Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Disappointed with AAMFP - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-50.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-51.html)
+--- Thread: Disappointed with AAMFP (/thread-22831.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: Amnesia: AMFP is underwhelming (minor spoilers) - Cuyir - 09-14-2013

(09-14-2013, 12:15 AM)Dune Jumper Wrote: People hate AAMFP because it isn't an Amnesia game. The only thing remotely close to TDD is some of the textures & props. If it was standalone it probably would've gotten higher reviews. But they had to slap Amnesia's name onto it.
Dear Esther is a perfect example of this. If they called Dear Esther a Half-Life game there would've been a riot. But they didn't, so it got high reviews. (Although I don't think Dear Esther deserves the awards it got).

That didn't make any sense.

AMFP has an ''Amnesia"in front of "A Machine For Pigs" because it is SET in the same universe as TDD.

While Dear Esther used the ENGINE of Half Life.

Not the same things. At all. In any dimension or plane of existence.

RE: Amnesia: AMFP is underwhelming (minor spoilers) - Dune Jumper - 09-14-2013

(09-14-2013, 12:54 AM)Nuits Grace Wrote:
(09-14-2013, 12:15 AM)Dune Jumper Wrote: People hate AAMFP because it isn't an Amnesia game. The only thing remotely close to TDD is some of the textures & props. If it was standalone it probably would've gotten higher reviews. But they had to slap Amnesia's name onto it.
Dear Esther is a perfect example of this. If they called Dear Esther a Half-Life game there would've been a riot. But they didn't, so it got high reviews. (Although I don't think Dear Esther deserves the awards it got).

AMFP has an ''Amnesia"in front of "A Machine For Pigs" because it is SET in the same universe as TDD.

I don't think you understand what I was saying at all. it was a metaphor.

(09-14-2013, 01:42 AM)Dune Jumper Wrote:
(09-14-2013, 12:54 AM)Nuits Grace Wrote:

I don't think you understand what I was saying at all. it was a metaphor.

A terrible one that makes no sense, maybe.

You can argue till you're purple in the face, but AMFP is an ''Amnesia game'' because it's set in the same universe, with the same gameplay flow.

It's ''not as scary''? Well boo hoo, that doesn't mean it's ''not an Amnesia game''.

RE: Amnesia: AMFP is underwhelming (minor spoilers) - Mr. Plankton - 09-14-2013

The biggest problem for me is that TCR added absolutely nothing in terms of game-play aside from the lantern (which acts like a flashlight). And no, being more focused on the story does not justify removing interactivity from the world. If they wanted to focus more on the story they would've at least had VOs for Mandus' notes.

RE: Amnesia: AMFP is underwhelming (minor spoilers) - Alardem - 09-14-2013

(09-14-2013, 03:36 AM)Mr. Plankton Wrote: The biggest problem for me is that TCR added absolutely nothing in terms of game-play aside from the lantern (which acts like a flashlight). And no, being more focused on the story does not justify removing interactivity from the world. If they wanted to focus more on the story they would've at least had VOs for Mandus' notes.

One of Frictional's stated regrets was adding voice-overs to Daniel's diary. Guess that was one of the few changes that made it over to AMFP.

@Plankton

How does having voiceovers for notes equates to a focus on story?

Do you even know what ''focusing on story'' means?

Dearie me.

RE: Amnesia: AMFP is underwhelming (minor spoilers) - morgan99 - 09-14-2013

There is no inventory, no keys to pick up, no tinderboxes, no oil to gather. [Spam Removed] Why would you remove tinderboxes and oil? One thing that TDD made really good, was the fact that you were under constant pressure of finding these precious materials otherwise you would go insane from running around in the darkness, which brings up the next point.

RE: Not a sequel to TDD (no spoilers) - Diango12 - 09-14-2013

A:amfp was marketed as an Amnesia game. Sold as an Amensia game. Its nice that it wasn't mean to be an Amnesia game, but you can't sell apples to people and then flip you wig when customers get pissed off when they discover you actually sold them oranges.

I understand FG and TCR are relatively new to the major gaming market, but welcome to marketing responsibility folks. I wish art houses like TCR could make really cool and experimental experiences without the need to worry about pesky things like customers and brand identity. But you know what, they sold the game for a profit, people paid money for a promised product, they got something different as evidence from the mixed reviews and now its time to sit down and think about not how you want to make games in the future, but how you market them from now on.

Overall good job on the game A:amfp. It was a good game. Wasn't my cup of tea as I still consider the story to be shallow and pretentious. The scares were intellectually cheap in my opinion. Using ambiguity recklessly, and relying on shocking narrative just doesn't do it for me. But the atmosphere and sound assets where phenomenal. In terms of marketing, really poor job guys.

RE: Amnesia: AMFP is underwhelming (minor spoilers) - Tiger - 09-14-2013

(09-14-2013, 08:03 AM)morgan99 Wrote: There is no inventory, no keys to pick up, no tinderboxes, no oil to gather. [Spam Removed] Why would you remove tinderboxes and oil? One thing that TDD made really good, was the fact that you were under constant pressure of finding these precious materials otherwise you would go insane from running around in the darkness, which brings up the next point.

1. The lantern is electric
2. there are very few non-electrical lamps in amfp, so gathering tinderboxes would be useless.

RE: Amnesia: AMFP is underwhelming (minor spoilers) - cantremember - 09-14-2013

(09-14-2013, 09:01 AM)Tiger Wrote:
(09-14-2013, 08:03 AM)morgan99 Wrote: There is no inventory, no keys to pick up, no tinderboxes, no oil to gather. [Spam Removed] Why would you remove tinderboxes and oil? One thing that TDD made really good, was the fact that you were under constant pressure of finding these precious materials otherwise you would go insane from running around in the darkness, which brings up the next point.

1. The lantern is electric
2. there are very few non-electrical lamps in amfp, so gathering tinderboxes would be useless.

You're completely missing the point. They should've replaced things they removed with alternatives, or added some new interesting gameplay mechanics. The only things left is going through a linear map, solving extremely simple puzzles, hence, the gameplay is gone, it's only about the story. No exploring, no backtracking, no thinking, no managing lightsources. Just move on & read notes (which I might add are written in such small font they are unpleasant to read unless you play on low resolutions).