Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! (/thread-20831.html)

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - 07-03-2012

Quote: These suggestions would be great, but NOT for Co-op, instead having NPC
followers in the game, that you could help or hinder, moral choices and
consequences, a trust/loyalty system!
Ummm...I'm...not so sure about that. I can't remember a single game where NPC followers weren't a constant source of annoyance and ragequits for me. Big Grin Mostly due to their bad AI. I mean the monster AI was already bad enough in Amnesia and while that didn't hurt gameplay - do you really need an NPC follower that gets stuck on ledges, annoys you with constantly repeated lines of monologue, misinterprets your commands and makes you lose the game every time he obliviously stumbles into the arms of some Lovecraftian monstrosity? Wink

I also agree that having a companion always diminishes the feeling of being desperate and alone somewhat. So while I think the ideas mentioned are great - especially the voicechat bits - I don't think Amnesia is the right game for them. It relies too heavily on the feeling of loneliness for its horror to work.
Quote: But if anyone knows the game Journey on the playstation then perhaps
something could be learned from it's construction. I have long thought
the idea of multiplayer anonymity and limited communication could be
very valuable and has been slowly emerging in recent games.
Yup, Journey is awesome. Everyone should play it, it would make the world a better place Smile Not sure how one could implement that into a horror game though... hm, maybe like this: You randomly get connected with another player (like Journey does), so you'll sometimes unknowingly share the level with someone else. The thing is, that sometimes (maybe depending on current insanity) your or his appearance and sounds will be that of a monster instead of a friendly player. Of course neither of you knows what his character actually looks like so combined with the lack of communication there would be plenty of room for misunderstandings Big Grin
On second thought, players would probably just troll each other...

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - MaZiCUT - 07-03-2012

No matter what you say about the microphone communication, People will use skype, And so will I.

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Kreekakon - 07-03-2012

(07-02-2012, 11:36 PM)Link01000 Wrote: -You can betray your friend to save yourself: survival is human instinct, and sometimes when we get desperate, we do things we would never even think of doing to save ourselves.
-You can bait your friend so that a monster would attack them before you. Whether this would be done by
sneaking meat into their pocket, or making them smell a certain way by dumping bile on them, I don't know.
-You can push your friend to make them stumble, and possibly fall.
-You can lock the door behind you with them in the room if you don't want to risk a monster getting you.
A problem with this though is that it would probably piss your friend off very much if you just backstabbed them, and if either of you are familiar with the system, neither of you would be very much emotionally affected by the sacrifice, as its for gameplay progression reasons.
Quote:I believe The Thing game had something like that, but I haven't actually played it so I don't know how/if it worked.
I've played the thing, and I have to tell you although the system is there, it doesn't really impact gameplay that much. You're much better off milking every NPC's "support fire" as much you can, than using a blood test on them to expose them. If you expose them, you have to kill them, and you lose a gunner, as opposed to just letting them come with you, and continue helping you until the very last second when the thing decides to try to transform, and jump you.

Also, the system is also a bit flawed in the fact that EVERYONE eventually will become a thing.

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Macgyverthehero - 07-03-2012

I like the idea of Co-op for a horror game like amnesia and that reminds me...

What if it was like the Portal 2 Co-op? Puzzle solving together while avoiding hazards like monsters and environmental dangers.

Just I'm not sure how exactly the idea would work.

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Link01000 - 07-03-2012

(07-03-2012, 09:12 AM)Mehis Wrote: And when there is somebody yelling on the mic, it's going to be even more horrible.
If someone were yelling into the mic, it would attract monsters.... so that would keep people from yelling
Quote: Able to kill your friend is a horrible idea. I don't see anything immersive or realistic aspect on it. It would be more like Trollnesia where you troll your co-op buddy just to kill him.
I can definitely say that a lot of people would kill someone if that is what it would take to survive. Having the second person with you would help you, so you wouldn't just kill them for no reason, only if it was you or him.

Anyways, I was thinking about it last night before I went to bed, and I think having a friend could add to the feeling of despair and loneliness in the end. Imagine having that friend with you, and then getting separated, or them dying. You would feel even more alone than you would have if they hadn't been then in the first place.

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - spukrian - 07-03-2012

(07-03-2012, 03:44 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Ummm...I'm...not so sure about that. I can't remember a single game where NPC followers weren't a constant source of annoyance and ragequits for me. Big Grin Mostly due to their bad AI. I mean the monster AI was already bad enough in Amnesia and while that didn't hurt gameplay - do you really need an NPC follower that gets stuck on ledges, annoys you with constantly repeated lines of monologue, misinterprets your commands and makes you lose the game every time he obliviously stumbles into the arms of some Lovecraftian monstrosity? Wink
But that's the point, if you get tired of them you could sacrifice them, without getting game over. Big Grin

Of course, if you go out of your way to get your companions killed, the game should reflect this somehow.

(07-03-2012, 06:04 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: I've played the thing, and I have to tell you although the system is there, it doesn't really impact gameplay that much. You're much better off milking every NPC's "support fire" as much you can, than using a blood test on them to expose them. If you expose them, you have to kill them, and you lose a gunner, as opposed to just letting them come with you, and continue helping you until the very last second when the thing decides to try to transform, and jump you.

Also, the system is also a bit flawed in the fact that EVERYONE eventually will become a thing.
Then the system is pointless, at least in that game, I still think the system might work in other types of games where your companions don't turn into monsters...

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Damascus Rose - 07-03-2012

Sacrifice them, then they respawn around the corner with a machine gun ready for the next wave of enemies.

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Hunter of Shadows - 07-04-2012

Oh boy one of these threads again, and then everyone jumps on it again and discusses why they do or don't like the idea

[Image: beatingadeadhorse.gif]

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Clord - 07-04-2012

(07-04-2012, 06:40 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: Oh boy one of these threads again, and then everyone jumps on it again and discusses why they do or don't like the idea

[Image: beatingadeadhorse.gif]
It just shows that it would sell well for the co-op gamers. Co-op is still after all these years quite niche feature in the excellent games, so there is even site dedicated to find said games.

True reason why many oppose the said feature is that it takes development time away from the Single Player. As it is more complex to implement than just adding the second player like in the many co-op games like Magicka. Otherwise they would not mind of said option for those who like it.

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Kreekakon - 07-04-2012

(07-03-2012, 10:35 PM)Link01000 Wrote: Anyways, I was thinking about it last night before I went to bed, and I think having a friend could add to the feeling of despair and loneliness in the end. Imagine having that friend with you, and then getting separated, or them dying. You would feel even more alone than you would have if they hadn't been then in the first place.
*Meanwhile on Skype*

Player 1: Hey buddy, how's going on your end?
Player 2: It's okay, just that this cave in separated us...
Player 1: Dang it! I'm going to miss your cover fire...oh well, I'll meet you up ahead!
Player 2: Hey, I think my character's crying! I think he misses you!
Player 1: Wow, well more the reason to hurry up, and meet up then I suppose!
Player 2: Haha okay!

Get my point?