blocked
You must corporate with your teammate/s to make progress through the puzzles
If you want to get "boosted" up to a shelf. You press a button on your keyboard so you can be boosted up.

These are some thoughts that have been spun in my head and it would be funny if it came in the new amnesia game.
And of course, you could choose between Single and Multiplayer.

Please, discuss around this subject.

With best regards
zober.
The main game should be single player. Since this game is designed to scare you it would be much more scary if you were all alone. But they could make a short expansion pack (like Justine) and make it multiplayer. That would be cool. If only they could ever design it to be like that AND make it fun.

RE: New Amnesia, multiplayer ? - MaZiCUT - 06-10-2012

This will ruin the horror experience, imagine one grunt and there's you and your friend, who does he chase?

There's a cinematic you both need to experience exactly at the same time, How do you know you collide the area of the cinematic together?

This sounds fun if you want to have a laugh and not horror in amnesia, throwing arabic statues to each other and barrels on each other, but otherwise i don't think it is that great idea... please build up the pros for it then.

RE: New Amnesia, multiplayer ? - MaZiCUT - 06-10-2012

(06-10-2012, 07:32 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(06-10-2012, 07:27 PM)CrazyArts Wrote: This will ruin the horror experience, imagine one grunt and there's you and your friend, who does he chase?

There's a cinematic you both need to experience exactly at the same time, How do you know you collide the area of the cinematic together?

This sounds fun if you want to have a laugh and not horror in amnesia, throwing arabic statues to each other and barrels on each other, but otherwise i don't think it is that great idea... please build up the pros for it then.
Um, you just said pointed out two things and never established upon your first point and you never introduced the second.

And why do you type in a different colour?
I don't know, it's a thing that i'm stuck for.

RE: New Amnesia, multiplayer ? - Tenacious - 06-10-2012

A game such as Amnesia that relies so heavily on immersion and atmosphere has no need for multiplayer. As others have stated, the game simply has nothing to offer in the realm of multiplayer. A friend who was also in support for multiplayer told me "look at Portal 2". Yeah, I looked at it: it's a game centered around puzzles. While Amnesia does have puzzle aspects, it's not the main focus of the game, and trying to create a multiplayer experience based on a game mechanic that wasn't designed for multiple players in mind is simply mundane.

But that's just my opinion.

How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Link01000 - 07-02-2012

Me and a friend were talking about our experiences with Amnesia, and how scary of a game it was, and the

only thing that both of us decided it needed was co-op. We also both agreed that the game wouldn't be what

it is if it weren't for the amazing level of immersion you get from playing it, so I started thinking up ways to

make the game have a co-op mode, and still be horrifying. This is what I came up with:

-There would be voice chat, but it would be realistic
-You can only hear your friend if they are near you
-The louder you talk into your mike, the further away your friend can be and still here you. But they aren't the only ones who can hear you. >Smile
-If there are any parts of the game were your character is unable to speak for some reason(gagged?), voice chat wouldn't work either.

-You can betray your friend to save yourself: survival is human instinct, and sometimes when we get desperate, we do things we would never even think of doing to save ourselves.
-You can bait your friend so that a monster would attack them before you. Whether this would be done by
sneaking meat into their pocket, or making them smell a certain way by dumping bile on them, I don't know.
-You can push your friend to make them stumble, and possibly fall.
-You can lock the door behind you with them in the room if you don't want to risk a monster getting you.

-You can also help your friend, though, because not all of us are evil jerks. :3
-If your friend is hurt, you can help them walk faster by supporting them.
-You can give them items like lantern oil and health packs
-You won't die until the end of a level (or maybe a time limit), you just pass out. So if a friend wants to come back and help you, they can. It just won't be very easy. At all. Your friend will have to take a VERY big risk to come back and save you.

-If co-op were to have a separate campaign
-Both characters will need to survive to get the maximum score for a level. Someone can be dead, but you
won't get as good as a score
-there are certain things that can only be attained through both characters working together.

As much as I love the thought of co-op, I wouldn't want it to take away from the single-player of the game, or

be forced on to the ones who just want to play single player, as I know how annoying that can be

(Mass Effect 3). I also wouldn't even care to have a co-op if it were just a boring, generic versus mode

(Bioshock 2), I have Left 4 Dead for my Zombie-monster vs. player game modes. I do think that Amnesia would

benefit form a well-thought-out co-op mode, though, and think that it would really push the game to its full

potential.

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Damascus Rose - 07-02-2012

Ok, this is Amnesia, not Left 4 dead. All I have to say...

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Adny - 07-02-2012

No matter how good your co-op game is, it can never compare or even come close to immersion of playing alone. For horror games especially, the feeling of helplessness that is brought on by isolation is eliminated when you have a friend nearby.

Although the mechanics you've listed are pretty interesting, they don't suit Amnesia; they'd be better off for a FPS or adventure game of sorts.