Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Music Discussion thread - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Music Discussion thread (/thread-21928.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Music Discussion thread - Ghieri - 07-13-2013

(07-13-2013, 09:43 PM)Chronofluff Wrote:
(07-13-2013, 09:27 AM)failedALIAS Wrote: I basically like any Voltaire song.
But do you like Voltaire?

I want his hat.

RE: Music Discussion thread - Kman - 07-15-2013

harsh noise wall is simultaneously a hilarious and very very terrifying genre

i seriously feel like these guys just opened a portal to hell and recorded what came out lol

RE: Music Discussion thread - failedALIAS - 07-16-2013

And yet, people will argue that they're STILL better than Skrillex.

RE: Music Discussion thread - Froge - 07-16-2013

Attention: Bridge

So I've been relistening to the Beethoven sonatas lately and I can say that I've reconsidered my opinion of them. I've become especially fond of the third movement of "Tempest," which rings with a fury that I find profoundly beautiful.

Not sure what it is with Beethoven, but I find the third movement to be the best in most of his sonatas, especially Moonlight. The only exception is the Pathetique, in which I prefer the first and second.

RE: Music Discussion thread - Bridge - 07-16-2013

(07-16-2013, 06:31 PM)Chronofluff Wrote: Attention: Bridge

So I've been relistening to the Beethoven sonatas lately and I can say that I've reconsidered my opinion of them. I've become especially fond of the third movement of "Tempest," which rings with a fury that I find profoundly beautiful.

Not sure what it is with Beethoven, but I find the third movement to be the best in most of his sonatas, especially Moonlight. The only exception is the Pathetique, in which I prefer the first and second.

I'm glad to hear it. Beethoven has been praised by many musicologists (allegedly, and one or two who I've confirmed) for his profound understanding of pacing, for lack of a better word, in music. His ideas are so perfectly contrasted in the overall scheme of the structure and order of movements which really puts Beethoven ahead of a lot of his contemporaries, IMO.

RE: Music Discussion thread - Froge - 07-17-2013

(07-16-2013, 12:32 AM)Chronofluff Wrote:
(07-16-2013, 12:18 AM)Kman Wrote: dude that song rules what you on about

<grindcore>

i was actually just jamming this in the car this morning it was intense
All I hear is harsh throat-crushing screaming.

RE: Music Discussion thread - Kman - 07-17-2013

wellll

one of the things that makes grindcore a lot harder to appreciate compared to other genres of heavy music is that it's essentially a wall of noise and unless you actually give it a chance and listen to the details of it it can be kind of repetitive. like being able to identify the intricacies of blast beats or the technique of the vocalist or each time signature and how it evolves. it's those details that make it interesting and unless you actually pay attention and train your ear to be able to pick up on them it really does just sound like a massive never ending wall of noise.

like for example with the one you linked

there's a ton going on here and unless you actually pay attention to the details instead of just letting it wash over you there's not a whole lot that's very impressive about it. for one the vocalist has one of the highest pitched yells in all of heavy music (note: yell. it wouldn't be nearly as impressive if it was just a scream since you're projecting from the top of your throat, but with a yell you're projecting from much lower giving it a throatier and deep texture, and the fact that he can still push his vocal chords that high when he's projecting from that low is insane). hardly ever through it do they play a steady time signature for more than like 10 or 15 seconds or keep the same blast beat or riff, there's a ton of technicality put into making something like that. the production on it is perfect too since it's very dense and raw giving it even more of an aggressive feel.

a lot of that's what sets it apart from other heavy genres since it's so unrelenting and inaccessible. the entire idea behind it according to the bands that founded the genre is just to make the most aggressive, most intense, and most disgusting form of music ever created, and if you're giving out that label it wouldn't be a bad genre to give it to. once you learn to appreciate the intricacies of it though it can be pretty interesting to pick apart and judge.

so yeah. there you go.

RE: Music Discussion thread - Sarcophagus - 07-17-2013

RE: Music Discussion thread - Kman - 07-21-2013

replying to this here cuz it was getting off topic
(07-21-2013, 04:27 AM)DavidS Wrote:
(07-21-2013, 02:58 AM)Kman Wrote: the heavy side of punk is literally 79020 times better than the heaviest side of metal anyways so i feel you

just start jamming hardcore and powerviolence and grindcore and skramz instead of death metal and black metal and thrash trust me on this

been there, done this. I`m still a fan of Pig Destroyer (heh...now that is somewhat fitting...lol) and Nasum. Some Madball here and there is nice to.

Black Metal is quite a difficult topic. I think the stuff from the early-mid 90s is still interesting to hear for its simplicity and often gritty or voluntarely bad recording habits.

I don`t even know what powerviolence and skramz is. Am I getting old or what?

you should check these guys out before you disregard grind as a whole cause they blow pretty much every other band in the genre out of the water
Spoiler below!
seriously though this is like top 20 albums ever

or if you're looking for something a little more unique these are always worth a shot
Spoiler below!

jazz infused grindcore with probably the most shrill scream of any band i've ever heard

psychedelic infused grindcore (clean vox too surprisingly but it works so w/e)

progressive grind with a ton of elements of other genres thrown in (including jazz and post hardcore and a bunch of other shit)

powerviolence is heavily influenced by grindcore but the songs are structured around the contrast between intensity and quiet (lots of start-stop sections in it) and is generally a lot more technically challenging to play. much more evil and brooding sounding rather than just smashing you with constant noise
Spoiler below!

a noteable example of this would be the contrast between the first 34 seconds of this vs the rest of it

these guys pretty much formed the genre and to this day are the best band in it

in this a good example of this contrast would be 0:45 - 1:10 vs the rest of the song

skramz is more properly known as screamo, but unfortunately that term got dragged through the mud by scenesters so now everyone thinks that screamo is shit like asking alexandria or pierce the veil, so people who know what the genre actually is just use that term around people who aren't aware of what it actually is. it's an off shoot of hardcore, but with a much more melancholic tone to it and much more shrill screams. it takes a good deal of influence from early powerviolence bands too as it generally also has a very prominent start-stop structure usually.
Spoiler below!

these guys were pretty much the band that invented the genre along with pg. 99 and saetia and are a pretty good example of the genre as a whole.

this is probably the most noteable band from the genre that's still around today. they take a much more technical approach to it (lots of odd time signatures and time signature changes) but still have the same super shrill desperate sounding screams with a sort of overall "sad" tone to their stuff

so yeah

now you have knowledge

(07-21-2013, 03:19 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Any good Punk Rock bands that anyone know? I can't stick with Titus Andronicus forever you know.
i could make you a very long list

RE: Music Discussion thread - Froge - 07-21-2013

GRIIIIIIIIIIIINDCOAR