Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-50.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-51.html)
+--- Thread: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 (/thread-21385.html)

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - maarten12100 - 07-17-2013

(07-17-2013, 03:14 AM)Boogaloo Wrote: Why does this always turn into an argument about Pewdiepie? He's a gamer just like the rest of us. He just does it differently. Lets all just play how we want to play. Smile

(Though, if I had to pick a favorite "lets player" it would be Markiplier, just saying)
Mostly because the people here hate people that are not real.
To quote Justine on it: "He puts up an impressive front, but it is all an act I assure you."
I share that vision

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Macgyverthehero - 07-17-2013

(07-17-2013, 03:14 AM)Boogaloo Wrote: Why does this always turn into an argument about Pewdiepie? He's a gamer just like the rest of us. He just does it differently. Lets all just play how we want to play. Smile

(Though, if I had to pick a favorite "lets player" it would be Markiplier, just saying)

Agreed.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Major H4rd0n - 07-17-2013

(07-17-2013, 03:25 AM)maarten12100 Wrote:

Mostly because the people here hate people that are not real.
To quote Justine on it: "He puts up an impressive front, but it is all an act I assure you."
I share that vision

wtf? That includes Instagram, facebook and anyone with an avatar in general. Big Grin

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Statyk - 07-17-2013

Really? I thought we were all over this whole PewDiePie debate. For crying out loud, can we leave the opinions out of this forum in general?

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - emaper - 07-17-2013

Stop talkin about PewDiePie, and let's back on topic!

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - TwiK999 - 07-17-2013

^ Hear hear.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Pablodius - 07-17-2013

Yo, new to this forum, just a massive Amensia fan who has decided to pass the time waiting for A:AMFP by obsessively thinking up theories on that the storyline will be about. It's really interesting to read through all your ideas about what might feature in the game. Is the titular 'Machine' literally a machine, or is it a metaphor? Did Mandus' kids/family die in Mexico, or are they the kids we see walking around in the trailer?

Anyway, thought I would throw in my thoughts. I reckon somebody close to Mandus died in Mexico; it's hard to think what other 'disaster' could affect him on such a personal level. Either one child, more than one (I have no idea how many he has/had), maybe his wife and kids. Even so; the loss of a family member driving you to create some machine to bring them back to life which feeds on humans? Seems like a longshot, unless Mandus had some kind of pre-existing mental condition and the loss of his family pushed him over the edge.

Makes me think maybe Mandus even caused the death of his family. Perhaps some supernatural force - think the Shadow in the original Amnesia - possessed him, or heck, just a result of irresponsible action/negligence on his behalf. So, wracked with Guilt, Mandus comes back to England with the idea of making a huge machine which consumes pigs to somehow bring his family back to life. Somebody on this forum mentioned the whole concept of 'vitae' - some vital essence that can be extracted from the living to bring back the dead. Perhaps this is the crux of how the machine works.

There's not enough pigs to feed the machine - or maybe their vitae isn't powerful enough - and in his desperation, Mandus starts feeding humans to the machine (we've all heard the quote from Mandus on this subject). Maybe these are adults - or maybe children. Something about that is even more disturbing, and I expect the disappearance of street urchins in industrial London would probably have been a regular occurence. Less questions asked about orphans or homeless kids than adults...

That gives us a potential premise for the game, but doesn't really shed any light on what the actual gameplay itself will focus on. Imagine the machine did work, but not as Mandus expected. His family did come back to life, but are not fully human - the vitae of the pigs and humans combined has turned them in to some kind of half-human, half-swine abomination. The central plot of the game could be Mandus realising what a terrible mistake he has made, trying to kill his family again so they can rest in peace. The reason I like this idea is that there could be a limited number of distinct enemies that we feel some connection to - not just faceless/nameless hordes that mean nothing to us. Think Justine, instead of The Dark Descent.

All of this is just wild speculation and I am probably way off the mark, but I'm interested to see you guys pick apart my theories and submit your own.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Sampyli - 07-17-2013

(07-17-2013, 11:33 AM)Pablodius Wrote: Yo, new to this forum, just a massive Amensia fan who has decided to pass the time waiting for A:AMFP by obsessively thinking up theories on that the storyline will be about. It's really interesting to read through all your ideas about what might feature in the game. Is the titular 'Machine' literally a machine, or is it a metaphor? Did Mandus' kids/family die in Mexico, or are they the kids we see walking around in the trailer?

