Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Multiplayer/Co-Op & Frictional Games? NO!!! (/thread-20831.html)

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - Statyk - 10-04-2012

I actually really like those bullet points Magic. I'd love to play that kind of horror game. =] My favorite part is the proximial voice chat. It adds that unique gameplay element, which changes the gameplay dramatically. What if you can't hear your friend? What if your character gets hurt and you can't talkas loud? It could really set the players on edge of being careful. There is a safety feeling having your friend near you, but when you are defenseless, if brings back that fear.

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - Deep One - 10-05-2012

People would use Skype or TS, trust me

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - Kman - 10-05-2012

Well then that's their fault. There will always be people that will "experience it the wrong way", whether it's through multiplayer or not. Just think about the Dark Descent and how many people have said it's not a scary game, yet they didn't even attempt to immerse themselves/play it as it was intended to be played. If they use Skype or some other way to talk to each other, then that's their loss, but I don't think they should completely disregard the idea because there are going to be players that won't play it as it was intended to be played.

I actually had the same idea a while back, but I think the main problem would be if you separated the players there's a good chance that one of the players will progress through a certain area much slower than the other, making the other one have to wait for them to catch up (that is assuming certain levels require two players to be completed, and if there weren't any like that then I think multiplayer would be pointless). The only way I could think of to get around that without breaking the immersion (like teleporting one of the players forward after a certain amount of time) is to never separate the players, and then the whole idea of proximal voice chat would be pointless because you'd always be near each other. It's an interesting idea, but I think it would need a lot of fleshing out before it could work.

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - Statyk - 10-05-2012

I would not be expecting this kind of game to be the scariest game ever like Amnesia, but a horror game that actually feels like horror in multiplayer, unlike what I assume Dead Space 3 will be. Doom 3 multiplayer was closer to it, but the whole gun thing took away from the real stress of horror. If it had amnesia elements, but kept these multiplayer elements as well and did it right, I would most certainly get that game. Single player games are fun, but sometimes I like to play with friends, you know? I'm not expecting a multiplayer horror to be equal to or better than Amnesia, but at least let it be scary.

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - Robby - 10-05-2012

I remember in L4D2 that (when there was a storm coming around), the voice system (in-game) would make the communications muffled.

That was cool.

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - Mehis - 10-05-2012

I know I said it would never work but now when I really thing about it, it would make great fun.
I could imagine having some kind of custom survival map and other one screaming in the mic "OH MY GOD HE'S RIGHT BEHIND ME!"
Puzzles, survival, etc. It would be fun, IMO.

Yeah, doesn't really fit into Amnesia. Too "fun".

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - Bridge - 10-05-2012

I think you guys take the game way too seriously. If it's reasonably easy to implement a multiplayer function would be great. It doesn't always have to be total immersion and horror; there's a time and a place for everything. Screwing around with friends, while not something I'm totally interested in, is perfectly valid.

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - Acies - 10-06-2012

Frictional games is a small indie company. Having them develope a multiplayer mode which they feel content with releasing might be outside of their budget.

I would rather see that they spend their time and effort on upgrading the engine (which they are currently doing). However, if there was a magical button which instantly developed multiplayer out of thin air I'd have nothing against that ^^

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - Statyk - 10-06-2012

I'm not saying Frictional has to do it, anyone can. It's just whoever beats it to the gold first.

RE: Multiplayer Poll/Discussion - The Rock Worm - 10-08-2012

(10-06-2012, 04:25 AM)Statyk Wrote: I'm not saying Frictional has to do it, anyone can. It's just whoever beats it to the gold first.
I don't see any multiplayer options in my first story saga, so I won't get gold. However that means I can focus more on the adventure the single player goes through.