Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! (/thread-20831.html)

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Mehis - 07-07-2012

(07-07-2012, 04:21 PM)Tobbe Wrote:
(07-02-2012, 11:53 PM)Unearthlybrutal Wrote: Yes, but... no score systems...
It will kill the realism...
realism? why is there monsters than?
I hope you are sarcastic.

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - MaZiCUT - 07-07-2012

I really really hope you're just trolling now.

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Gharren - 07-07-2012

Even fantasy can be realistic to a certain grade.

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - 07-07-2012

Yeah, I think a better term than "realism" might be consistency or plausibility. It has to do with suspension of disbelief. A world needs to be consistent in itself, so a player can easily accept it as an alternative reality. A score system, a HUD, menus or pretty much everything that isn't a consistent part of the games world and rules might hurt the players immersion and remind him that he's simply playing a game.
(All hail Captain Obvious. Wink )

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Danny Boy - 07-08-2012

this reminds me on how dead space 3 will have co op... why can't people understand that horror and co op don't mix?

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - zaggnut - 07-10-2012

your idea sounds cool, id try it out and have a few laughs as i sacrificed my friend on the alter to save my own skin.... but in all seriousness of the game (being scared) it wouldn't compare to being alone.

besides, if i had to play the main campaign mode just to play multiplayer, the scares would get old.

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Hunter of Shadows - 07-11-2012

(07-08-2012, 01:30 AM)Danarogon Wrote: this reminds me on how dead space 3 will have co op... why can't people understand that horror and co op don't mix?
playing dead space for it's horror is like playing amnesia to troll monsters

Missing the point

Dead Space has horror elements in it, but that's not what you're there for, you're for the fun of it's rail shooting and action horror, co op can only enhance that, though honestly I'm in favor of having no coop for it

Amnesia's fun is...much harder to measure or quantify in any meaningful way, I would say it's from being scared personally, being scared when you're in no real danger is a thrill to most people, even if it is rather traumatic in Amnesia's case, as it's more of a nail chewing(and I'm not talking fingernails) terror that builds up from atmosphere when done correctly.

Amnesia's fun is also more from it's unique gameplay elements, there's nothing out there like Amnesia

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - rabbi - 07-18-2012

(07-08-2012, 01:30 AM)Danny Boy Wrote: this reminds me on how dead space 3 will have co op... why can't people understand that horror and co op don't mix?
Why can't you realize that scary is subjective...
what is the point of arguing against it? It wont affect you (not just you but to everyone that is against it) in anyway (at least I hope not) and if it does affect you then don't play it.

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - CorinthianMerchant - 07-18-2012

Oh look, the junior members wants co-op.

RE: How to make an immersion-friendly co-op - Traggey - 07-18-2012

I'm going to be attending a games development schooly place for the next two years, I'm going to make it my personal goal to accomplish this, you'll see! YOU'LL ALL SEE! MRWRAUWHRAAAAHAHAHAHA!