Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-50.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-51.html)
+--- Thread: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 (/thread-21385.html)

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - bluel0bster - 06-16-2013

Trying to figure out the fourth line. First word sounds like "hundus" or "mundus," but neither of those are Latin words. Can clearly hear the "undus" part, but the very first consonant is a bit too distorted to hear.

Second word sounds like "vult" which is similar to the word for vulture "vultur" and the word for appearance, "vultus."

Third word is almost definitely "de" which has a myriad of meanings based on context OR it's just the ending "e" of whatever the second word is.

Fourth word confused me a bit because of the "ch" sound, but some people pronounce the Latin 'c's as "ch." So it could very well be "cepi," the infinitive of capio, meaning "to seize, grasp, or capture."

Just found something really interesting on the "Memento mori" bit!

When translating Latin, it's imperative (no pun intended) to keep in mind how flexible the language can be. While "Memento mori" can be translated very literally, "remember death" or "remember the death," I did a quick google search and found this article. Turns out this is a semi-common Latin saying meaning, "Remember that you will die." Which is, according to wikipedia, "an artistic or symbolic reminder of the inevitability of death."

With the same logic in mind, "Mors praematura" could be translated as "You will die an early death" or maybe even "You will die soon."

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Gilligan's Hell - 06-16-2013

(06-16-2013, 02:41 AM)bluel0bster Wrote: Trying to figure out the fourth line. First word sounds like "hundus" or "mundus," but neither of those are Latin words. Can clearly hear the "undus" part, but the very first consonant is a bit too distorted to hear.

Second word sounds like "vult" which is similar to the word for vulture "vultur" and the word for appearance, "vultus."

Third word is almost definitely "de" which has a myriad of meanings based on context OR it's just the ending "e" of whatever the second word is.

Fourth word confused me a bit because of the "ch" sound, but some people pronounce the Latin 'c's as "ch." So it could very well be "cepi," the infinitive of capio, meaning "to seize, grasp, or capture."

Just found something really interesting on the "Memento mori" bit!

When translating Latin, it's imperative (no pun intended) to keep in mind how flexible the language can be. While "Memento mori" can be translated very literally, "remember death" or "remember the death," I did a quick google search and found this article. Turns out this is a semi-common Latin saying meaning, "Remember that you will die." Which is, according to wikipedia, "an artistic or symbolic reminder of the inevitability of death."

With the same logic in mind, "Mors praematura" could be translated as "You will die an early death" or maybe even "You will die soon."

Reading the translations gave me full on goosebumps.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - felixmole - 06-16-2013

(06-16-2013, 01:53 AM)Ashtoreth Wrote: Yes, mortiferam, not morti feram like I wrote Smile
And it could be infligere! So cladem mortiferam infligere = "inflict deadly disaster"?
I'm quite sure there is a "me" at the end of this sentence. Infligere-me? I don't know if there are schwas in Latin. If so it would be pronounced like "Infliger-me"

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - MyRedNeptune - 06-16-2013

(06-15-2013, 08:42 PM)Paddy Wrote: Every single thing that has been revealed has been bashed for not being good enough, I wouldn't worry too much about it mate. The thing to remember is that the complaints tend to come from two sources - pseudo-intellectual dicks who spuriously claim some kind of expertise and post-pubescent kids. Fuck 'em Smile Heart

Wow, how condescending! What a mean thing to say.

On topic: I wish I knew at least some latin, heh. Tongue

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - emaper - 06-16-2013

"Cladem mortiferam infligere me, (or infligerme)."
Translated in Italian, (sorry I'm Italian xD): "mi venne inferta a me una perdita mortale, (micidiale)".
Translated in English: "I had inflicted a micidial loss". I dunno if this is grammatically correct.

By the way, Latin is pretty similar to Italian...

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Spaceman - 06-16-2013

Been away for a little over a week, anything important that I missed? Big Grin

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Deep One - 06-16-2013

(06-16-2013, 03:44 PM)Spaceman Wrote: Been away for a little over a week, anything important that I missed? Big Grin

2 new screenshots, nothing special

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - GrAVit - 06-16-2013

Here's the trailer of a new game for the PS4 called The Order: 1886.
It might give an idea of what the Victorian era London was like, even though it features things not really present during that period of time.

Also, the level designer working on it is Wesley Tack, the same guy that worked on AAMFP. Both feature the Victorian era London as the environment, so I'd expect to see some similarities.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Spaceman - 06-16-2013

(06-16-2013, 03:51 PM)Deep One Wrote:
(06-16-2013, 03:44 PM)Spaceman Wrote: Been away for a little over a week, anything important that I missed? Big Grin

2 new screenshots, nothing special

Cool thanks Smile The pages that I missed (10+) looked like drivel that wasn't particularly important so I wasn't particularly bothered to sift through it.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - AdamD - 06-16-2013

I never studied latin... I'm Spanish, however, so I can deduce something (no else than the title, 'Mors praematura' is very similar to 'Muerte prematura').