Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Co-op horror - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Co-op horror (/thread-20856.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Co-op horror - Bridge - 03-22-2013

Yeah, I don't mean to beat a dead horse, especially with all of the threads being merged and then locked, but I read an article on Cracked the other day that proposes a co-op horror set-up that actually has a good chance of succeeding, even if the players are joking. Somebody has already brought something similar up but I feel that person's idea was unfairly dismissed. So, in the interest of some good discussion, I ask you to read the article (#3 on page 2) and chime in with your thoughts. It's not really that original, but surely we can all agree that it is an interesting idea that does not betray any of the horror ideals we hold so dearly.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-best-ideas-video-games-that-will-never-get-made_p2/

RE: Co-op horror - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - 03-22-2013

Well, the last thread that was merged/ closed two days ago was actually about this exact cracked article....my thoughts about it are in there too, (three posts further down) so I won't post the same rambling in here again Wink

RE: Co-op horror - Bridge - 03-22-2013

(03-22-2013, 10:00 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Well, the last thread that was merged/ closed two days ago was actually about this exact cracked article....my thoughts about it are in there too, (three posts further down) so I won't post the same rambling in here again Wink

Ah, sorry. I didn't bother to check, since the article is so recent. In any case, this thread is open if anybody wants to discuss it further.

RE: Co-op horror - bluel0bster - 03-23-2013

Seems like a really cool concept for a horror game, but I can only imagine how hard it would be to implement.

RE: Co-op horror - Your Computer - 03-23-2013

The only way "co-op horror" would work is if you get rid of the concept of "co-op;" otherwise, the article is kidding itself.

RE: Co-op horror - Sarcophagus - 03-23-2013

When I see something like 'co-op horror' the first thing that comes in my mind is DOOM 3 , great experience Tongue

Anyway the co-op in Amnesia could ruin the game

RE: Co-op horror - Bridge - 03-23-2013

(03-23-2013, 08:50 AM)Your Computer Wrote: The only way "co-op horror" would work is if you get rid of the concept of "co-op;" otherwise, the article is kidding itself.

I disagree. The deliberate non-inclusion of co-op midgame (especially if it's unanticipated) is equivalent to starting the game in a well lit area, only to deprive you of light later on (and we can all agree how effectively FG have used that concept). It gives you solace in the fact that at least you are not alone, only to freaking torment you with the prospect of suddenly being completely alone. I admit everything needs to fall exactly into place for it to be successful, but I find it unfair to dismiss the idea based only on the fact that it's "co-op without the co-op".

RE: Co-op horror - Googolplex - 03-23-2013

Co-op is ALWAYS bad, because in a horror game you have to feel ALONE and MORE ALONE. Also co-op only would ruin the intense of dark emotions by making a fun-challenge of it. That also would ruin plausibility of puzzles and atmosphere get lost.

Co-op may could be some fun, but fun is not that part of a true horror game. It is just kitschy when you are running together with a friend through the environment and play like a GAME. But we should forget thinking it is a game, and Amnesia never wanted to represent itself as a computer game.

RE: Co-op horror - eliasfrost - 03-23-2013

(03-23-2013, 01:28 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Co-op is ALWAYS bad, because in a horror game you have to feel ALONE and MORE ALONE. Also co-op only would ruin the intense of dark emotions by making a fun-challenge of it. That also would ruin plausibility of puzzles and atmosphere get lost.

Co-op may could be some fun, but fun is not that part of a true horror game. It is just kitschy when you are running together with a friend through the environment and play like a GAME. But we should forget thinking it is a game, and Amnesia never wanted to represent itself as a computer game.

Even singleplayer Horror games can be made funny, it's all about immersion and roleplay, I've roleplayed a boardgame (mansion of madness) in coop and the story turned out pretty morbid and creepy. The game itself can't scare you, you make the game scare you, if that makes sense.

And you are certainly the only one to dictate what a true horror game is, go to sleep.

RE: Co-op horror - plutomaniac - 03-23-2013

I'm moving this to Off-Topic section even if I'm pretty certain that there are many similar topics there too.

Maybe the general (not game specific) co-op/multiplayer topics at Off-Topic should be merged too. But for now, if a co-op or multiplayer topic is under Amnesia General Discussion, then it should have to do with Amnesia and because of that it will be merged to the big locked one.