Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
FATAL ERROR: Couldn't read word file" - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-57.html)
+--- Forum: Technical Support - Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-52.html)
+--- Thread: FATAL ERROR: Couldn't read word file" (/thread-22926.html)

Pages: 1 2

FATAL ERROR: Couldn't read word file" - BladeTheEnd - 09-10-2013

Everytime I start the game I load up into the main menu just perfectly. I hit continue and then I get black screened and this pops up on my screen "FATAL ERROR: Could Not Read word file"". It loaded just fine for a few runs then I closed it to check something and now I can't get back in. While I was actually able to play the game went not responding during every loading screen forcing me to Ctrl+Alt+Del and then re-open it. I have tried verifying my cache and that didn't work. Please help. I have really enjoyed what little bit of the game I have played and I can't wait to get back in.

RE: FATAL ERROR: Couldn't read word file" - plutomaniac - 09-10-2013

After the problem occurs attach HPL.log file as mentioned at the troubleshooting guide, Problem X.

RE: FATAL ERROR: Couldn't read word file" - Carlnage - 09-11-2013

undefined

RE: FATAL ERROR: Couldn't read word file" - jens - 09-11-2013

Seems strange, it tries to load a zip file instead of a map file. Could be something to do with cloud sync not going as planned. Have you tried loading an earlier save (using the main menu)?

RE: FATAL ERROR: Couldn't read word file" - Carlnage - 09-11-2013

I have not been able to start the game, without the patch the game crashes on the first loading screen and with the patch i get that error message.

RE: FATAL ERROR: Couldn't read word file" - mownup - 09-19-2013

getting this error too. anyone figure out a solution?

RE: FATAL ERROR: Couldn't read word file" - nebej - 09-19-2013

A few thing you can try
- Turn off cloud sync in Steam. Right-click the game and select Properties -> Updates -> Enable Steam Cloud synchronization and untick it
- Press Load in the menu and select the save file you want instead of clicking continue
- Delete main_config.cfg from "C:\Users\X\Documents\Amnesia\Pig" and start the game using the launcher

(09-19-2013, 05:20 AM)nebej Wrote: A few thing you can try
- Turn off cloud sync in Steam. Right-click the game and select Properties -> Updates -> Enable Steam Cloud synchronization and untick it
- Press Load in the menu and select the save file you want instead of clicking continue
- Delete main_config.cfg from "C:\Users\X\Documents\Amnesia\Pig" and start the game using the launcher

Cheers but unfortunately none of these ideas worked. I've attached the hpl.log file.

RE: FATAL ERROR: Couldn't read word file" - nebej - 09-19-2013

It looks like your save file has been corrupted. Could you upload the file "C:\Users\dc2k08\Documents/Amnesia/Pig/dc2k13/AutoSave_Cellar_2013_9_19_2_5_58_0.sav" ?
If you zip it first it will be much smaller size.

(09-19-2013, 01:46 PM)nebej Wrote: It looks like your save file has been corrupted. Could you upload the file "C:\Users\dc2k08\Documents/Amnesia/Pig/dc2k13/AutoSave_Cellar_2013_9_19_2_5_58_0.sav" ?
If you zip it first it will be much smaller size.

Here you go.

cheers.