Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-50.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-51.html)
+--- Thread: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 (/thread-21385.html)

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - Nice - 05-04-2013

(05-04-2013, 12:51 AM)Bridge Wrote: Latin. It's been extinct for quite a while but throughout history it has been sort of the unofficial language of the academia I guess. At least in the middle ages and Renaissance, knowing Latin brought you mad street cred.

and Church Smile

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - Bridge - 05-04-2013

(05-04-2013, 12:52 AM)Dogfood Wrote:
(05-04-2013, 12:51 AM)Bridge Wrote: Latin. It's been extinct for quite a while but throughout history it has been sort of the unofficial language of the academia I guess. At least in the middle ages and Renaissance, knowing Latin brought you mad street cred.

and Church Smile

And the Roman Empire, obviously. Although I can't imagine it being considered cool then since (presumably) every pleb in the civilized world spoke it. Honestly, I'm glad it isn't around anymore - it's a freaking nightmare.

EDIT: Do they still use Latin to any large extent in the Vatican? I'd think they'd just use Italian, but I'm not sure.

For texts and such, I mean. Obviously they cannot speak it.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - Paddy™ - 05-04-2013

(05-04-2013, 12:21 AM)Scraper Wrote: I think I should stop merging threads. I also failed last time miserably.
ROFLMAO!! Big Grin

I was a mod on another forum and did the same thing, but before I realised my mistake I accidentally deleted the larger thread instead of the one-post thread I had tried to merge. In my defence I'd had a long caffeine-laden night of deleting spammers Angel

(05-04-2013, 12:58 AM)Paddy Wrote:
(05-04-2013, 12:21 AM)Scraper Wrote: I think I should stop merging threads. I also failed last time miserably.
ROFLMAO!! Big Grin

I was a mod on another forum and did the same thing, but before I realised my mistake I accidentally deleted the larger thread instead of the one-post thread I had tried to merge. In my defence I'd had a long caffeine-laden night of deleting spammers Angel

Aren't there usually backups?

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - Paddy™ - 05-04-2013

Not on the piece-of-shit forum I was moderating.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - plutomaniac - 05-04-2013

ROFLMAO!! Big Grin

Fixed link at Part 1. I say one month ban to Scraper for that...Idea

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - bluel0bster - 05-04-2013

and Church Smile

not really any church except for the Catholic church, and even then it's only chanted in mass, etc.

(05-04-2013, 12:55 AM)Bridge Wrote:

and Church Smile

And the Roman Empire, obviously. Although I can't imagine it being considered cool then since (presumably) every pleb in the civilized world spoke it. Honestly, I'm glad it isn't around anymore - it's a freaking nightmare.

EDIT: Do they still use Latin to any large extent in the Vatican? I'd think they'd just use Italian, but I'm not sure.

Yah I've been to the Vatican, it's still the official language, but there's no real way of knowing whether or not they actually speak it on a normal basis or just Italian.

(05-04-2013, 02:09 AM)bluel0bster Wrote:

and Church Smile

not really any church except for the Catholic church, and even then it's only chanted in mass, etc.

(05-04-2013, 12:55 AM)Bridge Wrote:

and Church Smile

Yah I've been to the Vatican, it's still the official language, but there's no real way of knowing whether or not they actually speak it on a normal basis or just Italian.

As I said, they cannot speak it, it's extinct. You can say stuff like: "Let us go to the Colosseum" or "May Jupiter bless you with a thousand victories", but there is too much of a gap in the vocabulary for it to be an effective means of communication.

How was VC btw? It's pretty damn small isn't it?

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - bluel0bster - 05-04-2013

(05-04-2013, 02:34 AM)Bridge Wrote: As I said, they cannot speak it, it's extinct. You can say stuff like: "Let us go to the Colosseum" or "May Jupiter bless you with a thousand victories", but there is too much of a gap in the vocabulary for it to be an effective means of communication.

How was VC btw? It's pretty damn small isn't it?

Latin is very speakable... I've taken it for years and used to be able to speak a fair amount of it. We have a large number of entire texts written in Latin. There's an entire subject dedicated to it, "Conversational Latin."

Of course, to modernize it scholars have had to invent some words, for stuff like "car" etc., but it's based off other root words following patterns the Romans implemented.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - Sarcophagus - 05-04-2013

GAME, GAME WHERE ARE YOU??

i am listening to some death while making some crazy shit incantations right here