Anyway, thought I would throw in my thoughts. I reckon somebody close to Mandus died in Mexico; it's hard to think what other 'disaster' could affect him on such a personal level. Either one child, more than one (I have no idea how many he has/had), maybe his wife and kids. Even so; the loss of a family member driving you to create some machine to bring them back to life which feeds on humans? Seems like a longshot, unless Mandus had some kind of pre-existing mental condition and the loss of his family pushed him over the edge.

Makes me think maybe Mandus even caused the death of his family. Perhaps some supernatural force - think the Shadow in the original Amnesia - possessed him, or heck, just a result of irresponsible action/negligence on his behalf. So, wracked with Guilt, Mandus comes back to England with the idea of making a huge machine which consumes pigs to somehow bring his family back to life. Somebody on this forum mentioned the whole concept of 'vitae' - some vital essence that can be extracted from the living to bring back the dead. Perhaps this is the crux of how the machine works.

There's not enough pigs to feed the machine - or maybe their vitae isn't powerful enough - and in his desperation, Mandus starts feeding humans to the machine (we've all heard the quote from Mandus on this subject). Maybe these are adults - or maybe children. Something about that is even more disturbing, and I expect the disappearance of street urchins in industrial London would probably have been a regular occurence. Less questions asked about orphans or homeless kids than adults...

That gives us a potential premise for the game, but doesn't really shed any light on what the actual gameplay itself will focus on. Imagine the machine did work, but not as Mandus expected. His family did come back to life, but are not fully human - the vitae of the pigs and humans combined has turned them in to some kind of half-human, half-swine abomination. The central plot of the game could be Mandus realising what a terrible mistake he has made, trying to kill his family again so they can rest in peace. The reason I like this idea is that there could be a limited number of distinct enemies that we feel some connection to - not just faceless/nameless hordes that mean nothing to us. Think Justine, instead of The Dark Descent.

All of this is just wild speculation and I am probably way off the mark, but I'm interested to see you guys pick apart my theories and submit your own.

Damn dude, I love it! All that would fit perfectly Tongue
Now that you mentioned it, I got the idea that maybe the little boy in the teaser is someone who died because of Mandus, and he is having hallucinations, etc.

Also, 'the machine coughs, roars into life'; now what could that mean if it was metaphoric?

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - PutraenusAlivius - 07-17-2013

(07-17-2013, 11:33 AM)Pablodius Wrote: Yo, new to this forum, just a massive Amensia fan who has decided to pass the time waiting for A:AMFP by obsessively thinking up theories on that the storyline will be about. It's really interesting to read through all your ideas about what might feature in the game. Is the titular 'Machine' literally a machine, or is it a metaphor? Did Mandus' kids/family die in Mexico, or are they the kids we see walking around in the trailer?

Hey man I hope you enjoyed it here. Now that, is a NICE FUCKING theory!

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Pablodius - 07-17-2013

(07-17-2013, 11:56 AM)Sampyli Wrote: Damn dude, I love it! All that would fit perfectly Tongue
Now that you mentioned it, I got the idea that maybe the little boy in the teaser is someone who died because of Mandus, and he is having hallucinations, etc.

Also, 'the machine coughs, roars into life'; now what could that mean if it was metaphoric?

Whoa yes something else just came to me. Think about what we know so far from the previous amnesia games - Daniel, Justine: each time, the protagonist had administered the amnesia drug to themselves for some specific purpose.

Mandus wakes up, and hears the machine coughing and roaring in to life - it seems like he has timed this perfectly. What is it that he needs to accomplish that a) requires the machine to have begun working and b) requires him to have lost all recollection of making the machine in the first place?

Could it be that he knows he needs to destroy his re-incarnated family, and knows he wouldn't be able to bring himself to do this if he knew who they really were?

As you may have guessed, I personally don't think the machine itself is a metaphor (at least, not solely a metaphor). Consider the quote from the end of second trailer:
"There are surely not enough pigs in the whole of London to feed the appetite of such a machine."
"That all rather depends, professor, on what one considers to be a pig."

Here it sounds like Mandus is referring to something very specific, not just a vague allegory.