Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! (/thread-20831.html)

RE: MP COOP mode for penumbra - Fatbaticus - 03-06-2008

Umm... why would you want single-player its says [THE BEST FIRST PERSON SINGLE PLAYER HORROR ADVENTURE]? plus i don't think you can even see the players player model lol.

RE: MP COOP mode for penumbra - Fatbaticus - 03-06-2008

Plus there are like 4 forums i was reading go to the other ones if you can find them Tongue

P.S. that would be awesome to have coop though

RE: Multiplayer Idea. - Kennyboy000 - 03-07-2008

I think, If you pick 2 players you get to each other shortly (like in black plauge it would be the room next to you and player 2 would be stuck till player one opens it)
And 4 players everybody is split off

RE: Multiplayer Idea. - Kennyboy000 - 03-07-2008

Also finished OverTure =3 The game stopped being scary .. Lame dogs .. And at the end it was pretty scary again,Nice end =3
Spoiler below!
A man standing and then the lights go out..I went further with a gas canister..And then the door opens and BAM ! Awesome :3

RE: Multiplayer Idea. - Kedjane - 03-07-2008

Thaliur Wrote:
Kedjane Wrote:Yes, we all hate WoN/WoG.
Great, nice to see people agree about this in a game-related forum Wink

I don't really know where Eminiss appears, but he's in Black Plague. Actually, now that I think about it, I can't be entirely certain he was called Eminiss... Oh, well, I guess you'll see.

Now where were we...
Oh yes, multiplayer. It would work if the players don't actually meet each other until shortly before the end, but still can influence the area the other player is in (power up generators, toggle lights... stuff like that) to help each other.
Oh, the power generator idea is great. Like that part in Black Plauge where you had to switch the power and do the run-through-light thing. That could work with two players sealed off from eachother, one having to turn on the lights to proceed - endangering the other player.
Not meeting alot is also a good thing. Players could do separate things for the first hours, then start doing some cooperative things while still not together, then meet and do two-player puzzles and split up again further ahead.

Cypherious Wrote:Nice idea,some players could be trapped,others would try to figure out how to help them,and the others would help them too.
And co-op in monster pwning,trapping and making them very calm.
I think,that it would be very nice.
A HL2 mod,The Shelter maps,lots of zombies and monsters.
And they got one objective.
Dispose of Tuurngait.
A HL2 multiplayer mod,co-op.
Players arrive with helicopter(some dumb rambo wonnabees with guns),and clean the shit out of here.
It could called ''The Sweep''....
We'll, making a HL2 mod of it would be the simplest but the worst. Half Life 2 don't use the same shadowing, same physics, same models and I don't think you'd be able to create Penumbra-ish enviroments using the Source Engine.
Using the Penumbra engine is probably better. There IS an SDK released, right?

RE: MP COOP mode for penumbra - Kedjane - 03-07-2008

Multiplayer for Penumbra would rock. If you don't think so, check into the other multiplayer thread and read through the ideas. Alot of idiots seem to be thinking by multiplayer we mean Unreal Tournament deathmatches.

And, please, stop thinking about things such as PHILIPS MODEL. If they were to create an entire multiplayer mode, don't you think they could add ONE FREAKING NEW model into the game? Don't worry about physics either, they could easily be transferred over the ent.

RE: MP COOP mode for penumbra - WindexGlow - 03-07-2008

Hardly ked; Penumbra physics are extremely precise.

The model of phylip would look horrible using HPL. I don't think HPL supports 'head movement' besides animation. Also, holding a box would look even more stupid; unless it's simply making it up in the air.

Alot of idiots seem to think that Frictional Games has a ton of money and artists to create new puzzles/levels and online support.

RE: Multiplayer Idea. - Kennyboy000 - 03-08-2008

I think so :/

RE: MP COOP mode for penumbra - Thaliur - 03-08-2008

If the players never actually meet in person, no one would need a player model Wink

The physics system could really be a problem, but again, if the players never actually meet, only the results of their respective actions will be of interest to the other player, so the physics calculations can be executed locally, and only their result would have to be transferred.

RE: MP COOP mode for penumbra - Linux.Blue - 03-08-2008

I can picture 8 Philip's all in one area beating up one dog. in other words, overkill and easy. I had played decent 3 and even call of duty online, they're fun, but that's because there are lots more enemies, and at least with descent 3, various places to wander off and kill more enemies.
penumbra seems too linear; is that the word? scripted, only one way really to go. there may be fights as to who does what, and conversations about who has what, this and that. it may seem neat at first; but may get boring quickly.
a two player co-op MAY be nicer; if one is possibly helping another, but any more may be pointless.