Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-50.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-51.html)
+--- Thread: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 (/thread-21385.html)

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - Ossie - 05-04-2013

Bearing in mind that in the Q&A a few days ago Dan said that he had originally wanted to make AAMFP with NO ABILITY TO SAVE WHATSOEVER (he confirmed that you can now save), I've just noticed this vaguely interesting little recent tweet from Dan about saving your game progress -

https://twitter.com/danpinchbeck/status/330084191662383104

So, it's not clear (to us) whether it will be possible to save wherever you like in the game or only at designated checkpoints. Unless of course Dan has some other sadistically cunning save game option up his devious sleeves. Smile

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - Googolplex - 05-04-2013

Oh, I already talked about this.
I prefer saving ANYWHERE!

Checkpoints will not make more feeling of danger or death consequences, it's just frustrating. I generally hate checkpoints, because in most games they were too rare. In other games, I lost advance of 2 hours just because I did not reach the next checkpoint, that's annoying!

Or in Dear Eshter, when I have to walk the long way again just because the game saves in every new area.

If checkpoints, I would prefer like in Penumbra, where you can save using the artifacts. But there should be a lot of them to break not the flow when losing all your advance. Therefore I prefer a menu option to save where ever you are.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - maarten12100 - 05-04-2013

Penumbra autosaves so there was no reason to bother as it saves every chamber and hub

I'd simply prefer to be able to save anywhere - having checkpoints just adds frustration and BREAKS the immersion.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - MyRedNeptune - 05-04-2013

(05-04-2013, 10:03 AM)Ossie Wrote: Bearing in mind that in the Q&A a few days ago Dan said that he had originally wanted to make AAMFP with NO ABILITY TO SAVE WHATSOEVER (he confirmed that you can now save)

Wonder what FG thought about that. Last time I checked, this directly conflicted with their philosophy. Smile

I would assume that it was Frictional's policy which meant that the ability to save (somehow!) was incorporated. Smile

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - Crafted - 05-04-2013

...still waiting for the game... Sleepy

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - fancreeper - 05-04-2013

I think we now ofically ran out out of topics to discuss about. I can't wait anymore!!!!arghn

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - Bridge - 05-04-2013

(05-04-2013, 02:56 AM)bluel0bster Wrote:
(05-04-2013, 02:34 AM)Bridge Wrote: As I said, they cannot speak it, it's extinct. You can say stuff like: "Let us go to the Colosseum" or "May Jupiter bless you with a thousand victories", but there is too much of a gap in the vocabulary for it to be an effective means of communication.

How was VC btw? It's pretty damn small isn't it?

Latin is very speakable... I've taken it for years and used to be able to speak a fair amount of it. We have a large number of entire texts written in Latin. There's an entire subject dedicated to it, "Conversational Latin."

Of course, to modernize it scholars have had to invent some words, for stuff like "car" etc., but it's based off other root words following patterns the Romans implemented.

News to me. Didn't think they would bother. Apologies for assuming.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - emaper - 05-04-2013

Checkpoints? Like a Call of Duty game?
I hope they will mantain the same "saving system" of TDD.. It was pretty good to me.
Hate the idea of having checkpoint.. as Ossie said: "having checkpoints just adds frustration and breaks down the immersion."