Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! (/thread-20831.html)

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - Danny Boy - 09-09-2012

(09-09-2012, 12:31 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
(09-09-2012, 12:26 AM)Danny Boy Wrote: This has been discussed more than enough times on this forum. And It has been concluded that horror and multiplayer do not mix well. therefore, no they will not make a multiplayer option if the game is a horror.
I did not realized this was discussed before. So you're saying the following idea wouldn't work:

"You lived in a normal town, out at a restaurant with your friends when screams and roars can be heard outside! People everywhere are running wild from something. During the mad rush that started indoors, you were knocked cold. Upon waking up, your friends are missing; everything is a mess; and dead silence reigns!"
text is text. Reality is another thing.

If you are playing whit a friend. you would more likely just scream left and right making fun of each other or the mocking the game itself. If you are alone however, people get paranoid more often. and focus on more on the details. its in the end a more disturbing and terrifying experience. if you want to play something online whit a friend play left 4 dead or download the cry of fear mod for half life.

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - Adny - 09-09-2012

(09-09-2012, 12:31 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: "You lived in a normal town, out at a restaurant with your friends when screams and roars can be heard outside! People everywhere are running wild from something. During the mad rush that started indoors, you were knocked cold. Upon waking up, your friends are missing; everything is a mess; and dead silence reigns!"
You still just described a 1-person, non-multiplayer scenario. Anyways, I agree whole-heartedly with Daniel-Son on this one. Horror and multiplayer simply don't mix; you can throw whatever argument you'd like my way, but that doesn't change the fact that there aren't any good horror co-op/multiplayer games around.

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - The Rock Worm - 09-09-2012

(09-09-2012, 01:08 AM)Danny Boy Wrote: text is text. Reality is another thing.

If you are playing whit a friend. you would more likely just scream left and right making fun of each other or the mocking the game itself. If you are alone however, people get paranoid more often. and focus on more on the details. its in the end a more disturbing and terrifying experience. if you want to play something online whit a friend play left 4 dead or download the cry of fear mod for half life.
I hadn't thought of that, good point. I wasn't sure at first so I thought I should bring it up and ask.

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - Macgyverthehero - 09-09-2012

Hmm.... I can think of alot of ideas how multiplayer could work in a horror game like amnesia, but at the moment we should look at other examples of this idea.

The upcoming game Slender: Source could be a good example of horror based co-op multiplayer, if Slender: Source is successful then maybe Frictional Games can think of a similar concept of co-op multiplayer in one of their future games.

(09-09-2012, 01:47 AM)Macgyverthehero Wrote: Hmm.... I can think of alot of ideas how multiplayer could work in a horror game like amnesia, but at the moment we should look at other examples of this idea.

The upcoming game Slender: Source could be a good example of horror based co-op multiplayer, if Slender: Source is successful then maybe Frictional Games can think of a similar concept of co-op multiplayer in one of their future games.
Heard some on Slender, will have to keep an eye on it and Frictional Games to see what happens.

I still think, even considering what a few people could do, multiplayer could expand on the horror. My city filled with horrors from earlier is a great example. It has plenty of space for all kinds of monsters and scares, and with more people comes even harder puzzles and story.

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - Danny Boy - 09-09-2012

(09-09-2012, 01:47 AM)Macgyverthehero Wrote: Hmm.... I can think of alot of ideas how multiplayer could work in a horror game like amnesia, but at the moment we should look at other examples of this idea.

if someone can scream "LOL" to a friend it already failed as a horror. so I am skeptic about it.

(09-09-2012, 02:04 AM)Danny Boy Wrote:

if someone can scream "LOL" to a friend it already failed as a horror. so I am skeptic about it.
I haven't played it, so I can't say how good it is. It varies from person to person on what scares them.

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - Gaviao - 09-09-2012

i agree on the multiplayer mode,there are many ways to make an multiplayer game become even more horrible than single-player,the creators of the game just... must be creative...
(google translator)

(09-09-2012, 03:42 AM)Gaviao Wrote: i agree on the multiplayer mode,there are many ways to make an multiplayer game become even more horrible than single-player,the creators of the game just... must be creative...
(google translator)
Agreed, though after playing Penumbra and Amnesia 1, I think they are creative enough.

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - Ghieri - 09-09-2012

It's got nothing to do with "harder puzzles". It's human psychology... we are less scared when there is more than one person. It goes back to when we were living in trees. If someone was thrown from the tree, they were likely to get eaten. Groups are safer. "safe" should not exist in horror.

Not to mention it's distracting when a friend starts playing "tag" with the monsters or starts yelling "Barrels!", for instance.