Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! (/thread-20831.html)

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Link01000 - 07-02-2012

(07-02-2012, 11:39 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: Ok, this is Amnesia, not Left 4 dead. All I have to say...
Calm down. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you need to attack it. Notice I said I wouldn't want a co-op if it took away from the single-player or forced it onto you.

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Iki - 07-02-2012

(07-02-2012, 11:39 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: Ok, this is Amnesia, not Left 4 dead. All I have to say...
Really? Ugh, I'm on the wrong forums. =/

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Cruzore - 07-02-2012

There was (of course) a topic about this already. I myself thought the same as many others "No way you can get a good experience with an amnesia co-op" but the ideas you said, if they could be implemented, it would be 1 awesome co-op game. It would definitely not go near amnesia in horror-wise, since you don't have such immersion when you have a friend with you, but it may get close when you have such things implemented like "friend can't hear you that far" and such. And the option to either save your friend or betray them in the first possible way will increase suspiciousness after a few games, and you'll learn that you can trust nobody(which is, when you achieve that within a horror co-op game, a very good thing I think). I would definitely play such a well made co-op.
I can imagine playing penumbra:overture in co-op and stuffing beaf jerky in the pockets of my "ally" or in amnesia when my ally is in the other side of the room, I would throw a box near him so the monster wouldn't go after me first Smile

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Unearthlybrutal - 07-02-2012

Yes, but... no score systems...
It will kill the realism...

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Iki - 07-03-2012

(07-02-2012, 11:45 PM)andyrockin123 Wrote: No matter how good your co-op game is, it can never compare or even come close to immersion of playing alone.
Based on what facts? Now I'm not trying to dismiss your claim, but that's a hefty statement to stand by.

I do suppose what the OP was trying to imply with CO-OP was not just random people to party up with for the sake of the completion of the level, but to join with your friends and face the horrors of Amnesia together. I don't know about you, but Left 4 Dead was horrifying when I first started playing it, because I played it with my close friends and we were playing with survival in mind, not level completion.

To be fair, now that I've taken a step back from the L4D formula and have played with random people, L4D is no longer scary, let alone as fun as it was.

Also, I find it incredibly immersive to be playing with someone else who is experiencing the same horror as me. The same fear, the same adrenaline. Nothing can compare. Amnesia really has a chance to be an even better game than it already is. Take a look at some other great single-players games that would be great with full on Story-Mode CO-OP. Not just multiplayer. CO-OP.

Grand Theft Auto 4 - Imagine the story mode, but with CO-OP. Sure, the game has multiplayer, including free-roam, which is GREAT, but if only they had incorporated CO-OP, it would have been that much better.

Assassins Creed - While I'll admit that it would be much more difficult to really put CO-OP to good use in this series, it would be an amazing addition if Ubisoft would ever attempt the idea.

The Sims - Oh God, yes. Do any of you remember the multiplayer cheat in the Sims 2? I would use it while playing on my Gamecube. The diagonal split-screen was horrid, but by God, was it the best thing I've played in a long time.

The Elder Scrolls - Imagine true ES multiplayer. It doesn't have to be massive. At least let me and my buddy run around in each others worlds with our own characters. By golly, Bethesda could have my children.

Do you see my point? Why would you pass up on making a good game great? A great game even better? They don't even need to develop a whole new story for multiplayer, even though that would be amazing. Just allow me to run around with my pal in story mode. We want to experience this amazing story together. If they could incorporate the features references by the OP too, that'd be amazing.

Don't be so quick to put aside someones ideas, especially whey they are this amazing.

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - EXAWOLT - 07-03-2012

if your co-op friend dies, he can be found in a sacrifice room^^

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Cruzore - 07-03-2012

The problem is that the games you stated are not immersion-based horror games. Jumpscares, sure, it's fun to jump together with a friend. But immersion-wise, it's really hard to focus with a friend. It doesn't matter if you both play or just 1 does and the other watches, you always do "stupid stuff" that makes you both smile.
But I would still love an added co-op. Singleplayer first, as it has to be the best of all. After the Singleplayer is all perfect and there's still time/resources, I wouldn't mind a good co-op.

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Adny - 07-03-2012

@ Iki

(Because of the first sentence in your reply, I feel the need to say this is entirely my opinion, and should be received as such)

I apologize if that statement you quoted me on wasn't clear; since OP was referring to a horror game I thought it went without saying that I was too. Co-op is great for most genres, just not horror.

All I'm saying is that being alone is always scarier than having a friend right by you (metaphorically in this case); quite frankly playing online with a stranger who you know nothing about would be more frightening. Besides, the games you listed as good ideas for co-op weren't even horror. I'm not saying co-op is bad, it simply isn't ideal for an immersive horror experience.

Humans are some of the most social creatures; interaction (especially with that of someone with a similar goal of yours i.e. survival) will generally be much more comforting than being alone. Comfort = Not ideal for horror games.

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Gharren - 07-03-2012

There is no way to include a Co-Op mode without taking away a part of the immersion, no matter how good or realistic it is. The feeling of being alone and helpless in a hostile surrounding is one of the main aspects in the game.
As said before, this is not Left 4 Dead. Amnesia is not about score. FG should fully concentrate on singleplayer.

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Damascus Rose - 07-03-2012

(07-02-2012, 11:47 PM)Link01000 Wrote:
Calm down. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you need to attack it. Notice I said I wouldn't want a co-op if it took away from the single-player or forced it onto you.
I wasn't aware that I was worked up, so I feel no need to calm down. Your idea makes this co-op seem exactly like L4D, that is what I am saying. And no, I wasn't 'attacking' it, I was sharing my own opinion. I don't want Amnesia to become Left 4 Dead. And by nature co-op does make single player seem far more bland compared to a co-op mode, so it would deter people from wanting to play single player as much as playing the game with their friends. My other thought is that co-op would make the game become more of a 'let's have loads of fun and run away from monsters and scream YAY!!!!!' as opposed to the whole premise of amnesia, to be scared stiff and feel like you are hopelessly alone.

Also, making two accounts was kinda unnecessary. I'm looking at you, Iki.