Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
How do you rate Requiem? (or until now) - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Penumbra: Overture, Black Plague & Requiem (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: How do you rate Requiem? (or until now) (/thread-2299.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: How do you rate Requiem? (or until now) - eliasfrost - 08-30-2008

I haven't played the game yet. So I should keep quite really.. But with what I've heard, I think I'll just skip this and wait for Lux Tenebras instead.. Wink

RE: How do you rate Requiem? (or until now) - suppah - 08-30-2008

I voted "The worst of the series", though it doesn't mean i hated it.

Like some1 already said, it's a bit different kind of game compared to the first and the second, it's basically a puzzle game only, no logs, nothing to read, no scary moments and so on :[

My personal vote-list:

Penumbra Overture : 8
Penumbra Black Plague : 7
Penumbra Requiem : 6 (5.5)

Considering the price i upped from 5.5 to 6 my vote, it's a cheap game and i enjoyed some puzzles, can't say the same for more famous games which cost a gazillion more, so i'd suggest ppl to be kind with the devs, but i agree it's a bit disappointing.

RE: How do you rate Requiem? (or until now) - Im_Sexy - 08-30-2008

Penumbra Black Plague: 9
Overture: 8.5
Requiem: 1

RE: How do you rate Requiem? (or until now) - Dunge - 08-31-2008

It's not that bad, some puzzle were quite good.
Why do you miss the zombies? The characters model/animation and the combats (or evading) were the worst thing about this engine, and they knew it so that's why there is not a lot of them, and I like it that way. Sure more action like any FPS would be nice, but the way it's designed it just wouldn't work.

The level/portal design in this one is bad since most people like open area and starting from a point to another without interruption (like half-life). It was nice though cause that prevent the player from uselessly returning to the start when searching for a solution.

Ending was quite simple too...

RE: How do you rate Requiem? (or until now) - piibii - 08-31-2008

I rated it "bad" because even though some of the puzzles were pretty clever, the game wasn't nearly as scary as I was excepting a Penumbra game to be.
Spoiler below!
For me, the only scary scene happened in the sewers where we caught a glimpse of that swimming worm thing. It made me hesitate to simply jump into the pool and dive for the key at the bottom.
Dunge Wrote:Why do you miss the zombies? The characters model/animation and the combats (or evading) were the worst thing about this engine, and they knew it so that's why there is not a lot of them, and I like it that way.
In my opinion, living and unpredicable creatures are much more effective at adding sense of danger to the game than static environment hazards that can be easily avoided once spotted. Animations and models looked okay to me, but what really bugged me was the small number of different attacks they had. Zombies only had about two different swinging animations which gets old very quickly.

Come to think of it, I am a bit suprised that the devs didn't think about using creatures as part of their puzzles. Some classical creature puzzles include:
  • Make a creature press a pressure plate for you by throwing some item on it (ie. a hunk of meat for a dog)
  • Make a creature fetch some object for you from a place where you can't get in yourself
  • Kill a dangerous creature by setting up a trap for him
  • Make two dangerous creatures fight each other so that you can slip past them safely

RE: How do you rate Requiem? (or until now) - Windows 95 - 08-31-2008

Tech Demo: 9.5
Overture: 9
Black Plague: 7.5
Requiem: 4.5

Maybe Tech Demo is the best penumbra...in my opinion tech demo has better level design and atmosphere than "commercial copies"(overture, black plague, requiem)...I would rate it 10 if it wasn't incomplete.

------
sorry my bad english

RE: How do you rate Requiem? (or until now) - ZIGS - 08-31-2008

Requiem is not worth of the Penumbra name. It's just a puzzle game (and a good one in it's own right) but shouldn't be part of the series. Still, for just 10€, is a good buy and the puzzle lovers will... well, love it Smile

RE: How do you rate Requiem? (or until now) - Im_Sexy - 08-31-2008

Dunge Wrote:It's not that bad, some puzzle were quite good.
Why do you miss the zombies? The characters model/animation and the combats (or evading) were the worst thing about this engine, and they knew it so that's why there is not a lot of them, and I like it that way. Sure more action like any FPS would be nice, but the way it's designed it just wouldn't work.

The level/portal design in this one is bad since most people like open area and starting from a point to another without interruption (like half-life). It was nice though cause that prevent the player from uselessly returning to the start when searching for a solution.

Ending was quite simple too...

Dude...the zombies, creatures etc scary atmosphere are part of the Penumbra, serious. OF COURSE i miss them, didn't you play Overture or Black Plague? That was one heck of an experience. Requiem is just a waste of money and doesn't belong on the family

RE: How do you rate Requiem? (or until now) - Penumbra - 08-31-2008

Yeah, requiem wasn't as good. It got kinda good for me when I found the radio with Red, cuz I was dying to find out if he was alive or not, but besides that, it wasn't really scarry. I admit that I liked it and a few parts near the beggining scared me, but then it was just repetative, so I knew exatly what to except. I'd rate it a 7, but I don't think it should be considered a 'scarry' game.

Most people think the Tech Demo was the best, because you have no idea what to expect. Same with Overture. But in Black Plauge they started using the same methods to scarry you and then finally in Requieme, they just used illusions and mind tricks.

RE: How do you rate Requiem? (or until now) - Tommy Gun - 09-01-2008

yeah, the lack of enemies was dissapointing, so was the lack of any hints of humans.
however, i loved the scripting, and the ending was really good.