Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-50.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-51.html)
+--- Thread: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 2 (/thread-21385.html)

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - Hardarm - 05-07-2013

(05-07-2013, 02:30 PM)Paddy Wrote:
(05-07-2013, 01:11 PM)TheBik Wrote: Thrupenny sixpence sparrows and doves
Honestly, given the context, I have no idea what this line is supposed to mean.

This is what I felt, too. It seems a strange line unless it's something cryptic.

A thing to note:
The number of all images there's been in this poem/image thingie have been named with img0x_[strangecode]

We could find out another code with those?

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - bluel0bster - 05-07-2013

(05-07-2013, 01:11 PM)TheBik Wrote: So since I'm a major dork and I love overanalyzing the crap out of poetry, I figured I might as well do a quick line-by-line analysis of the new message on AMFP's website.
Thrupenny sixpence sparrows and doves
Honestly, given the context, I have no idea what this line is supposed to mean. But looking at some of the symbolism associated with sparrows, they're often seen as vigilant workers and they speak of "higher thoughts and ideals". Interesting food for thought, I guess. Doves, on the other hand, can occasionally be seen as symbols for sacrifice. Huh. I really have no idea if that means anything, though.
See all the angels a-weeping above
Biblically speaking, angels aren't supposed to really cry. My personal opinion would be that they would only cry over the loss of innocence, or for those lost souls who turn away from God or something.
There's no more forgiving, there's no-one to save
This is the line that struck me the most, especially with that "no more forgiving" part. Given that the next line describes a death, I'm thinking that there's a lot of hatred and blame towards someone considered responsible for said death. With that in mind, the part "there's no-one to save" may actually take on a meaning like "there's no-one to spare". Perhaps that's how the philosophy that the world is a machine fit only for the slaughtering of pigs came about.
For today darling Lily goes into her grave
This line is pretty obvious in its meaning.

So given all that, my personal theory is that Lily could be Oswald's daughter, and the girl we hear speaking at the beginning and end of the Halloween trailer. Somehow or another she dies (something alluded to in the last poem), and this death is a catalyst for the events of the rest of the story. Mandus probably responds with anger, given the third line, and begins to persecute the people he holds responsible, the "pigs". This is the theory I've held for a while, but this new poem pretty much confirmed it.
Sorry for my massive wall of text. I'll go retreat to my little corner now.

Interesting... I thought Lily would be Oswald's wife/person-with-whom-he-fathered-the-children. Didn't make sense to me that the poem would single out one of the two children, who have gotten equal treatment so far.

Also, about the doves, they can be religiously symbolical of rebirth.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - Bridge - 05-07-2013

They can be symbolic of anything. There is no reason to think that TCR would use obvious Romantic symbolism in this poem, especially given the setting. Have you guys considered that the first line may be purely phonetic? It has a poetic ring to it that sets the mood for the rest of the piece. Kind of like "Roses are red, violets are blue", though not as elementary.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - TerrorLantern - 05-07-2013

(05-06-2013, 10:24 PM)Kotch Wrote: I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they decided to delay it til Halloween. I don't think it's actually going to happen, but I see it as a possibility.

THS IS WHAT IM SAYING!!!
i have a gut feeling it will happen.. i don't want it to mainly because there are alot of things i need to buy at that time. xbox/ps4 (still deciding), as well as the new pokemon... yea i play it... so what? dam this is gonna be an expensive halloween

(05-07-2013, 12:09 AM)Spaceman Wrote: Twitter discussion for everyones knowledge:

Quote:@Reyd_Tterrag: @danpinchbeck we know that the release date for AAMFP is up to FG, but can't you PERSUADE them to give us one?

@danpinchbeck: @Reyd_Tterrag Nope. The reason you aren't getting one is that it's too early to know it'll stick . As soon as that happens, you'll know...

Looks like they're further behind than we thought.

Halloween... just sayin

(05-07-2013, 07:52 AM)felixmole Wrote: Personally I'm not looking forward to the end of Q2 any more. Actually, Halloween 2013 seems likely to me Big Grin

yes! its gonna happen... straight up.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - Damascus Rose - 05-07-2013

was there a hidden message in the previous poems?

(05-07-2013, 01:11 PM)TheBik Wrote: So since I'm a major dork and I love overanalyzing the crap out of poetry, I figured I might as well do a quick line-by-line analysis of the new message on AMFP's website.
Thrupenny sixpence sparrows and doves
Honestly, given the context, I have no idea what this line is supposed to mean. But looking at some of the symbolism associated with sparrows, they're often seen as vigilant workers and they speak of "higher thoughts and ideals". Interesting food for thought, I guess. Doves, on the other hand, can occasionally be seen as symbols for sacrifice. Huh. I really have no idea if that means anything, though.
See all the angels a-weeping above
Biblically speaking, angels aren't supposed to really cry. My personal opinion would be that they would only cry over the loss of innocence, or for those lost souls who turn away from God or something.
There's no more forgiving, there's no-one to save
This is the line that struck me the most, especially with that "no more forgiving" part. Given that the next line describes a death, I'm thinking that there's a lot of hatred and blame towards someone considered responsible for said death. With that in mind, the part "there's no-one to save" may actually take on a meaning like "there's no-one to spare". Perhaps that's how the philosophy that the world is a machine fit only for the slaughtering of pigs came about.
For today darling Lily goes into her grave
This line is pretty obvious in its meaning.

So given all that, my personal theory is that Lily could be Oswald's daughter, and the girl we hear speaking at the beginning and end of the Halloween trailer. Somehow or another she dies (something alluded to in the last poem), and this death is a catalyst for the events of the rest of the story. Mandus probably responds with anger, given the third line, and begins to persecute the people he holds responsible, the "pigs". This is the theory I've held for a while, but this new poem pretty much confirmed it.
Sorry for my massive wall of text. I'll go retreat to my little corner now.

i like the idea. and thanks for your analysis. tho it may not be true its still interesting to read

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - Paddy™ - 05-07-2013

The original announcement for the game was a hidden message which required us to use our anagrammatic skills to figure out "A machine for pigs coming fall two thousand twelve". The game wasn't officially announced in the media until the members of the forum had figured it out first.

(05-07-2013, 04:57 PM)Paddy Wrote: The original announcement for the game was a hidden message which required us to use our anagrammatic skills to figure out "A machine for pigs coming fall two thousand twelve". The game wasn't officially announced in the media until the members of the forum had figured it out first.

Halloween

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - The Raining Brains - 05-07-2013

Enough with the Halloween thing already. Don't encourage them.

RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Part 2 - Mehis - 05-07-2013

Never forget.

Oh god... I still remember those Google Street View pictures...