Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Is Alexander Human? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Is Alexander Human? (/thread-23878.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Is Alexander Human? - Cuyir - 11-19-2013

(11-18-2013, 05:51 AM)Alardem Wrote:
(11-18-2013, 03:51 AM)Abraxas Wrote: That's really my biggest hangup about calling him human, but I suppose he could have been accepted into this otherworldly society and did something that warranted his exile.
I guess you could say I'm not entirely convinced one way or the other, although Mandus' note about his 'great uncle' definitely makes for an interesting case about Alexander being human.

Keep in mind that 'human' doesn't necessarily mean he's from earth. It could be that humans exist in many worlds. Wink

The conditions required to hold even human-like evolution patterns in other planets is nearly impossible to be the same as earth's.

You can't have humans from other planets/dimensions because the pattern for evolution is affected by every single detail of a planet's resource and chemical makeup. So no, you can't have humans in other planets. You might have human-esque bipeds that completely function in a different manner.

The odds of a planet having the EXACT SAME evolution patterns as earth are ludicrously low.

So no, Alexander is not a human if he's from another planet/dimension, which he seems to be.

RE: Is Alexander Human? - Mechavomit - 11-19-2013

(11-19-2013, 02:44 PM)Cuyir Wrote: The conditions required to hold even human-like evolution patterns in other planets is nearly impossible to be the same as earth's.

You can't have humans from other planets/dimensions because the pattern for evolution is affected by every single detail of a planet's resource and chemical makeup. So no, you can't have humans in other planets. You might have human-esque bipeds that completely function in a different manner.

The odds of a planet having the EXACT SAME evolution patterns as earth are ludicrously low.

So no, Alexander is not a human if he's from another planet/dimension, which he seems to be.
You're saying this as if other dimensions are a scientific fact. Amnesia is already filled with imagined non-existing stuff, so I think it's save to assume that there could be a race of humanoids very closely resembling humans. Like the Time Lords, as mentioned before.

Also I remember reading about this on TVtropes and people there think he's Nergal. So there is something to think about...

RE: Is Alexander Human? - Alardem - 11-19-2013

I guess the term 'human' comes with plenty of baggage. My point is that I don't believe Alexander to be some misshapen eldritch horror wearing human skin (as is the case with the Grunts), but instead a person from an advanced time period. Coming from a different universe and doing evil things do not exclude his humanity. You may as well call Daniel, Justine and Oswald monsters as well.

My memory of the capsules is pretty foggy, so I can't be sure what he has to say about the people of earth. But I'm willing to bet he's more along the lines of a sorcerer or evil Time Lord than a cousin of Cthulhu.

RE: Is Alexander Human? - Mechavomit - 11-19-2013

(11-19-2013, 07:41 PM)Alardem Wrote: My memory of the capsules is pretty foggy, so I can't be sure what he has to say about the people of earth. But I'm willing to bet he's more along the lines of a sorcerer or evil Time Lord than a cousin of Cthulhu.
"Where I come from humankind isn't even wasted a breath, yet I bow to you"
Not an exact quote, but something along those lines?

RE: Is Alexander Human? - Yuhaney - 11-19-2013

I'd say he's as much human as the Tuurngait in Penumbra series.

RE: Is Alexander Human? - Alardem - 11-20-2013

Quote:"Where I come from humankind isn't even wasted a breath, yet I bow to you"

That's pretty harsh! Though I suppose you could construe it to mean that in Alexander's world, humans are rather insignificant compared to the other beings living in the world.

(11-19-2013, 08:43 PM)Scraper Wrote: I'd say he's as much human as the Tuurngait in Penumbra series.

Perhaps the Tuurngait comes from Alexander's dimension, or somewhere similar. :p I personally like to believe Penumbra, Amnesia and Soma exist in the same fictional setting.

RE: Is Alexander Human? - Froge - 11-20-2013

(11-20-2013, 01:36 AM)Alardem Wrote:
Quote:"Where I come from humankind isn't even wasted a breath, yet I bow to you"

That's pretty harsh! Though I suppose you could construe it to mean that in Alexander's world, humans are rather insignificant compared to the other beings living in the world.
I don't think that's a quote from the game. I think I heard it in a custom story somewhere, either Abduction or through the portal

RE: Is Alexander Human? - Cuyir - 11-20-2013

(11-19-2013, 07:41 PM)Alardem Wrote: I guess the term 'human' comes with plenty of baggage. My point is that I don't believe Alexander to be some misshapen eldritch horror wearing human skin (as is the case with the Grunts), but instead a person from an advanced time period. Coming from a different universe and doing evil things do not exclude his humanity. You may as well call Daniel, Justine and Oswald monsters as well.

My memory of the capsules is pretty foggy, so I can't be sure what he has to say about the people of earth. But I'm willing to bet he's more along the lines of a sorcerer or evil Time Lord than a cousin of Cthulhu.
Daniel, Justine and Oswald are humans though (although Oswald could be a hybrid considering his lineage). We're not having a discussion about how someone's atrocities make them human or not , but instead if Alexander is human as a species. A being. A thing.

Everything I can remember about TDD is that he was from another dimension. He seems to have humanoid structure but this doesn't make him human. He doesn't look like a human (his true form). He wasn't born a human. And he wasn't born on earth. He's from another plane of existence, and is humanoid enough that he can disguise himself. Does not make him human.

RE: Is Alexander Human? - Mechavomit - 11-20-2013

(11-20-2013, 01:44 AM)Demonofrog Wrote:
(11-20-2013, 01:36 AM)Alardem Wrote:

I don't think that's a quote from the game. I think I heard it in a custom story somewhere, either Abduction or through the portal
It's from a memory capsule in the study.
"When will it be my turn? Have I not shown restraint? My patience spans centuries. From where I came, mankind is not even wasted a breath, yet I bow to you. I have done so much for you and I have gained nothing in return. Agrippa, I trusted you. It was I who in all fairness should have entered that gate."

Hey, I was pretty close (:

RE: Is Alexander Human? - linkhead2 - 12-22-2013

he isnt alien he is just a person using magic to send horror and dispare