Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! (/thread-20831.html)

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - Robby - 09-09-2012

Multiplayer tends to ruin the horror. Being alone already is enough for me. Place the character (alone) in an environment (like a forest, a dark and mysterious one), and I am already creeped out. Not as much when there's a friend there (multiplayer). That tends to kill the horror, because you're safe. And safety shouldn't exist, since horror makes every corner unsafe.

And wasn't this discussed so many times before? It always met with negative reviews. And discussing it again is not really going to make it better.

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - Deep One - 09-09-2012

Who said the next frictional game is pure horror game like Amnesia? If their next game is adventure/mystery game with slight horror elements, I think co-op would work. But if we are talking about Amnesia, then no.

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - Danny Boy - 09-09-2012

(09-09-2012, 11:55 AM)Deep One Wrote: Who said the next frictional game is pure horror game like Amnesia? If their next game is adventure/mystery game with slight horror elements, I think co-op would work. But if we are talking about Amnesia, then no.
No Co-op! end of discussion.

Frictional games haven gained reputation for making intense horror single player games. NOT CO OPS!

Its like as if you made a restaurant where you specialized in Italian food... but for some reason the clients want them to make Chinese. Its stupid and childish. games don't get better whit multiplayer. In fact sometimes they get worse. Because one thing you may lack to comprehend. Frictional games make art. a story. if you make it a co op and expect for people to understand the story at the same time its ridiculous.

besides what do you want for a co op in a Amnesia like game? I mean really have you even though what the gameplay would look like? just two persons walking around for hours in a point and click game! thats for one person to enjoy! not two kids scream at each other "this game is boring!" or "when will we get som GUNZ?!" or "fuck this game lets play focking COLL of DUCHY!"

for fuck SAKE NO FUCKING CO OP! if you want to play a co op I already told you! play either left 4 dead or Cry of fear!

NOTE: Traggey if you see this I recommend locking this thread. This subject has been more then discussed and repeated countless times now. we don't need 10 threads whit the exact same title.

(09-09-2012, 01:56 PM)Danny Boy Wrote:
(09-09-2012, 11:55 AM)Deep One Wrote: Who said the next frictional game is pure horror game like Amnesia? If their next game is adventure/mystery game with slight horror elements, I think co-op would work. But if we are talking about Amnesia, then no.
No Co-op! end of discussion.

Frictional games haven gained reputation for making intense horror single player games. NOT CO OPS!

Its like as if you made a restaurant where you specialized in Italian food... but for some reason the clients want them to make Chinese. Its stupid and childish. games don't get better whit multiplayer. In fact sometimes they get worse. Because one thing you may lack to comprehend. Frictional games make art. a story. if you make it a co op and expect for people to understand the story at the same time its ridiculous.

besides what do you want for a co op in a Amnesia like game? I mean really have you even though what the gameplay would look like? just two persons walking around for hours in a point and click game! thats for one person to enjoy! not two kids scream at each other "this game is boring!" or "when will we get som GUNZ?!" or "fuck this game lets play focking COLL of DUCHY!"

for fuck SAKE NO FUCKING CO OP! if you want to play a co op I already told you! play either left 4 dead or Cry of fear!

NOTE: Traggey if you see this I recommend locking this thread. This subject has been more then discussed and repeated countless times now. we don't need 10 threads whit the exact same title.
Oh my fucking god. Read my post again. Did I say that I want co-op to Amnesia? NO I DIDN'T! Of course it would ruin game like Amnesia, but it could work in another game.
And this thread is not only about Amnesia, it's about next Frictional Games Adventure like The Rock Worm said. We know nothing about FG's next game yet, it could be horror or even a truck simulator...

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - The Rock Worm - 09-09-2012

I'm not talking about Amnesia, it would probably be a new game entirely. A bot co-op would be better I think, you can program him/her to do what you want... then images the horror when that character is killed and then you're alone! Just think of Penumbra Black Plague, Amabel was alive and you were seeking her for help and hope. (In case anyone hasn't played Black Plague, I will not spoil any further, but for those who has then you know what happened).

I'm not saying for th entire gameplay, just the beginning. It's like having a weapon, it makes you feel comfortable, then imagine how scared you'd be if every 'comfort' was removed. Being in a scary situation to start off is good, but I think you first being in a 'comfort zone' and then having it removed would do wonders to scare you.

(09-09-2012, 02:52 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
I'm not talking about Amnesia, it would probably be a new game entirely. A bot co-op would be better I think, you can program him/her to do what you want... then images the horror when that character is killed and then you're alone! Just think of Penumbra Black Plague, Amabel was alive and you were seeking her for help and hope. (In case anyone hasn't played Black Plague, I will not spoil any further, but for those who has then you know what happened).
Yeah I know it, but some other guys think we're talking about Amnesia

(09-09-2012, 02:58 PM)Deep One Wrote:
(09-09-2012, 02:52 PM)The Rock Worm Wrote:
Yeah I know it, but some other guys think we're talking about Amnesia
I had hoped I was clear about this being a new game entirely. I guess I will have to be clearer next time I start a thread talking about a future Frictional Games Adventure.
I'm convinced about another player/npc. This thread has served its purpose and is done.

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - Ghieri - 09-09-2012

Dude, we get it. We aren't talking about just Amnesia. Co-op would be bad for any horror/adventure game.

Quote: I'm convinced about another player/npc.
Then why make a thread if you are already convinced? Were you just hoping that everyone would automatically agree with you?

Don't. Do. That. Seriously. If you make a thread, expect discussion and disagreement.

(09-09-2012, 06:40 PM)Aldighieri Wrote: Dude, we get it. We aren't talking about just Amnesia. Co-op would be bad for any horror/adventure game.

Quote: I'm convinced about another player/npc.
Then why make a thread if you are already convinced? Were you just hoping that everyone would automatically agree with you?

Don't. Do. That. Seriously. If you make a thread, expect discussion and disagreement.
I wasn't at first. I wanted to bring up the subject. Meeting an NPC is better than having one around all the time.

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - Magic Wizard - 10-04-2012

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forums. I've been reading threads on this topic all over the internet, but I've never responded until now.

Firstly, people need to stop saying it "would never work" or that "Having more than one person instantly makes everything not scary", that's really not true...
Whenever people say these things, I picture the game as looking like Amnesia, except with player models from Counterstrike bunny hopping around with guns.

Honestly, all it would take to make co-op work, would be:
1. Make the character animations look realistic, not silly
2. Make a proximal in-game voice chat system where you can only hear your friend if they are nearby
3. Separate the players occasionally, and give them plenty of opportunities to get lost and lose each other, but make it so this doesn't necessarily slow down progress or gameplay too much.

I mean, come on, just because some people want to play these sorts of games with friends and share moments of sheer terror with one another isn't all that ridiculous. How is it much different from playing a horror game with a friend sitting next to you in real life?