Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
[SPOILER] Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert* - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-50.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-51.html)
+--- Thread: [SPOILER] Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert* (/thread-22974.html)

RE: Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert* - Xenomorph - 09-13-2013

The two glowing objects at the end ARE Orbs. There was originally one Orb and it fractured, which also fractured the personality of Mandus. I initially thought that they were the children's hearts as well, but it makes a lot of sense that they are the orbs powering the machine.

My only question is why does the machine remove your heart? Do you do this intentionally, to free yourself and "cleanse" your misdeeds? Or does the machine (engineer/dark self) kill you?

Chemical X is just Vitae/Brennenburg serum with added touches. The machine itself was using this (and other things) to create the hybrids using pigs and humans as test subjects (as well as the creatures from decent)

RE: Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert* - LarryV - 09-13-2013

(09-13-2013, 03:02 AM)Xenomorph Wrote: The two glowing objects at the end ARE Orbs. There was originally one Orb and it fractured, which also fractured the personality of Mandus. I initially thought that they were the children's hearts as well, but it makes a lot of sense that they are the orbs powering the machine.

My only question is why does the machine remove your heart? Do you do this intentionally, to free yourself and "cleanse" your misdeeds? Or does the machine (engineer/dark self) kill you?
A reconnection off two halves to make a complete person.

Since, if we're going that Mandus split into two beings--the good and bad--- then we can say the machine has been fully rules by the bad. So connecting the good with it, it can become a more complex entity.

RE: Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert* - Kein - 09-13-2013

(09-13-2013, 02:29 AM)cryptoshadow Wrote: Interesting theory. Then, if those blue objects aren't hearts or Orbs (even fragments of a single one), what are they?

I don't know, seems like hearts indeed, according to level data. Either way I just provided 3 arguments why these aren't Orbs against not a single fact or argument that specified in that "wiki" (lel).

(09-13-2013, 02:34 AM)kojack Wrote: The temple map does contain a reference to orb_room.DAE and orb.ent (which uses orb.dae). Only one orb.ent is placed in the scene. I haven't actually seen them when playing, but they are in the map file.
There's also models for the orb in 6 stages of being shattered, but those aren't referenced in any of the maps or scripts. (Part of the unused alternate endings)
Yes, the map contains many references to the orb, because it was in original story and ending. Seems like they forgot to remove it, just like some voiceover files with unused monologues.

As for 6 pieces of orb - these entitles migrated from DD.

(09-13-2013, 03:02 AM)Xenomorph Wrote: The two glowing objects at the end ARE Orbs. There was originally one Orb and it fractured, which also fractured the personality of Mandus. I initially thought that they were the children's hearts as well, but it makes a lot of sense that they are the orbs powering the machine.

Chemical X is just Vitae/Brennenburg serum with added touches. The machine itself was using this (and other things) to create the hybrids using pigs and humans as test subjects (as well as the creatures from decent)
see
(09-13-2013, 02:34 AM)kojack Wrote:
Quote:Are we sure there aren't orbs in the temple at the end? Several people thought these were the twin's hearts but take a closer look at those pics (full size recommended if you want to see something):
There are two objects in the map called "child_heart_1" and "child_heart_2", those would be the glowing things.

RE: Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert* - Alardem - 09-13-2013

Now I'm thinking that Mandus' 'sacrifice' is the missing component required to complete the ritual. Puts a damper on the ending - but it's a little more interesting than a typical redemption tale.

RE: Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert* - Xenomorph - 09-13-2013

(09-13-2013, 03:11 AM)LarryV Wrote:

A reconnection off two halves to make a complete person.

Since, if we're going that Mandus split into two beings--the good and bad--- then we can say the machine has been fully rules by the bad. So connecting the good with it, it can become a more complex entity.

Interesting. Though I don't see why we would be part of the machine anew, since he essentially destroyed it. I just don't understand what you are triggering sitting in the seat. I wish I could have been able to move around that scene more and investigate the twins and the machine before it sat me in the chair.

Merging with the Machine could theoretically give Mandus power - but he dies in order to stop it.

I still think there's a reason why he has his heart ripped out. Sacrificing the Machine itself may, somehow, be what the Stone Egg needs to hatch.

RE: Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert* - Kein - 09-13-2013

Sam, where is the promised behind the scenes? ;p

RE: Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert* - PathOS - 09-13-2013

Part of me is wondering whether most everything that occurred after Oswald destroyed the central control room even happened. At that point Oswald remarks that the machine is all but dead, and it is at that point where the design of the facility becomes more "unhinged" in reality. Could be that the rest of the journey was all in Oswald's mind, since it was his own soul (or half of it) that was keeping the machine "alive" and that's what he really needed to destroy.

(09-13-2013, 03:33 AM)Tobi Wrote: Part of me is wondering whether most everything that occurred after Oswald destroyed the central control room even happened. At that point Oswald remarks that the machine is all but dead, and it is at that point where the design of the facility becomes more "unhinged" in reality. Could be that the rest of the journey was all in Oswald's mind, since it was his own soul (or half of it) that was keeping the machine "alive" and that's what he really needed to destroy.

The last loading screen shows what appears to be the grinder. Obviously we don't see anything of the sort...

RE: Plot Discussion Thread *Spoiler Alert* - PathOS - 09-13-2013

(09-13-2013, 03:35 AM)Alardem Wrote: The last loading screen shows what appears to be the grinder. Obviously we don't see anything of the sort...
I actually really liked how the loading screens showed off your current location in the overall facility (combined with some of the layout maps on the walls). Though yeah, at the end they didn't seem to correspond to what you were really experiencing, which is why I wonder about that.