Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Less Interactivity than before? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-50.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-51.html)
+--- Thread: Less Interactivity than before? (/thread-22675.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Less Interactivity than before? - RyuRanX - 09-01-2013

I just saw a few gameplay videos from Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs and I'm wondering why there're way less interactivity than their previous games. You can't seem to grab or open/close most of the objects around the house!

I noticed the same change from Penumbra to Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Why the change? Is it a design decision, budget constraint or what?

RE: Less Interactivity than before? - Geoff - 09-01-2013

It's interesting, truly. I wonder, what sort of objects can't be picked up that could be in TDD? Some objects were pointless anyway (oh hey a saw that I can throw around!).

RE: Less Interactivity than before? - Cuyir - 09-01-2013

Sort of agree with Geoff.

As long as I can play around with doors and slam them into my face while running away i'll be fine.

RE: Less Interactivity than before? - Paddy™ - 09-01-2013

(09-01-2013, 11:38 PM)Nuits Grace Wrote: As long as I can play around with doors and slam them into my face while running away ...

Hahaha oh man, if someone can make a mod which causes you to take a tiny bit of damage when that happens, or at least a comedy "thud" sound effect, Amnesia would be replayable for all eternity.

PDP mentioned in a tweet that most objects in the game aren't moveable because of the nature of the inventory-less puzzles.

RE: Less Interactivity than before? - Geoff - 09-01-2013

Since I've only played TDD and watched plenty of it, not having an inventory is going to be strange. I mean, when looking at the game at face value, there are many changes from TDD.

No oil/tinderboxes. No inventory. No sanity I believe?

Can't wait to play it though, see how it compares to TDD.

RE: Less Interactivity than before? - XDamienDaKillaX - 09-01-2013

I thought at first there was less interactivity in the beginning due to it being his house, and I'd doubt he would want to wreck his house. Also, I'm sure everywhere we go he has been, therefore maybe he remembers that fact and doesn't want to throw everything around... however I believe that is a good excuse to agree with the true reason, which is not having an inventory.

RE: Less Interactivity than before? - imgoneimdead - 09-02-2013

Maybe the whatever the point in the House is will just be part of the intro?

RE: Less Interactivity than before? - maarten12100 - 09-02-2013

(09-01-2013, 11:45 PM)Paddy Wrote:
(09-01-2013, 11:38 PM)Nuits Grace Wrote: As long as I can play around with doors and slam them into my face while running away ...
PDP mentioned in a tweet that most objects in the game aren't moveable because of the nature of the inventory-less puzzles.
That makes no sense since:
Without an inventory you should have more or the same freedom to take objects and move them around otherwise you would directly know what to do with a puzzle.

Penumbra though had a little bit too much since the handling was still a bit crooked.
Spoiler below!
(that part where you have to put boxes onto on another to get into that hole)

(09-01-2013, 11:59 PM)XDamienDaKillaX Wrote: I thought at first there was less interactivity in the beginning due to it being his house, and I'd doubt he would want to wreck his house. Also, I'm sure everywhere we go he has been, therefore maybe he remembers that fact and doesn't want to throw everything around... however I believe that is a good excuse to agree with the true reason, which is not having an inventory.

I pretty much wrecked his ship's cabin for Philips Angel

RE: Less Interactivity than before? - Potato - 09-02-2013

I kinda dislike the limited interactivity. That's one of my favorite things about TDD to be honest, even if the interactions with some objects were pointless, I really loved the showcase of physics and the interaction with the world. From the gameplay videos so far, it looks like you're walking through a museum where there's a 'no touching' policy, rather than your own mansion.

RE: Less Interactivity than before? - GrAVit - 09-02-2013

Is it just me or did TCR remove like a crapload of gameplay elements from the game? I really hope they've something good to come back with.