Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-50.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-51.html)
+--- Thread: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 (/thread-21385.html)

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Bridge - 08-11-2013

(08-11-2013, 09:26 PM)bluel0bster Wrote: I really hope people's opinions on jack the ripper are wrong... I as long as we've been theorizing about the plot of this game, I can't imagine the devs would make it revolve around something as shallow as a serial killer.

Shallow?

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Plectrum61 - 08-11-2013

I am sure Jack the Ripper doesn't have anything to do with the story of AMFP but I think there is a chance we see something related to him but only as an easteregg. Like an old newspaper which is about another victim of the Ripper but it may also be something like the streets that are shown on the pictures. But we'll only find out if we play the game ourselves and that might be soon. Smile

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Magnum66 - 08-11-2013

(08-11-2013, 08:24 PM)maarten12100 Wrote:
(08-11-2013, 08:17 PM)droog Wrote:
(08-11-2013, 07:57 PM)Kotch Wrote: I just had a thought about the story. What if the monsters in the game are killing people and everyone thinks it is Jack the Ripper? He was never identified so people just thought it was a guy but it was actually the monsters. Just a thought

Hmm.. the ripper only killed whores and that in the year 1888. AMFP is set in the year 1899. Don't know if they will take the events so accurate, but I think it will play a underling role in the game.
inb4 bestiality.

(08-11-2013, 07:42 PM)Geoff Wrote:
(08-11-2013, 05:55 PM)maarten12100 Wrote:
(08-11-2013, 05:24 PM)Magnum66 Wrote:
(08-11-2013, 02:12 PM)Rederkki Wrote: You play as Oswald?...

Since hearing about other NPC's in the game, I honestly hoped this wasn't true. I pray we don't have other people in the game we're talking to and interacting with. It would COMPLETELY take away the feeling of being alone and stranded, desperate without nothing but you and your own mind in the darkness. I would be 90% less scared if I had people around me the whole time, it's a huge mistake. Now if it's just us running into someone every so often, like the little kid you see running through a hall in one of the teasers, trying to get away from you. Or mysteriously showing up every so often even, I think that would be kind of creepy and cool.
How so?
We had Red to talk to us in Overture
We had the lovely redhead doctores in Black Plague
We had dr Emenis talking to us in Requim
We had Agripa talk to us but the game was called amnesia so we also had Daniel himself and Alexander talking to us.

It wouldn't be anything strange

I think he meant more along the lines of someone who just stood in one area who you could constantly talk to in the game.
I concur that would suck

Yeah that's pretty much what I meant. Besides I haven't played the Penumbra games (yet) own all 3 and going to actually start the first one soon, maybe tonight. Smile

But even with Amnesia I had a problem with Agrippa. At least he isn't a human NPC and even then it made that part of the game a lot less scary. You kind of knew with someone there the whole time asking for your help and talking you wouldn't really be attacked by any grunts or the shadow there. It was a sense of security really, and that in Amnesia sucks. You want to be always scared and on edge, and in ATDD with Agrippa I knew I was safe every time I was around him. It felt like it made the game less intense near the end and I was just going around for Agrippa until I finally met Alexander. Not that I hated that part of the game, I still liked it. Smile I just like it better being all alone and scared shitless in Amnesia. Big Grin

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Paddy™ - 08-11-2013

My take on it is the same as Plectrum61's in that the Ripper won't be a character in the game or a major plot point, but may be used as "background dressing" for the story and the setting. Whatever the case may be he'll definitely get a mention at the very least:
  • Hanbury Street and Buck's Row are referenced in screenshots. These were two places in which victims of the Ripper were killed/found and are proximate with the infamous Whitechapel. You can check it out on Google Maps (note that Buck's Row is now called Durward Street) or you can click this awesome image I made.
  • The game is set in 1899; the ripper was active in 1888. If the game takes place in the same streets the Ripper frequented so soon after the murders it seems likely to me he'll be referenced in some way.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Bridge - 08-11-2013

But isn't it also possible that it's simply a cute reference? I don't see any reason to directly reference him, and even if they do mention him it will be so inconsequential that we have no reason to be talking about it.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - NanaPharcyde - 08-11-2013

I don't think the Ripper stuff will be a major point, but I reckon it turns out that
Spoiler below!
YOU had something to do with the murders, either planning and ordering them or committing them yourself.
The whole game is probably
Spoiler below!
the consequences of Oswald's decent into madness after trying desperately to bring his dead family member(s) back to life by harvesting vitae on an industrial level.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - bluel0bster - 08-12-2013

(08-11-2013, 09:47 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(08-11-2013, 09:26 PM)bluel0bster Wrote: I really hope people's opinions on jack the ripper are wrong... I as long as we've been theorizing about the plot of this game, I can't imagine the devs would make it revolve around something as shallow as a serial killer.

Shallow?

I'm sorry, how's that not clear? I meant in comparison to deeper, more philosophical, more interesting theories about a plot revolving around the allegory of worthless mankind as "pigs," jack the ripper seems a little lame. The story was one of (if not the single most) favorite aspect of TDD, and Dear Esther. The jack the ripper story isn't exactly an engaging, thought-provoking, meaningful story. In other words, it's shallow. If there's anything more than a subtle reference to him I'd be disappointed.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Kreekakon - 08-12-2013

(08-12-2013, 01:32 AM)bluel0bster Wrote: I'm sorry, how's that not clear? I meant in comparison to deeper, more philosophical, more interesting theories about a plot revolving around the allegory of worthless mankind as "pigs," jack the ripper seems a little lame. The story was one of (if not the single most) favorite aspect of TDD, and Dear Esther. The jack the ripper story isn't exactly an engaging, thought-provoking, meaningful story. In other words, it's shallow. If there's anything more than a subtle reference to him I'd be disappointed.

How is it that a serial killer's story/involvement can't can't all of that goodness intertwined into its stories?

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - LordGubGub - 08-12-2013

I honestly don't think this would happen, but it would be kind of cool if during one part of the game Jack the Ripper was an enemy lurking around, and you had to try to avoid him. I think it could be scary if done well, but again I definitely can't see that actually happening. Just an interesting thought.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Thief1337 - 08-12-2013

Frictional Games and thechineseroom are all about creativity and standing out as being unique. The last thing they'd do is implement Jack the Ripoff in their game (yeh, pun intended). Dan Pinchbeck mentions "Jack the Ripper" as a symbol, an influence. I don't know why some people discuss about his implementation into the game.

Otherwise, let's talk about implementing a zombie Michael Jackson doing the thriller dance as an enemy instead.