Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-50.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-51.html)
+--- Thread: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 (/thread-21385.html)

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Paddy™ - 06-15-2013

(06-15-2013, 07:32 PM)samueljustice00 Wrote: This is not an ARG, as I have already said. All I'm saying is why don't people at least try and decipher the lyrics of the song instead of bashing it.

Every single thing that has been revealed has been bashed for not being good enough, I wouldn't worry too much about it mate. The thing to remember is that the complaints tend to come from two sources - pseudo-intellectual dicks who spuriously claim some kind of expertise and post-pubescent kids. Fuck 'em Smile Heart

Let's first try and establish what the lyrics are and then translate them. Obviously most of us don't speak Latin so feel free to write the words "phonetically" then we can clean them up later. Here's my first (laughable) attempt:

Mors praematura [00:05 - 00:14]
Pladan morte ferron leech flee children [00:14 - 00:24]
Armitise catre spen tralan [00:24 - 00:36]
Fondoz fort ten chipi [00:36 - 00:45]
Momento mori, momento mori [00:45 - 00:58]
Fos mentra turra [00:58 - 01:02]
Abis miths fut mes [01:02 - 01:10]
Mors praematura, mors praematura [01:10 - 01:35]

Cheers to FromTheSidelines for getting "Memento Mori"!

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - LordGubGub - 06-15-2013

I've been working on it the past few days, it's pretty difficult to decipher. I sent my Latin mentor a link to the music since he's usually pretty good at this stuff, and he's happy to help me out. I haven't heard from him yet though, but once/if we come up with something, I'll post it here. Translating (especially Latin) by ear is very difficult to do, so don't get your hopes up, and don't expect it to be accurate.

Also, thanks Paddy, your interpretation of the lyrics helped!
Oh, and thank you FromTheSidelines for "memento mori!"

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - bluel0bster - 06-16-2013

Took a few years of Latin in high school, which wasn't too long ago for me. I'll see if I can't figure something out from the lyrics.

Like somebody already proposed, "Mors Praematura" does mean "Premature (or less literally) Early Death".

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Zgroktar - 06-16-2013

(06-15-2013, 07:32 PM)samueljustice00 Wrote:
(06-15-2013, 07:18 PM)Kein Wrote: The quality is quite bad and even if it was good - doubt anyone here had good enough equipment to decipher them. Plus linguistic knowledge of course. This ARG will be skipped and no so many people care after all..
This is not an ARG, as I have already said. All I'm saying is why don't people at least try and decipher the lyrics of the song instead of bashing it.

Well, do you know the lyrics? Smile

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Ashtoreth - 06-16-2013

I think we should only add words that we are reasonably confident about. By that I mean real Latin words, even if they are not inflected correctly. We can always confirm beforehand (Wiktionary is a great source), or just google it to make sure the words exist. Otherwise the text might get a little confusing to read/interpret.

Ok, onto my attempt... (bold text):

Mors praematura
Cladem morti feram intelligere
Habitet patres ___________
Fundus
Mors praematura, mors praematura

What do you guys think?

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - felixmole - 06-16-2013

(06-15-2013, 08:42 PM)Paddy Wrote: [00:05 - 00:14]
Pladan morte ferron leech flee children [00:14 - 00:24]
Latam mortiferam id fligere me

No particular knowledge in latin, but from the languages I know I sense it is something along these lines.

EDIT: lol.. not sure at all actually reading the above post.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Ashtoreth - 06-16-2013

Yes, mortiferam, not morti feram like I wrote Smile
And it could be infligere! So cladem mortiferam infligere = "inflict deadly disaster"?

I don't know much about Latin either, except for some music I listen to and a few Latin songs I used to sing in a church choir when I was a child.

EDIT: Sometimes it sounds like infligere to me, others it sounds like intelligere (which means perceive, understand, discern)...
I'm so confused lol.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Bridge - 06-16-2013

I heard it as infligere too.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Paddy™ - 06-16-2013

I hope Jess doesn't mind but I chopped the song up into digestible sentences and also added copies of each part with some tweaking to make it easier to hear the vocals. Here's the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?29wouukzxntl9qq [5.18 MB]

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Gilligan's Hell - 06-16-2013

I Put the latin lines from the song through a translator

Translated parts: premature death
I understand the disaster death
Fathers live ___________
farm ___________________
Remember the death, remember to die