Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-50.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-51.html)
+--- Thread: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 (/thread-21385.html)

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Ossie - 07-02-2013

(07-02-2013, 10:54 PM)rky Wrote: Your tears fuel it.

Not your tears, your BLOOD ............... Big Grin

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Ashtoreth - 07-02-2013

(07-02-2013, 10:48 PM)The Raining Brains Wrote: So what is the core element if not survival?

The horror... The horror... The horror...

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - GrAVit - 07-02-2013

So in the end, the game relies on the player getting somehow emotionally attached to Mandus and then the mere horror elements of the game.

Kind of a gamble, if you ask me.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - The Raining Brains - 07-02-2013

I can't honestly say I've ever felt any more horrified by horror through empathising with the characters. I'm both intrigued and a little skeptical.

(07-02-2013, 11:27 PM)Ashtoreth Wrote: The horror... The horror... The horror...

Well I think that goes without saying. Maybe I misread. I thought survival was a significant part of horror. You know...that's why they call it a "survival horror" game.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Gilligan's Hell - 07-02-2013

(07-02-2013, 10:52 PM)emaper Wrote:
The Escapist Wrote:There were going to be changes to some of Amnesia's core mechanics. The problem that faced thechineseroom was, how was it to make a sequel to Dark Descent without just rehashing Dark Descent? Among other things, tinderboxes and oil are gone; there's no trace left of the survival element, in this horror title. Survival wasn't what Pinchbeck's team saw as the core element, the thing that made Amnesia so unique. "People were saying lack of tinderboxes wasn't a problem," Pinchbeck remembers, "because you wanted to be in the dark most of the time." They wanted to be immersed in the Amnesia kind of scary, and if resources weren't necessary to that core experience, then out thechineseroom threw them.

If there is no oil, how does the lantern to be lighted?

Kerosene?

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Zgroktar - 07-03-2013

I think the lantern is a pretty minor element, but still I am pretty sure that every lantern can operate several hours without need for replenishing it every 10 minutes or so. Dodgy
All in all, I'm so glad that they removed the tinderboxes and oil, they were at times annoying and so out of place.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - GrAVit - 07-03-2013

I'm guessing the lantern, or actually, flashlight, will be operated by electricity that can be replenished over time (by unknown means) or at certain checkpoints. Or yeah, I guess it might be a regular oil operated one. In any case, checkpoints or auto-refill.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - emaper - 07-03-2013

(07-03-2013, 12:13 AM)GrAVit Wrote: I'm guessing the lantern, or actually, flashlight, will be operated by electricity that can be replenished over time (by unknown means) or at certain checkpoints. Or yeah, I guess it might be a regular oil operated one. In any case, checkpoints or auto-refill.

It wouldn't be natural.
They removed tinderboxes? Ok... I totally agree.
But in the real life there are no checkpoints that can refill an empty lantern.
I think that they have revolutioned Amnesia a little too much!

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Paddy™ - 07-03-2013

I think when they say the "survival element" is gone they're talking more about traditional survival horror tropes like resources and resource management. You're still in mortal danger from enemies, you'll still have to "survive" in that sense. It seems like more of a semantic/labelling issue.

I agree with Zgroktar; I won't miss the tinderboxes and oil. I found them to be little more than busywork, to be honest.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Zgroktar - 07-03-2013

(07-03-2013, 12:13 AM)GrAVit Wrote: I'm guessing the lantern, or actually, flashlight, will be operated by electricity that can be replenished over time (by unknown means) or at certain checkpoints. Or yeah, I guess it might be a regular oil operated one. In any case, checkpoints or auto-refill.

I think that the lantern won't be replenished at all, it all happens so to speak in real time, and I assume the game will last for about 5-6 hours, any lantern could work at that short time span, look at it this way.