Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Bitterwood Peak (RELEASE) - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-35.html)
+---- Forum: Showcase (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-36.html)
+---- Thread: Bitterwood Peak (RELEASE) (/thread-21275.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Bitterwood Peak (RELEASE) - darkely - 04-29-2013

(04-29-2013, 10:13 PM)Streetboat Wrote: Well originally I had
Spoiler below!
the bunker and the lodge as the same level, as well as the massive mountain range in the ending, so it had to render all of that. I split all of those up into separate levels. I also changed all the outside trees within the lodge level to low poly versions, and I made non-important entities near spotlights to not be shadowcasting. Acies noticed that some models I was using in the kitchen, the counters, had obnoxiously huge textures that were wasting space and processing power, so he downsized those a lot and it ran a lot smoother.

(04-29-2013, 10:19 PM)Robosprog Wrote: You could just have made the static objects (walls etc) as one expobj file, and they would render as one object I believe, which could improve performance in that aspect? I may be wrong here though.

Well my system should be able to run it properly, but it doesn't... I can run other CS (including total conversions) without an issue.

RE: Bitterwood Peak (RELEASE) - Streetboat - 04-29-2013

(04-29-2013, 10:19 PM)Robosprog Wrote: You could just have made the static objects (walls etc) as one expobj file, and they would render as one object I believe, which could improve performance in that aspect? I may be wrong here though.

Is this a thing? Does anyone know if this is true?

RE: Bitterwood Peak (RELEASE) - darkely - 04-29-2013

(04-29-2013, 10:20 PM)Streetboat Wrote:

Is this a thing? Does anyone know if this is true?

My simple line of thought: if the game only has to load one file isn't that faster than loading many?

Of course I could be wrong.

RE: Bitterwood Peak (RELEASE) - WALP - 04-29-2013

That is true, but you also gotta remember that if you combine all the objects then culling wont work properly. culling for those who dont know is in amnesia something that makes it so objects not on screen does not get rendered, but if you combine all the objects into one then it will render the entire thing at once if just one object is visible.
The advantage though is that it only has to do one render pass for the object rather then having to do it for every single one.

So its about finding the right balance.
If its not too much work then its definitely worth trying though, walls arent usally the things with the most tris so their combined effect on performance might be outweighted by the amount of passes they need.

RE: Bitterwood Peak (RELEASE) - Streetboat - 04-29-2013

See, I thought expobj's were just for ease of moving stuff between levels. I use it when I need to move stuff between levels.

Is rendering handled differently with compounds, too? Or is that purely for grouping and ease of movement of assets?

RE: Bitterwood Peak (RELEASE) - PutraenusAlivius - 04-30-2013

Hey, bro, can I borrow some of your ideas?

RE: Bitterwood Peak (RELEASE) - Streetboat - 04-30-2013

u srs bro

RE: Bitterwood Peak (RELEASE) - PutraenusAlivius - 04-30-2013

(04-30-2013, 07:49 AM)Streetboat Wrote: u srs bro

yaeeesss. btw, its the glass roof

RE: Bitterwood Peak (RELEASE) - Streetboat - 04-30-2013

i don't own rights to the idea of sunroofs, but I just like how almost everyone's reaction to this story has been 'I WANT TO USE EVERYTHING HERE IN MY STORY' rather than just an appreciation of the unique style I tried to accomplish. Yano, things become less impressive the more redone they become. Can't something just exist by itself without being copied ad nauseum?

RE: Bitterwood Peak (RELEASE) - Nice - 04-30-2013

halfway done (i think) with your CS and i must say.. Been an enjoyable experience so far Big Grin Good job