Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Beginner asking for some help. - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods - Development (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-38.html)
+---- Forum: Development Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-39.html)
+---- Thread: Beginner asking for some help. (/thread-23379.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Beginner asking for some help. - daortir - 09-26-2013

Damn I feel so stupid now : d. Thanks then, my level is now perfectly working ^^.
I find this parameter thing kinda confusing... But I guess I'll get used to it.

Probably more issues incoming, though !

RE: Beginner asking for some help. - CarnivorousJelly - 09-26-2013

You're not being stupid :p Being stupid is not asking questions! :D

What program are you using to write your scripts?

(09-26-2013, 07:07 AM)Darth FlawlessHair Wrote: <calling me out on my mistakes>
How did I manage that!? Sorry! Ignore me and listen to Mr. Darth FlawlessHair :p (I edited my post anyways).

RE: Beginner asking for some help. - daortir - 09-26-2013

I'm using Geany ^^. Downloaded it a few days ago. I'm gettin used to it, I think I'll discover a few handy things about the way the software helps you about syntax later on, but right now I'm very far from knowing everything about it x).

RE: Beginner asking for some help. - CarnivorousJelly - 09-26-2013

If I remember correctly: there's a setting where you can change the language to C++ in the top bar of drop-down menus (I don't use Geany, I'm going off of one of YC's youtube videos). It colour-codes the types of "things" - strings, integers, floats, bools, etc (I don't know the right word D:).

Definitely helps with proof-reading because, if something's not the right colour, you know where the error is :D

EDIT: Looks like this in Notepad++, but Geany does something similar:
Spoiler below!

[Image: example_of_colour_coding_by_rueppells_fox-d6nzdr6.jpg]

Edit: I just realized I spelled "bed sheets" wrong... I'm just full of mistakes this week! :p

RE: Beginner asking for some help. - daortir - 09-27-2013

Hey !
First of all, I did the Geany thinggie, it's really nice thanks for the tip =).

I'm asking for something again !
I wanted to make some statues spawn. I thought I could do as for a monster : set them to inactive, and make a callback to activate them upon coliding with an area... But when I unchecked Active, nothing happened ^^. They were still there.

So, is there a way to make the deformed_man statues disappear and reappear ?

RE: Beginner asking for some help. - CarnivorousJelly - 09-27-2013

I'm glad the Geany thingy helps :D As for your statue issue:

- It is an entity, so it should disappear (not extremely useful, I know)

- Make sure there's no map_cache files in the virtual storage, they stop changes to your map from occurring (C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME HERE\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Amnesia - The Dark Descent)

- Check that the name of the area in your script and the area in the level editor are the same (it is CaSe SeNsItIvE :p)

- Check that the name of the statues are the same in your script and in the level editor (also case sensitive)

- Check that the name of your script in the AddEntityCollideCallback is the same as where you call the script (also case sensitive)

- If that doesn't work, post your script here and I'll take a looksie c:

RE: Beginner asking for some help. - daortir - 09-27-2013

The point is, there is no script involved ><... It's just like... I set te statue to "Inactive" and it's still there. I tried to leave it active and script it Inactive in the .hps, but it didn't make any difference.
I also tried with another entity, and I had the same problem.
Sadly, I don't think it's about the map_cache, since everything else works and changes are applied u_u...

Anyway right now I did without it, I didn't like the idea of a surprise-buttsecks statue spawn jumpscare of death anyway.

RE: Beginner asking for some help. - CarnivorousJelly - 09-28-2013

Huh... I just tested with the same statue and I got the same result as you. I think it might be a 'static' entity type, which means (for whatever reason) it doesn't go active/inactive (the other ones I know of that are like this are the rows/piles of books).

I thought perhaps using the CreateEntityAtArea script would work, but it didn't exactly work out how I hoped it would; the physics for the statue were created (using physics debug mode, you can see the blocks outlining where the statue is supposed to be, and you can run into it/stand on it), but the actual statue wasn't visible. Sorry, but I don't think I have a solution for this one D: (that's a bit embarrassing).

Perhaps it's better not to use a, as you put it, "surprise-buttsecks statue spawn jumpscare of death" anyways :p

If you still want something like that though, I can reassure you that both the angel and the suit of armor can be set active/inactive :D

RE: Beginner asking for some help. - The chaser - 09-28-2013

As Kiandra said, the statue is indeed static. However, there is a way to turn it into an entity which you can toggle it's state:

-Go to the model editor. Then, open the statue.

-Create a body, feel free to change it's properties (except mass, this one must be 0), and make it match the statue (like a Bounding Box):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_bounding_box
http://www.gameit.es/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/bounding_box.gif

-Go to view<Outline and make the body the parent of the statue (polysurface, or something like that)

-Then, go to User Defined Variables. Set it to Object<Static

-Save it as "mycreepystatue" or whatever you want, note that it MUST have a different name than the original or things will happen. As I said. Save it in "YOURCS<entities<mycreepystatue (again, whatever you want)

However, keep a copy of it in the original entities folder, so you can access it from the level Editor.

RE: Beginner asking for some help. - daortir - 09-30-2013

Hello again everyone !
Since I'm kinda done with my script questions for now, I'd like to get some help on the CS itself, the lighting/atmosphere and stuff : ).

Here are two screenshots of the levels I built so far, would you please look at it and tell me what you think I can improve ?

Spoiler below!

This level is within a dream, after a very short level in the storage that I didn't build yet. Or actually i accidentally deleted half of it. Anyway, here's what the dream/hallucination looks like :
[Image: 1380532486096551900.png]

This is just a random view of the mansion, I choose this angle so you guys can see the lighting. I still have to work on my lamp lighting but I'll post screens later ^^.

[Image: 1380532582021611700.png]