Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-50.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-51.html)
+--- Thread: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 (/thread-21385.html)

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - WALP - 07-02-2013

(07-01-2013, 04:31 PM)Alex Ros Wrote:
(06-29-2013, 03:17 PM)felixmole Wrote:
(06-29-2013, 02:55 PM)GrAVit Wrote: I think the game will receive some negative feedback for no custom story support. The rest of the feedback is all about the quality of the game.
CS support is more important than the main game?
It's important for hundreds of thousands of fans who're used to play custom stories. ATDD is a very popular modding platform, at least it's so according to ModDB statistics.

But even if AMFP really won't be supporting CS, nearly for sure there still will be a tricky way to make mods. Engine is only going to be updated, it's not absolutely new, so total conversions would be possible to make. At least I hope so. The worst thing could happen, if engine gameplay functions will be heavily changed and tweaked. It would mean that usual HPL2.0 functions won't work or won't work properly and as a result scripting would be a problem. For example it's already known that inventory is cutted off at AMFP and that alone is a big problem technically. Even for total conversions. But I really hope that most of engine updates will be about shaders, color correction, lighting and shadows calculations... blah... anyway, let's wait and see.
We could of course look at the AMFP scripts and try to figure them out ourselfes.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Alex Ros - 07-02-2013

(07-02-2013, 10:38 AM)The Mug Wrote:
(06-29-2013, 02:55 PM)GrAVit Wrote: I think the game will receive some negative feedback for no custom story support. The rest of the feedback is all about the quality of the game.
It's important for hundreds of thousands of fans who're used to play custom stories. ATDD is a very popular modding platform, at least it's so according to ModDB statistics.

But even if AMFP really won't be supporting CS, nearly for sure there still will be a tricky way to make mods. Engine is only going to be updated, it's not absolutely new, so total conversions would be possible to make. At least I hope so. The worst thing could happen, if engine gameplay functions will be heavily changed and tweaked. It would mean that usual HPL2.0 functions won't work or won't work properly and as a result scripting would be a problem. For example it's already known that inventory is cutted off at AMFP and that alone is a big problem technically. Even for total conversions. But I really hope that most of engine updates will be about shaders, color correction, lighting and shadows calculations... blah... anyway, let's wait and see.
We could of course look at the AMFP scripts and try to figure them out ourselfes.
Yup, that's is exactly what was happening with Stalker modding community (for example) with all those Stalker engine updates. We were nearly blindly just looking through open scripts and thus understanding what was changed, which classes were cutted, which added, etc. It's, god damn, extremely boring work. And what was the most shitty is that LOTS of functions were hidden inside of engine .dll files. It's a pain in the ass to disassemble .dll's properly and find out what was changed. I really hope that situation won't happen here with AMFP. I really hope that the ability to make total conversions will be OK.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - blueberry - 07-02-2013

(07-02-2013, 02:36 PM)Alex Ros Wrote:
(07-02-2013, 10:38 AM)The Mug Wrote:

Yup, that's is exactly what was happening with Stalker modding community (for example) with all those Stalker engine updates. We were nearly blindly just looking through open scripts and thus understanding what was changed, which classes were cutted, which added, etc. It's, god damn, extremely boring work. And what was the most shitty is that LOTS of functions were hidden inside of engine .dll files. It's a pain in the ass to disassemble .dll's properly and find out what was changed. I really hope that situation won't happen here with AMFP. I really hope that the ability to make total conversions will be OK.

I don't even.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Paddy™ - 07-02-2013

Here's a new and fairly meaty article on AAMFP:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/10456-Youre-at-the-Heart-of-A-Machine-For-Pigs

I'll add the salient information to the Info Portal soon.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - blueberry - 07-02-2013

(07-02-2013, 10:08 PM)Paddy Wrote: Here's a new and fairly meaty article on AAMFP:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/10456-Youre-at-the-Heart-of-A-Machine-For-Pigs

I'll add the salient information to the Info Portal soon.

tl;dr Confused

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Paddy™ - 07-02-2013

Here are the sections which might be new/interesting to the regulars:

The Escapist Wrote:There were going to be changes to some of Amnesia's core mechanics. The problem that faced thechineseroom was, how was it to make a sequel to Dark Descent without just rehashing Dark Descent? Among other things, tinderboxes and oil are gone; there's no trace left of the survival element, in this horror title. Survival wasn't what Pinchbeck's team saw as the core element, the thing that made Amnesia so unique. "People were saying lack of tinderboxes wasn't a problem," Pinchbeck remembers, "because you wanted to be in the dark most of the time." They wanted to be immersed in the Amnesia kind of scary, and if resources weren't necessary to that core experience, then out thechineseroom threw them.

The Escapist Wrote:[On Mandus]

"He's an older character," Pinchbeck says, "much more influential and powerful, and he has a family." His family will become extremely important; Mandus isn't a loner, like Dark Descent's Daniel, and his relationship with his children will become key to understanding Mandus, and the horror that surrounds him. Your actions have ramifications and will affect other people, which will be critical in creating Machine for Pigs' scares. "I really believe that horror is horrifying because you empathise with the characters," Pinchbeck says, a fact that has all the greater significance when you consider that Pinchbeck, like Mandus, is a father. You may not agree with what Mandus has done, Pinchbeck thinks, but you can understand why he did it.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - fancreeper - 07-02-2013

(07-02-2013, 10:29 PM)Paddy Wrote: Here are the sections which might be new/interesting to the regulars:

The Escapist Wrote:There were going to be changes to some of Amnesia's core mechanics. The problem that faced thechineseroom was, how was it to make a sequel to Dark Descent without just rehashing Dark Descent? Among other things, tinderboxes and oil are gone; there's no trace left of the survival element, in this horror title. Survival wasn't what Pinchbeck's team saw as the core element, the thing that made Amnesia so unique. "People were saying lack of tinderboxes wasn't a problem," Pinchbeck remembers, "because you wanted to be in the dark most of the time." They wanted to be immersed in the Amnesia kind of scary, and if resources weren't necessary to that core experience, then out thechineseroom threw them.

The Escapist Wrote:[On Mandus]

"He's an older character," Pinchbeck says, "much more influential and powerful, and he has a family." His family will become extremely important; Mandus isn't a loner, like Dark Descent's Daniel, and his relationship with his children will become key to understanding Mandus, and the horror that surrounds him. Your actions have ramifications and will affect other people, which will be critical in creating Machine for Pigs' scares. "I really believe that horror is horrifying because you empathise with the characters," Pinchbeck says, a fact that has all the greater significance when you consider that Pinchbeck, like Mandus, is a father. You may not agree with what Mandus has done, Pinchbeck thinks, but you can understand why he did it.

No oil?Oh man ...I was hoping that hey would keep that..oh well,can't conplain now.Undecided

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - The Raining Brains - 07-02-2013

So what is the core element if not survival?

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - emaper - 07-02-2013

If there is no oil, how does the lantern to be lighted?

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - rky - 07-02-2013

Your tears fuel it.